Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let’s see your wagons with 35 and 37’s

jadmt

Reaction score
Thank you for the links! I may go from 35s to 37s on the factory wheel and use a 20mm hubcentric spacer :eek:. lol

Anyone have the weight of the OEM wheel and the AEV wheels? That's probably the only thing that would sway me to go with an aftermarket wheel at this point.
the AEV saltas are 33lbs. I should have weighed my stock ones when I had them but going by the curl method they are fairly close within 2-3lbs or so. I was kind of surprised at how light the Saltas felt but then again is just a 17x8.5 wheel.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
NP! But I'm not sure about the wheel spacer with that much wheel-tire weight. I do run wheel spacers on my 4th gen Toyota 4Runner but it only has a 31 inch tall tire.

I know there is a constant debate on wheel spacers. I would never run spacers that are not hubcentric. When you run a simple spacer you end up removing the hub support and put the entire load on the studs. Wheel studs are never meant to support the weight of the vehicle. They are meant to keep the wheel on (horizontal load <-->).
The center bore of the wheel and hub support the weight of the vehicle (vertical forces) and that's how OEMs design it. A quality hub centric spacer provides hub support. They are also expensive when compared to just a simple spacer. People that cheap out on spacers also probably don't spend the money to swap out the studs when it's appropriate. Which is a dangerous combo.

I've used them in my track cars for years and they are under serious load and G's. Many tech inspectors won't allow spacers unless they are hubcentric.

My two cents and I know some will disagree.

HDHP

Reaction score
I know there is a constant debate on wheel spacers. I would never run spacers that are not hubcentric. When you run a simple spacer you end up removing the hub support and put the entire load on the studs. Wheel studs are never meant to support the weight of the vehicle. They are meant to keep the wheel on (horizontal load <-->).
The center bore of the wheel and hub support the weight of the vehicle (vertical forces) and that's OEMs design it. A quality hub centric spacer provides hub support. They are also expensive when compared to just a simple spacer. People that cheap out on spacers also probably don't spend the money to swap out the studs when it's appropriate. Which is a dangerous combo.

I've used them in my track cars for years and they are under serious load and G's. Many tech inspectors won't allow spacers unless they are hubcentric.

That makes perfect sense to me!

HDHP

dave41079

Reaction score
The center bore of the wheel and hub support the weight of the vehicle (vertical forces) and that's how OEMs design it. A quality hub centric spacer provides hub support. They are also expensive when compared to just a simple spacer. People that cheap out on spacers also probably don't spend the money to swap out the studs when it's appropriate. Which is a dangerous combo.

I agree with all of this and try to educate people, but it does get tiresome. Motorsport Tech/BORA has gotten more of my money than I like to admit.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Also on a related note. If you get aftermarket wheels that are not center bore specific for your vehicle then you are essentially adding a simple spacer to your hub. You're vehicle is now completely relying on your wheel studs to support your vehicle weight. These are the same people that are against wheel spacers. That's why AEV makes their wheels with a center bore that is vehicle specific (at least I hope they do).

You could also add hub rings to your aftermarket wheels to solve the above issue, but don't use the cheap plastic ones. Use quality metal ones (usually aluminum to keep them from corroding). Wheel shops will tell they are just to help align the studs into the holes of the wheel so just get the plastic ones. BS...

Last edited:

HDHP

Reaction score
I agree with all of this and try to educate people, but it does get tiresome. Motorsport Tech/BORA has gotten more of my money than I like to admit.
LOL, My only kind of Sport is MotorSports!! However, I do go to the gym and train! I love Motocross and that sport will Kick Your Axx

HDHP

pdavey

Reaction score
Also on a related note. If you get aftermarket wheels that are not center bore specific for your vehicle then you are essentially adding a simple spacer to your hub. You're vehicle is now completely relying on your wheel studs to support your vehicle weight. These are the same people that are against wheel spacers. That's why AEV makes their wheels with a center bore that is vehicle specific (at least I hope they do).

You could also add hub rings to your aftermarket wheels to solve the above issue, but don't use the cheap plastic ones. Use quality metal ones (usually aluminum to keep them from corroding). Wheel shops will tell they are just to help align the studs into the holes of the wheel so just get the plastic ones. BS...
Yes AEVs are specifically designed for the Ram to fit up to 37 inch tires.

Their 10" rims are designed for 40+ but you need their fender flares and a suspension lift etc. It ends up being very costly.

I will weigh the stock rim once I replace them out with the AEVs.

Also went a bit crazy and orders the Thuren 2.5 suspension so going to do a 1/2 inch lift over the PW factory.

Will start a build thread here and on powerwagonregistry.org as well.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

HDHP

Reaction score

Wow, I never thought of that! It makes perfect sense. My 4Runner wheels are hub-centric! They must know something! lol

HDHP

jadmt

Reaction score
So I could go into a big dialog here and bore (pun) everyone to death but I won't. BORA (motorsporttech) are top notch as is Spidertrax but Spidertrax does not make spacers for our trucks so BORA is the go to for spacers and custom made hub centric rings. that all said in the beginning AEV said hub centric was very important and sold a lot of wheels based on being one of the few who were selling hub centrics. then one day I get a set of Pintler AEV wheels and noticed they are not hub centric. AEV claimed they did not know for sure when they stopped being hub centric but that hub centric was not a big deal any more as lug centric wheels were just fine, if you notice AEV no longer touts hub centric on their web page. On spacers I definitely would only do hub centric on wheels not so much as I have had many sets of both kinds and never had issues. I have 1000's of hard off road miles with spidertrax spacers and would have no issues running them on my truck.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
So I could go into a big dialog here and bore (pun) everyone to death but I won't. BORA (motorsporttech) are top notch as is Spidertrax but Spidertrax does not make spacers for our trucks so BORA is the go to for spacers and custom made hub centric rings. that all said in the beginning AEV said hub centric was very important and sold a lot of wheels based on being one of the few who were selling hub centrics. then one day I get a set of Pintler AEV wheels and noticed they are not hub centric. AEV claimed they did not know for sure when they stopped being hub centric but that hub centric was not a big deal any more as lug centric wheels were just fine, if you notice AEV no longer touts hub centric on their web page. On spacers I definitely would only do hub centric on wheels not so much as I have had many sets of both kinds and never had issues. I have 1000's of hard off road miles with spidertrax spacers and would have no issues running them on my truck.

Wow, good to know.

Stojanowski

Reaction score
Just keep in mind you will lose your back-up camera whenever running those swing arm spare tire mounts. I still haven't seen anyone offer a camera relocation kit for those setups.
Yup I want one but that's the only reason I don't get it the back up camera... They make relocation kits for other models

pdavey

Reaction score
Expedition One has a relocation kit to the license plate.

Here is my install.
75c8578535190c9469273019874bd1eb.jpg

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Expedition One has a relocation kit to the license plate.

Here is my install.
75c8578535190c9469273019874bd1eb.jpg

Thank you for letting us know! This will be an option I consider when I step up to a 37. Waiting on my bed rack to arrive first.
Also, depending on the spare wheel you have mounted the factory location for the camera may work by still seeing through the spokes of the wheel. Giving you a "good enough" view.

Last edited:

pdavey

Reaction score
The tailgate opened while I was towing and bent against the aluminum cover over the propane tanks at the front of the AS.

The good news with the new bumper that will never happen again

Since that pic was taken I have shaped it back to almost normal. Likely will get a new one in the coming months. Just haven't had the time to take it to my auto body guy.

pdavey

Reaction score
Nice pics-gives me ideas for when my PW finally arrives. Thanks for sharing. I spied the matching Challenger sitting there as well.
You could say I have a Hemi addiction .

I have a 2005 Power Wagon with the 5.7 Hemi, 2012 Challenger SRT8 in Tungsten Gray and my 2019 Power Wagon with the 6.4 Hemi

If you ever need ideas on how to spend your money on upgrades just ask.

Aside from the AEV rims on order for 37s I also have an order in with Thuren for their King 2.5 Suspension upgrade.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
This (in red) is not accurate.

When you bolt two flanges together, the bolts are simply applying the clamping force. That clamping force multiplied by the surface area of the mating surfaces is where you get the strength between the two flanges. The bolts are only seeing load in the clamping direction, they’re not seeing any rotational torque at all. (Unless your lug nuts come loose and then your studs will break very quickly) That’s why you need a specific torque value evenly applied to the flanges to seat them together perfectly.

This principle applies whether it’s wheels on hubs or driveshafts with flanges. The four 10mm bolts that bolt a driveshaft to the output flange aren’t what is transferring the power.

I will agree that Hub centric Is better than lug centric but not because of strength, it’s because is centers the wheel better (tire shops can balance them easier). Most aftermarket wheels are lug centric and they are just fine.

the reason wheel spacers are mostly bad is because of many reasons.
1. they’re usually aluminum, if you over torque them, you end up with lug nuts that don’t stay tight or wiggly studs
2. You’re increasing force on the wheel bearings by putting additional leverage on them
3. You’re stacking tolerances
4. Typically people are putting a lug centric wheel on a lug centric spacer (see stacking tolerances)
5. Or, Even worse, a hub centric wheel on a lug centric spacer
6. They’re usually cheap quality

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread