Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let’s see your wagons with 35 and 37’s

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I thought the AEV wheel was the same width as OEM. That's why I used offset as a straight comparison. Backspacing measurement is a not a good system to figure fitment. In my opinion.

Roughly, the 8.5" +27mm AEV wheel should fit 0.5" further away from the inside suspension and extend out from the fender 1" compared to an 8" wide +45mm OEM wheel.

Last edited:

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I thought the AEV wheel was the same width as OEM. That's why I used offset as a straight comparison. Backspacing measurement is a not a good system to figure fitment. In my opinion.

Roughly, the 8.5" +27mm AEV wheel should fit 0.5" further away from the inside suspension and extend out from the fender 1" compared to an 8" wide +45mm OEM wheel.
You are correct. Power Wagon wheels are 8.5" wide just like the AEVs and the non-PW wheels are 8"

Edited - as corrected below, PW wheels are now also 8" wide.

Last edited:

jadmt

Reaction score
now it is possible the 75th A edition has 8.5" wide wheels.

GeneralClortho

Reaction score

Edit. PW wheels are the same width as AEV so the above only applies to non-PW. Thank you @LateToTheParty Makes me want to try 37's on OEM PW wheels even more now.

Right, you have to be careful with backspacing and offset as they are not the same animal. You cannot use the offset from the factory PW 8" wide wheel and compare it apples to apples with the AEV 8.5" wide wheel. I like to convert the offset to the actual backspacing because you can put a tape on it easily sitting on your garage floor, and my brain thinks like that.

Also, some corporate tire shops may give you grief about putting a 12.5 wide tire on an 8" wide wheel because most of the tire manufactures state a 8.5" minimum wheel. I got around this in the past by saying, "Oh, no, these are special factory wheels that come with this package that are wider than normal factory ones." and they bought it, lol.

pdavey

Reaction score
Just for everyone’s education I found this by Josh Bennett which is a great write up on going to 37s on a Power Wagon

additionally Don Thuren did a great write-up on moving to larger tires on Ram

I am currently in the process of moving from 35s to 37s on my 19 Wagon. Likely going with the AEV Salta’s and trying to decide on tire right now. Likely going to go back to the Nitto Trail Grapplers or Toyo Open Country M/T

Here is my current set up with 35s on stock rims Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35x12.5x17
9a234e520c44a89383027d43083431e1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MtnRider

Reaction score
Just for everyone’s education I found this by Josh Bennett which is a great write up on going to 37s on a Power Wagon

I am currently in the process of moving from 35s to 37s on my 19 Wagon. Likely going with the AEV Salta’s and trying to decide on tire right now. Likely going to go back to the Nitto Trail Grapplers or Toyo Open Country M/T

Here is my current set up with 35s on stock rims Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35x12.5x17
9a234e520c44a89383027d43083431e1.jpg

What fender flares are you running there?

pdavey

Reaction score
now it is possible the 75th A edition has 8.5" wide wheels.

Confirmed the 2021 75th anniversary edition is also 8.0” wheels. I have not been able to get the specs on the off-set though which could be different.

If the offset is larger tire friendly then that could explain some things.

pdavey

Reaction score
What fender flares are you running there?

Those are the stock flares from the 19+ Power Wagons. Definitely a bit better looking then the 05-18 ones.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Those are the stock flares from the 19+ Power Wagons. Definitely a bit better looking then the 05-18 ones.

Thanks, guess I never noticed that little bump out at the top before? Seems like it was meant to put a running light or something there (kind of like the new Chevy's)

pdavey

Reaction score
Yeah there is a thread on another part of this forum talking about putting lights or reflectors in there.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

dave41079

Reaction score
Width and offset is the same on the 75th, confirmed from the stamp on the back of my wheel. I don't have a picture of it. Maybe I'll get one when there isn't 8" of snow on the ground.

pdavey

Reaction score
Thanks for checking. Solidified my decision to order the AEV Salta rims in matte black. Now to order the 37 inch tires.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Badunit

Reaction score
You are correct. Power Wagon wheels are 8.5" wide just like the AEVs and the non-PW wheels are 8"

Edited - as corrected below, PW wheels are now also 8" wide.

"now also.." implies they used to be different. When did they change to 8" wide and what were they before? I had not looked at PWs until this year and one thing I would want to do if I got one is increase the tire size. It seems that 35" and up is when the mfgs start calling for wheels wider than 8".

dave41079

Reaction score
"now also.." implies they used to be different. When did they change to 8" wide and what were they before? I had not looked at PWs until this year and one thing I would want to do if I got one is increase the tire size. It seems that 35" and up is when the mfgs start calling for wheels wider than 8".
35s and 37s are perfectly fine on an 8" wide wheel.

HDHP

Reaction score
is there a rear bumper carrier that will hold a 37"?
ria
Yes I seen a YouTube video.
A guy out in Utah had a prototype rear tire carrier that held a 40" i can't remember his company name sry.
Just search 40" tire carrier/rear bumper on the Tube... Hope this helps..

HDHP

HDHP

Reaction score
Yes I seen a YouTube video.
A guy out in Utah had a prototype rear tire carrier that held a 40" i can't remember his company name sry.
Just search 40" tire carrier/rear bumper on the Tube... Hope this helps..

HDHP
here is the link!!

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Just keep in mind you will lose your back-up camera whenever running those swing arm spare tire mounts. I still haven't seen anyone offer a camera relocation kit for those setups.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

Thank you for the links! I may go from 35s to 37s on the factory wheel and use a 20mm hubcentric spacer :eek:. lol

Anyone have the weight of the OEM wheel and the AEV wheels? That's probably the only thing that would sway me to go with an aftermarket wheel at this point.

HDHP

Reaction score
Thank you for the links! I may go from 35s to 37s on the factory wheel and use a 20mm hubcentric spacer :eek:. lol

Anyone have the weight of the OEM wheel and the AEV wheels? That's probably the only thing that would sway me to go with an aftermarket wheel at this point.
NP! But I'm not sure about the wheel spacer with that much wheel-tire weight. I do run wheel spacers on my 4th gen Toyota 4Runner but it only has a 31 inch tall tire.

Users who are viewing this thread