Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let’s see your wagons with 35 and 37’s

dave41079

Reaction score
I wish there was a radical re-design of the Ram boxes that would work with a topper. The Ram boxes are such a great idea, and the perfect spot for recovery gear, etc. It would be cool if you could access that space but still have a topper. I'm probably alone in this, so I'll go back to pretending I'm getting work done ;)
You're not alone. I opted not to get Ramboxes because I plan on running a Softopper. I'd love to have both, but the Softopper trumped the boxes.

stickshifter

Reaction score
You're not alone. I opted not to get Ramboxes because I plan on running a Softopper. I'd love to have both, but the Softopper trumped the boxes.
Yeah, for me a topper is more important than the Ram boxes, but it all comes down to how you use the truck. I can see why the Ram boxes are so popular.

jadmt

Reaction score
I recently put a Softopper on and the one big draw back is I just got back from Moab and while we camped most of the time we did spend a night in a motel one night. I worried about the security of all my gear. nothing like pulling into a motel/hotel parking lot and seeing 10 tweekers smoking pot all eyeballing your rigs...My buddy had a hard cap and I doubt he was nearly as worried as I was lol.

dave41079

Reaction score
I recently put a Softopper on and the one big draw back is I just got back from Moab and while we camped most of the time we did spend a night in a motel one night. I worried about the security of all my gear. nothing like pulling into a motel/hotel parking lot and seeing 10 tweekers smoking pot all eyeballing your rigs...My buddy had a hard cap and I doubt he was nearly as worried as I was lol.
Yeah that's a concern. I had a Softopper on my Tacoma and loved the versatility of it. I took that truck on a 10,000 mile road trip to every state west of the Mississippi and never had any issues. That being said, I could just as easily go to Home Depot and have someone break in. I just try to did my best to park in well lit areas and back up to something if possible to keep anyone from seeing in the back.

jadmt

Reaction score
Yeah that's a concern. I had a Softopper on my Tacoma and loved the versatility of it. I took that truck on a 10,000 mile road trip to every state west of the Mississippi and never had any issues. That being said, I could just as easily go to Home Depot and have someone break in. I just try to did my best to park in well lit areas and back up to something if possible to keep anyone from seeing in the back.
I have a solid rear panel which helps.

el_barto

Reaction score
I had a soft topper on my last truck. As others said, loved the versatility... but lacked security. Also disliked the blind spots it created. No Windows on the side, and the rear window got so super hazy after a couple years it was worthless. Also it blocks the 3rd brake light .
Have a Diamondback cover on the PW. It’s not perfect, but I like that it’s secure, retains all rear visibility, can load a pallet or anything on it (1600lb capacity). Dislike, it is more difficult to put large items inside, not as easy to take off the truck, can’t really sleep in it. The toolbox Diamondback is perfect, fits under the cover and because the front part of the lid opens rearward, the CHSML cargo lights illuminate the contents(unlike a normal toolbox that has the lid open towards the window.)

jadmt

Reaction score
I had a soft topper on my last truck. As others said, loved the versatility... but lacked security. Also disliked the blind spots it created. No Windows on the side, and the rear window got so super hazy after a couple years it was worthless. Also it blocks the 3rd brake light .
Have a Diamondback cover on the PW. It’s not perfect, but I like that it’s secure, retains all rear visibility, can load a pallet or anything on it (1600lb capacity). Dislike, it is more difficult to put large items inside, not as easy to take off the truck, can’t really sleep in it. The toolbox Diamondback is perfect, fits under the cover and because the front part of the lid opens rearward, the CHSML cargo lights illuminate the contents(unlike a normal toolbox that has the lid open towards the window.)
I put a 3rd brake light on which took about 10 minutes to do as RAM provides a 3rd brake light wire just for that. I am used to jeeps so I ordered a solid rear panel so no hazy window :). funny I thought I would have blind spots but the Power Wagon mirrors are exceptional and no blind spots at all. Only thing I don't like is lack of security when traveling and the rear panel is a dust collector when on dusty roads. It is a mess when you need to open it .

@JC

Reaction score
There you go, looking good!

Stojanowski

Reaction score
Looks great! What tires & wheels? They look like 35s and maybe the AEV Savegre wheel? Did you get a spare in the same size, and if so, did it fit under the truck in the spare location? Thanks!!
They are the 17" AEV Katla with 37" Yokohama Geolander X-AT. Minimal rub right now usually when the 9 month pregnant wife is sitting in the truck. Hope she doesn't read the forums...

Planning on getting the Rigd Spare Wheel holder once I unload the stocks

stickshifter

Reaction score
They are the 17" AEV Katla with 37" Yokohama Geolander X-AT. Minimal rub right now usually when the 9 month pregnant wife is sitting in the truck. Hope she doesn't read the forums...

Planning on getting the Rigd Spare Wheel holder once I unload the stocks
Wow, these trucks make 37s look... right-sized! Yes, I hope she doesn’t read the forums

MAKwagon

Reaction score
I’m sure it’s on here and I’ve missed but could anyone one from Canada let me know where they got their speedo and tpms calibrator from? I live in southern Ontario. I’d like to get the AEV one but their website won’t allow me to ship up here.

I just ordered my 2021 75th Anniversary Power Wagon and I’m going with 35x12.5R 17 Toto Open Country M/T.

Squatch

Reaction score
I’m sure it’s on here and I’ve missed but could anyone one from Canada let me know where they got their speedo and tpms calibrator from? I live in southern Ontario. I’d like to get the AEV one but their website won’t allow me to ship up here.

I just ordered my 2021 75th Anniversary Power Wagon and I’m going with 35x12.5R 17 Toto Open Country M/T.
You’re talking less than a 1” increase in radius, manufacturer specs that tire at 34.8”. I wouldn’t even worry about it, you won’t be off but a few mph at most at highway speed.

@JC

Reaction score
You'd think so but the speedo on mine was off from the factory with the stock tires, it was way off with the 35 Nitto RGs I put on.

jadmt

Reaction score

northridge4x4 can help you out.

jadmt

Reaction score
You’re talking less than a 1” increase in radius, manufacturer specs that tire at 34.8”. I wouldn’t even worry about it, you won’t be off but a few mph at most at highway speed.
it made a big difference for me. Stock duratracs are actually 31.6" and that is what RAM has them calculated at. With the procal snap and probably all the rest you can see what stock inputs are.

Squatch

Reaction score
That explains why people’s are off so far when stock! My stock tires were 33, I thought they were all the same. Sorry for the misinformation.

dave41079

Reaction score

I used AlfaOBD and an OBDlink MX+. The OBDlink LX will also work. I think I spent $100 in total between the OBD reader and the app. It also allowed me to change tire pressures, keep my foglights on with high beams, show the current gear in the EVIC, among many other things. It does take a little bit of work, but it's overall pretty easy to use.

Users who are viewing this thread