Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 110 33.5%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 64.9%

• Total voters

Brad83

Reaction score
I just started closing the door but not latching it. Even if it catches the first latch it won't set the horn off

Drew M

Reaction score
I'd like either the ability to disable it, or have a softer/quieter tone.

mountainears

Reaction score
One of the dumbest features on a vehicle. Get it outta here. Can alpha disable it?

I know this is a long thread… short answer no. Long answer, read through the thread. There are some options but they take work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tojo

Reaction score
I like how this thread was started by "RamCares" and then they ghost it. Good idea but no chance of them ever helping.

jebruns

Reaction score
As it turns out, they don't care what the jury says. RamCares posted in the middle of this thread somewhere about all the "benefits" of this hated "feature". You could almost read in their response that they got their head shaped by the powers that be, and that there would be no fix coming for this stupid honking mess of a warning.

EDIT: Here's the response. I know corporate speak, and this is a good example of them saying "we are not going to do anything about it":

Diputs

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this setting does? Would it disable it?
Screenshot_20230924_201205_AlfaOBD.jpg

rupert

Reaction score
I saw a YouTube video where a guy showed when you exit the vehicle, hold the fob against the outside of the window when you close the door and the the 3 honks won't happen. I tried it and it worked.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I saw a YouTube video where a guy showed when you exit the vehicle, hold the fob against the outside of the window when you close the door and the the 3 honks won't happen. I tried it and it worked.
This does workI've done it a few times. But if I can remember to hold the key to the window then I'll just pull it out of my pocket instead.

mountainears

Reaction score
It gets the job done. It’s annoying as heck and was worth the effort in my boo (at least the way I did it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blythkd1

Reaction score
This horn issue is really starting to wear on me. Not only the 3 chirp BS, now the alarm. I left my wife sitting in the truck a few nights ago late at night. It wasn't really a very nice place so I locked the door before I got, with a key fob in the console. I came back out with a couple bags of ice so my wife opened the door to hand me the camper keys and it was on. The F'n horn started blaring loud enough to wake the dead. I never knew how loud it is. I dug the other fob out of my pocket and hit the alarm button to which it responded by honking faster. I hit the lock button...kept honking. So I walked around the truck, got in and started it...kept honking. I hit the fob buttons repeatedly until the F'n POS finally quit. Being just after midnight, it was more than very annoying. This post is very mild compared to what I would have posted at that moment, I was so pissed. Then there's lights that you can't shut off. All this crap will weigh heavily on my next truck purchase decision. Of course, the other brands may all have the same issues by now, Idk, but I'll check.

Does anyone at @RamCares give 2 sh*ts? Better wake <redacted> up. Read through the posts, most of us hate this. Would it really hurt anything to allow us to turn all this automatic crap off is we so choose? I'm literally ready to unhook this POS horn.

Last edited by a moderator:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
This horn issue is really starting to wear on me. Not only the 3 chirp BS, now the alarm. I left my wife sitting in the truck a few nights ago late at night. It wasn't really a very nice place so I locked the door before I got, with a key fob in the console. I came back out with a couple bags of ice so my wife opened the door to hand me the camper keys and it was on. The F'n horn started blaring loud enough to wake the dead. I never knew how loud it is. I dug the other fob out of my pocket and hit the alarm button to which it responded by honking faster. I hit the lock button...kept honking. So I walked around the truck, got in and started it...kept honking. I hit the fob buttons repeatedly until the F'n POS finally quit. Being just after midnight, it was more than very annoying. This post is very mild compared to what I would have posted at that moment, I was so pissed. Then there's lights that you can't shut off. All this crap will weigh heavily on my next truck purchase decision. Of course, the other brands may all have the same issues by now, Idk, but I'll check.

Does anyone at @RamCares give 2 sh*ts? Better wake the Fk up. Read through the posts, most of us hate this. Would it really hurt anything to allow us to turn all this automatic crap off is we so choose? I'm literally ready to unhook this POS horn.

The 3 horn chirp is nothing short of BS, but that is how the alarm is supposed to work. You locked the truck, so when it was unlocked from the inside it basically thought that someone had broken the glass and opened the door. The alarms have worked like that for many years, on most or all brands. The unlock button is usually what shuts the alarm off because the truck gets a signal to be in the state that it's in, lock just says you didn't want it opened from the inside, and panic mode is different too.

AFIK you can use AlfaOBD (maybe JScan) to disable the alarm.

sstoner911

Reaction score

Does anyone at @RamCares give 2 sh*ts? Better wake the Fk up. Read through the posts, most of us hate this. Would it really hurt anything to allow us to turn all this automatic crap off is we so choose? I'm literally ready to unhook this POS horn.
Wow...I mean the unlock button is your friend.

As far as the 3 horn beeps when you take the FOB with you, I barely notice it.

All new vehicles do it....my Scat , Jeep Rubicon and no my Ford Bronco.i had a 22 F350 that did it as well...

The Jeep and Bronco all have after market programmers to disable it. The guy at AlfaOBD is gonna have to see if it's something they can Crack in the computer.

I sometimes will not fully close the drivers door if Iam doing something quick so it doesn't honk, but otherwise if I have to deal with it I guess everyone will have to as well.

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
One of the things I really don't like is that the 3 horn beep is literally an announcement to everyone that is aware of exactly what it means, that your truck is on and the key isn't inside it.

However, if you go into the driver seat it even just break a window, you can just jump right inside and go.

Users who are viewing this thread