Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 110 33.5%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 64.9%

• Total voters

sstoner911

Reaction score
I was hooking up my camper yesterday and my neighbor was looking at me like I was crazy every time I got out . Finally just left the door open.

In these situations I just leave the FOB on the console.

CortexM0

Reaction score
Our other vehicle does not honk when you leave with a key. In the 5+ years we've owned it, there has not been a single time where I wished it provided me with this notification. However in just a few months of RAM ownership, there have been dozens of times when I wished our Ram did not.

These are heavy duty pickups designed for towing! This obviously means multiple trips in and out of the truck while connecting and disconnecting trailers. The worst is when you're coming into a campsite late, or leaving really early. Based on the looks I've gotten from some of my neighbors, this safety feature may prove to be more hazardous than helpful.

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
not sure if it would be the same on our rams but my wife ordered up some fuse thing for her 2023 jeep limited that eliminated the 3 chirp. it did make the horn sound funny though.

mountainears

Reaction score
not sure if it would be the same on our rams but my wife ordered up some fuse thing for her 2023 jeep limited that eliminated the 3 chirp. it did make the horn sound funny though.
Providing a bit more info on what she bought might help determine that.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I don't feel I've put too many negative feelz out there with the horns lmao

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't feel I've put too many negative feelz out there with the horns lmao

I expect you use them responsibly. Unfortunately, there are those that seem bent on causing hearing loss or cardiac arrest to other nearby drivers so I have a pretty firm disdain for them. Sorta along the same lines as the idiots that roll coal just to show how little their D* is.

Alligator John

Reaction score
Today I installed a horn cut off switch. I had got a well used wireless corvette mild to wild exhaust switch from forum member mountainears and tinkered with pairing the fob with my homelink buttons, but it required two homelink buttons, one button for on and one for off. I only had one homelink button left that was not already being used. I could have replaced the controller with a single latching one, but I had an extra unused manual switch already installed in my dash. So I removed and used the switched fuse pigtail from the corvette mild to wild, plugged it into fuse location #42(horn), and hard wired it through the firewall to my unused in dash switch. Very KISS solution. When I am hunting, running from gate to gate, or in and out at the boat ramp, etc. I can just hit the switch and kill the horn until I am done. If I find I am not remembering to turn it back on, I may look for a "delay on" relay to wire inline so it automatically turns back on by itself after a set amount of time.

Last edited:

ofishl1

Reaction score
Leaving for trips in AZ at 400AM to beat the heat, being so quiet to go back to lock gates after pulling trailer out, but nope you took your keys...AND just woke the neighbors who think a crazed UPS driver is in the neighborhood....most useless alert on my 23 CTD I have ever experienced...

Users who are viewing this thread