Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 110 33.5%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 64.9%

• Total voters

Lettikka

Reaction score
My power wagon was not ordered with the upfitter module, so that ruled out the VISM method. Too much involved and too much cost for the parts to add it after the fact. I mainly need to be able to switch it off while I am hunting at the ranch, or at the farm opening gates. A simple fuse switch should be fine for my purpose.
That's what I am going with. Not paying $56 on amazon for one so I am going to build one and hope to use some of the pass through wiring already in the fire wall to keep from having to poke any new wiring into the engine bay.

Alligator John

Reaction score
Very late last night I locked my new truck from inside my house for the first time. My neighbors bedroom window is close to my driveway. It honked and I was like "Oh Crap I need to turn that off". So this morning I went into settings and turned off the honk from that feature. Very simple, very easy, my choice, as it should be. Why on earth is it so hard give us that same option to turn off the three honk?

Lettikka

Reaction score
I had the drivers side wheel well out this weekend to install some wheel lights and while in there I was going to cut the horn wire and extend it to a switch in the cab such that I could open the circuit with the switch when I get out of the truck and leave it running. The issue I had with this idea is that the horn wire is so short up in the wheel well it does not leave much room for splicing a wire into the existing wire cleanly. An easy solution would be to build a jumper wire with the switch in it with the ends of the jumper wire being the same plug that connects the wires to the horn. This way I could pull the plug out of the horn and plug my jumper wire into the existing male and female ends of the existing plug. To do this I need the identical plug that is stock for the horn connection. Can any of you help me identify this plug so that I can purchase one?

Attachments

• PXL_20230723_135156307.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230723_135156307.MP.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230723_135322685.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230723_135322685.MP.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230723_135400333.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230723_135400333.MP.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230723_135111540.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230723_135111540.MP.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 10

mountainears

Reaction score
I would say it’s probably easier to just pull the fuse box and tap a wire in there. Fuse box comes out real easy. If you look at the documentation I wrote for disabling the chirp by using the VSIM module it shows what is needed to re-pin the fuse lead for the horn circuit. Then just run a switch to that. The pins are cheap too.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I am surprised there has not been a programmer to eliminate the horn honk when the FOB leaves the vehicle, FlashCal from Superchips has one for the Ford Broncos. Perhaps FCA has these trucks locked down more than Ford.

Bombaman

Reaction score
Thanks to the recommendation to put your key up against the passenger window when closing the door, has saved many 3-chrip honks.

Alligator John

Reaction score
Thanks to the recommendation to put your key up against the passenger window when closing the door, has saved many 3-chrip honks.
For whatever reason this does not work with my Power Wagon. Several tries after watching the youtube videos on it, I still get the honks.

Lettikka

Reaction score
For whatever reason this does not work with my Power Wagon. Several tries after watching the youtube videos on it, I still get the honks.
I have been through trying a bunch of solutions and dismissed the key against the window trick as a more permanent solutions seemed better. A few days I figured out that if I set the key against the lower left corner of the back window it worked!! I had tried other places in the window before and it didn't work. Very glad to have found this spot. This is better than nothing. Hope to see a change in programming in the future.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can remember to hold the key against the glass why don’t you just leave the key on the center console and not do a monkey dance?

As stated many times in this thread, the issue is getting out with the key in your pocket and forgetting it’s there. None of the “fixes” work with that.

Bombaman

Reaction score
I leave my truck running when running quick errands and want to keep it locked. Or accidentally hitting the lock button when getting out and locking your keys inside. Multiple reasons

Edit: lock button on the door panel that is. Had it happen to my wife when I still had the connected trial so was luckily able to unlock from my phone

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
In that more rare instance it’s also easy to have the drivers window down and hold the key in the cab, then hit the auto up and walk away.

The truck won’t let you lock the key inside.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
The truck won’t let you lock the key inside.
Only if you push all the locks down manually. Just encountered that yesterday. It was 100 degrees and I wanted to leave the truck running while I ran into the C store. Everything has to be so damned complicated now. I used to hit the elec lock button, push down one lock and walk away. Now I have to push down all 4 locks.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Only if you push all the locks down manually. Just encountered that yesterday. It was 100 degrees and I wanted to leave the truck running while I ran into the C store. Everything has to be so damned complicated now. I used to hit the elec lock button, push down one lock and walk away. Now I have to push down all 4 locks.

Not following. If you hit the lock button and close the doors with a fob inside the truck will unlock and honk the horn.

I’ve never tried to lock the 4 door manually, there isn’t a need for it.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
If I leave the truck running with a fob in it, the elec door lock button does nothing. I have to push each door lock down by hand. Past vehicles have locked all the doors then the driver's door lock pops back up. Pretty easy to just push that one back down then shut the door.

jebruns

Reaction score
In that more rare instance it’s also easy to have the drivers window down and hold the key in the cab, then hit the auto up and walk away.
Sounds like more of a "monkey dance" then to hold the fob against the back window.

Users who are viewing this thread