Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 110 33.5%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 64.9%

• Total voters

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Last week, we left a campsite and went to the dump station. Because it was so hot and muggy, I left the truck running for my wife while I dumped tanks. The keys were in my pocket and when I left the truck and closed the door, no chirp. I was bracing for it but it didn’t happen. I was so confused, I opened the door and asked my wife if I left my keys in the truck - even though I could feel them in my pocket. I closed the door again and no chirp!

It didn’t last. After a stop and restart, the dreaded chirping happened as I’ve become used to.

@RamCares - those are good use case scenarios. All I would ask is a setting I can turn on or off for the “feature”. The same with the ^##}]%*# cross traffic alarm when backing up.

I'm learning to leave the fob in a cupholder whenever I'm dealing with the trailer, but every time I do that I forget to grab it on my way out and it honks at me because I tried to lock the fob in the truck. That pretty much defeats all of the stated purposes of this ridiculous feature.

snayte

Reaction score
I got in the truck yesterday and started it. Then it locked the doors and did the three honks. Nothing on the dash display. I have no idea why it did that. they guy parked next to me looked at me like what the hell dude?

waveslayer

Reaction score
I got in the truck yesterday and started it. Then it locked the doors and did the three honks. Nothing on the dash display. I have no idea why it did that. they guy parked next to me looked at me like what the hell dude?
yep it's annoying! hate to say it, I leave my key in the truck now.... bad I know but got over the beeping...

Alligator John

Reaction score
If the corvette wireless fuse switch I got from another forum member works for me, my long term plan is to build a different switch off that idea that uses a delay on relay and a momentary off switch or switch I would just turn off an on when I want to disable it. That way the horn fuse turns back on later after a preset duration and I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn it on. There are inexpensive relays that can be set with that function on ebay and amazon. I have a lot of projects ahead of that and may just learn to live with the wireless switch, but if I build it, I will certainly share it with the forum. For someone that likes to tinker with electronics, there is a money making opportunity for them if they were to offer to build plug and play wire harnesses with that function to sell. It is no more complicated than say the nanny kill switch wiring harness and start button kill switch harnesses that can be found offered by individuals on other forums.

Midwesterner

Reaction score
If the corvette wireless fuse switch I got from another forum member works for me, my long term plan is to build a different switch off that idea that uses a delay on relay and a momentary off switch or switch I would just turn off an on when I want to disable it. That way the horn fuse turns back on later after a preset duration and I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn it on. There are inexpensive relays that can be set with that function on ebay and amazon. I have a lot of projects ahead of that and may just learn to live with the wireless switch, but if I build it, I will certainly share it with the forum. For someone that likes to tinker with electronics, there is a money making opportunity for them if they were to offer to build plug and play wire harnesses with that function to sell. It is no more complicated than say the nanny kill switch wiring harness and start button kill switch harnesses that can be found offered by individuals on other forums.
That sounds like it would be a great solution.

mountainears

Reaction score
It should work, I’m just not a fan of having to push a button to disable it. I forget what I’m doing when I take two steps so I know I won’t remember to hit the button until the horn honks at me :). One of the reasons why inwent for the other solution which just does it automatically.

flashman252

Reaction score
Tells on me WAY too much when I get home later than I should be from the bar or other girlfriends house when I get out to open the gate.

In all seriousness, not a fan of the 3 honk chirp. I get why its there, and you cant win them all. I have a buddy who puts his keys in the middle console, so it doesnt chirp when getting in and out but I keep my keys in my pockets, so it does it all the time.

Lettikka

Reaction score
I had everything lined up to implement the fix as written up by Mountaineer. Very disappointed to find out I did not have the VSIM box behind the steering wheel kick panel. I thought it was integrated into the AUX buttons and if you had one you had the other. I moved on to the next project, Will probably investigate having this box installed and see what that would cost. I would pay a fairly significant fee to have the three honk gone. I have a 2019 and two 2022 dodge vehicles. They are all sooo smart and well thought out. I continue to be impressed by the forward thinking of the digitals in the 2019 even after 4 years of ownership. It really surprises me this got by the QA/QC brains at RAM.

superjoe83

Reaction score
I had everything lined up to implement the fix as written up by Mountaineer. Very disappointed to find out I did not have the VSIM box behind the steering wheel kick panel. I thought it was integrated into the AUX buttons and if you had one you had the other. I moved on to the next project, Will probably investigate having this box installed and see what that would cost. I would pay a fairly significant fee to have the three honk gone. I have a 2019 and two 2022 dodge vehicles. They are all sooo smart and well thought out. I continue to be impressed by the forward thinking of the digitals in the 2019 even after 4 years of ownership. It really surprises me this got by the QA/QC brains at RAM.
Being a '22 your truck is likely wired for the VSIM, and would be plug and play once you enable it with alfa. I added it to mine

Lettikka

Reaction score
Being a '22 your truck is likely wired for the VSIM, and would be plug and play once you enable it with alfa. I added it to mine
I have Alfa, haven't used it yet. So you think it is possible that I just buy the box itself and plug it up, enable it and I would be done? It looks like the box is $294 at a mopar site.

Midwesterner

Reaction score
I have Alfa, haven't used it yet. So you think it is possible that I just buy the box itself and plug it up, enable it and I would be done? It looks like the box is $294 at a mopar site.
Looks a little more complicated, you'll have to build a harness as well, or get one from Jimmy07

Lettikka

Reaction score
Whew, I'd say!! That is going to push me towards another solution. May look at some of the horn interrupt switch ideas. Dangit!!
Thanks for the intel.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Looks a little more complicated, you'll have to build a harness as well, or get one from Jimmy07

Whew, I'd say!! That is going to push me towards another solution. May look at some of the horn interrupt switch ideas. Dangit!!
Thanks for the intel.
That write up doesn’t apply to the 2022+ since they are all already wired up. You just need the VSIM box itself, and the bag of accessory wires, and AlfaOBD.

Alligator John

Reaction score
Thanks for the intel.
My power wagon was not ordered with the upfitter module, so that ruled out the VISM method. Too much involved and too much cost for the parts to add it after the fact. I mainly need to be able to switch it off while I am hunting at the ranch, or at the farm opening gates. A simple fuse switch should be fine for my purpose.

jroy1082

Reaction score
@RamCares

You asked us (your customers) for our opinion on the matter to which we answered unanimously. You gave us your documented reasons for adding this feature which we replied to with reasons derived from real world experience supporting removing or optionally disabling it. Your customers are modifying their vehicles’ wiring to disable the feature. We are leaving our trucks running either with the keys in them or with the door left open to prevent the three-horn chirp. Spare us this aggravation, it is time to implement one of the options we chose, either get rid of it or add an option to disable it.

Users who are viewing this thread