Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 110 33.5%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 64.9%

• Total voters

Lowbagg

Reaction score
I’m still liking my version :). Horn button always works, just in case. It is a little more work though but it is nice that the VSIM can be added if you don’t have it and there are a variety of solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah.. I do lose the horn for 8 seconds when I leave the vehicle. How did you set your up?

mountainears

Reaction score

Diputs

Reaction score
Many people, including myself, consider keyless ignition to be a hard requirement. I’ll never buy another (new) vehicle without it. It’s way too much of a convenience. And yes, I like my convenience features. If I didn’t I’d buy a truck from 1985.

If you're going to have keyless ignition then make keyless entry standard. So you never have to get the keys out of your pocket. It's annoying to have to dig your keys out while carrying something to unlock the truck then not need them to start it.

CJ_Diesel

Reaction score
Has anybody snooped around the BCM with a scan tool to see if this can be disabled? My 23 is still sitting in Mexico but this is on the list of things that will be dealt with as soon as I get it home.

mountainears

Reaction score
Cannot be or people wold have already been doing that with AlphaODB

jroy1082

Reaction score
@RamCares Any update? I despise this feature. It may be useful in a passenger car but in a HD truck it is terrible. I am in and out of my truck with it running constantly, hooking and unhooking trailers, loading and unloading, etc.

jroy1082

Reaction score
@RamCares doesn't care at all. You may have noticed their failure to respond to.....well, most things. I can't imagine why they are still allowed to post on the forum.
I'll give @RamCares the benefit of the doubt since they decided to make this tread. However it's a poor choice on their part not to respond in any way or communicate any update at all.

rebartx

Reaction score
They reply when they want to. Which is when it makes it SEEM like they care. Tough issues....LOL.....fuggeddaboudit.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So I guess the answer is @RamCares doesn't actually give a ****?

@RamCares doesn't care at all. You may have noticed their failure to respond to.....well, most things. I can't imagine why they are still allowed to post on the forum.

They reply when they want to. Which is when it makes it SEEM like they care. Tough issues....LOL.....fuggeddaboudit.

At least @RamCares participates in the forum at large and does actually provide assistance and value to members here and doesn't hang out just to threadcrap one topic or another member.

3 posts of nothing but bashing @RamCares. Your opinion of the team has been duly noted, now it's time to cease.

mountainears

Reaction score
And start working on some of the work around that have been posted to fix yourself.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We appreciate the feedback we have been receiving. Please know, we report the poll feedback consistently, and if a service or update becomes available, we will certainly share that.

Lex
Ram Cares

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to let you know that our team is continually receiving and reviewing your feedback. We greatly appreciate any time you’ve taken to share your opinions with us. We would also like to share some key benefits of the Three Horn Chirp regarding the Key Left Vehicle feature:
  1. Protection from being stranded-If the key leaves the vehicle, i.e. the “airport scenario.” If the driver were to drop someone off at the airport, and that person unknowingly took the key with them (purse, pocket, etc…), the driver would be allowed to drive away. Only upon reaching the destination, and keying off, would they realize they could not turn the vehicle back on. Hopefully they are somewhere (home) and can access a spare key, otherwise they would be stranded.
  2. Protection from vehicle theft-If you were to leave your vehicle running and run into your home/store/school/work/etc…, anyone could enter your vehicle and drive away. That said, once you key off you still be stranded (see point #1), but you would still be without a vehicle.
  3. Protection of vehicle occupants-See point #2, if you leave the vehicle running, an occupant (child) could also accidentally place the vehicle into drive/reverse and cause potential harm or damage.
  4. Avoids unintended fuel consumption-As simple as it sounds, and although minor consequences compared to the rest, most people don’t like to waste gas and money. Our ICE/Gasoline vehicles are allowed to idle until they run out of gas. If left running overnight, the customer could potentially find an empty gas tank in the morning.
  5. Protection from carbon monoxide-If the vehicle is left on in the garage or the “airport drop off scenario” where driver drops off passenger and passenger has only key fob. Passenger takes key fob on plane, driver continues on. By the time the driver parks and attempts to restart the vehicle, they are stranded.
We appreciate any further feedback that you may have and if you have any questions, please feel free to send our team a private message.

Ram Cares

Lettikka

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think anyone would disagree with any of those points. I don't think the big gripe with the bug/feature is that it is notifying the driver that the engine is running. I gather that the most concern is that the notification is not limited to the driver of the vehicle who is standing beside the vehicle when the door is closed. It notifies anyone within 300' or so of what you are doing. It is not THAT there is notification, it is the format of said notification.

Lettikka

Reaction score
I have everything I need to get on mountainears method for getting rid of the chirp except for the Yazaki terminal. I'm a little nervous, but as soon as it is here I am killing it or going to break something trying.

Users who are viewing this thread