Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jump Seat to Console Swap Process

Rogue 2500

Reaction score
That is the air bag module so be gentle with it
I suspect you are talking about the module under the jump seat or console on the cab floor. that is a good point and I have been very careful around it. While in between the swap, I covered it with a plastic container to protect it from anything happening to it.

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
Yes i was talking about that module. I tried to quote using the pic but it didn't work.

zylander

Reaction score
Anyone know if the center console from a 1500 will swap into a 2500? I just picked up a 2500 with jump seat and want to swap to a center console but only finding 1500 consoles for sale.

Rogue 2500

Reaction score
Anyone know if the center console from a 1500 will swap into a 2500? I just picked up a 2500 with jump seat and want to swap to a center console but only finding 1500 consoles for sale.
I *think* it will fit, but I can't honestly for sure it will. The ones on ebay seem to think they fit. You might want to check with the dealer to see if it is cross referenced. I was lucky enough to find someone with the same 2500 Laramie.

zylander

Reaction score
I *think* it will fit, but I can't honestly for sure it will. The ones on ebay seem to think they fit. You might want to check with the dealer to see if it is cross referenced. I was lucky enough to find someone with the same 2500 Laramie.
After some digging looks like the 1500 consoles may not be exactly the same as the 2500. Some parts share the same part numbers (arm rest, cup holder, rear vents) but the main console base is a different part number. Seems really odd because they look identical. Im still tempted to just buy a used 1500 console and try it out but most likely will just buy everything new from the dealer.

For the wiring, you have to purchase a new harness for the center console and also use USB extension cables, correct? Did you ever find out why your rear USB ports were not working?

Rogue 2500

Reaction score
After some digging looks like the 1500 consoles may not be exactly the same as the 2500. Some parts share the same part numbers (arm rest, cup holder, rear vents) but the main console base is a different part number. Seems really odd because they look identical. Im still tempted to just buy a used 1500 console and try it out but most likely will just buy everything new from the dealer.

For the wiring, you have to purchase a new harness for the center console and also use USB extension cables, correct? Did you ever find out why your rear USB ports were not working?
For me, I had to buy the wiring harness because the guy I swapped with used the one from the console for the jump seat. If you get a wiring harness with the console you may be able to use that. Yes, I purchased and used the usb extension cables for the front two usb ports.

I have not dug into the rear two usb ports working yet. I am convinced it is an issue with the wiring harness missing the power to the usb ports. They are powered usb ports like the front. I believe if I run a pig tail from the unused power wiring that was for the front tray, to the H-connector harness, it will work. Does that make sense?

zylander

Reaction score
For me, I had to buy the wiring harness because the guy I swapped with used the one from the console for the jump seat. If you get a wiring harness with the console you may be able to use that. Yes, I purchased and used the usb extension cables for the front two usb ports.

I have not dug into the rear two usb ports working yet. I am convinced it is an issue with the wiring harness missing the power to the usb ports. They are powered usb ports like the front. I believe if I run a pig tail from the unused power wiring that was for the front tray, to the H-connector harness, it will work. Does that make sense?
Got it. Is there any reason you couldnt use the harness from the jump seat in the new center console setup?
Assuming I have to buy a new console from the dealer and I wont be giving my jump seat to anyone would it work if I took the harness out of the jump seat and put it in the console? Seems like all the ports are roughly in the same areas. I havent started taking things apart so Im just guessing here.

Rogue 2500

Reaction score
Got it. Is there any reason you couldnt use the harness from the jump seat in the new center console setup?
Assuming I have to buy a new console from the dealer and I wont be giving my jump seat to anyone would it work if I took the harness out of the jump seat and put it in the console? Seems like all the ports are roughly in the same areas. I havent started taking things apart so Im just guessing here.
There a few problems when trying to use the jump seat harness on the console.
1. The wiring had to be cut to remove the wiring from the USB port inside the jump seat storage bin.
2. The original front dash wires were not long enough to attach to the console USB ports.
3. The original front dash wires (USB power) were also not long enough.

On the console the storage bin USB had a connector that had a matching connector with the console wiring. You would have to tear the jump seat apart to get at it. Why they did not do this with the jump seat is a mystery. Point 1 for using the console wiring harness.

The console wiring harness fit to the front USB ports, but did not work. The USB power did work. So, I used the USB extension cable from the original dash wiring to the USB ports in the console. Point 2 for the console wiring harness is the working USB power.

If I wanted to extend the wires and place a connector rear storage bin USB, that would would have worked. The console wiring harness seamed to be the best route.

Given that the jump seat only had the rear USB power fed from the harness and the front was separately fed from the front, I believe the body H connector only had one USB power configured. That mated up with the front console USB power and not the rear. I believe I will have to either make a separate wiring harness to reach the front USB power to rear USB power ports or a connector from the front USB power to the console wiring H connector and tap into that.

You most likely could get the original wiring to work if you add an extension cable (i.e. make) for the front USB power, use the USB extension cables, and rework the rear USB in the storage bin with a connector that matched the connector on the console. Just a guess.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

zylander

Reaction score
There a few problems when trying to use the jump seat harness on the console.
1. The wiring had to be cut to remove the wiring from the USB port inside the jump seat storage bin.
2. The original front dash wires were not long enough to attach to the console USB ports.
3. The original front dash wires (USB power) were also not long enough.

On the console the storage bin USB had a connector that had a matching connector with the console wiring. You would have to tear the jump seat apart to get at it. Why they did not do this with the jump seat is a mystery. Point 1 for using the console wiring harness.

The console wiring harness fit to the front USB ports, but did not work. The USB power did work. So, I used the USB extension cable from the original dash wiring to the USB ports in the console. Point 2 for the console wiring harness is the working USB power.

If I wanted to extend the wires and place a connector rear storage bin USB, that would would have worked. The console wiring harness seamed to be the best route.

Given that the jump seat only had the rear USB power fed from the harness and the front was separately fed from the front, I believe the body H connector only had one USB power configured. That mated up with the front console USB power and not the rear. I believe I will have to either make a separate wiring harness to reach the front USB power to rear USB power ports or a connector from the front USB power to the console wiring H connector and tap into that.

You most likely could get the original wiring to work if you add an extension cable (i.e. make) for the front USB power, use the USB extension cables, and rework the rear USB in the storage bin with a connector that matched the connector on the console. Just a guess.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for all the info!
Im going to be ordering everything from the dealer and piecing it together this week. We'll see how the wiring goes. I manage an auto body shop so install should be a breeze I also have a vendor that builds wiring harnesses so may have them help me out.

The diagram and parts list my dealer sent me lists two lamps inside the console. Does yours have any lights inside? Wondering if this is maybe an extra option on the Limited models.

Rogue 2500

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info!
Im going to be ordering everything from the dealer and piecing it together this week. We'll see how the wiring goes. I manage an auto body shop so install should be a breeze I also have a vendor that builds wiring harnesses so may have them help me out.

The diagram and parts list my dealer sent me lists two lamps inside the console. Does yours have any lights inside? Wondering if this is maybe an extra option on the Limited models.
Cool, please let me know how the wiring works out for you. I might be interested, as I don't have the contacts. :)

I have not seen any console lights on the Laramie. There was ambient lights with the jump seat, but not with the console.

I have been waiting for the service manuals to become available.

zylander

Reaction score
Got the center seat out of my truck yesterday and my wiring is different than yours. In the dash behind the storage drawer on the left side I only have 1 USB plug. The USB cluster to the left of the storage drawer had two female USB plugs on the back but only one was plugged in and only one male USB connector on the dash side. Also under the seat I did not have a USB connection just the large black connector.

I spoke to my mechanic and he said he can extend the wiring on the dash to meet the ports at the front of the new center console. Will attempt to remove the harness from the center seat or worst case just buy a new one from the dealer to power the rear ports.

All my parts should be arriving Friday and will start assembly. Will post an update then.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I’m working on a plug n play short adapter harness solution right now with member Wmattert, and I’ll have enough of the connector parts left over to make about 5 of these adapters. This will get power to the rear heated/vented seat switches, the missing Lin bus wire (if it’s missing from the XY360 connector) that’s necessary for the rear heated seat switches and wireless charge pad, and all missing circuits so the front and rear USB media hubs will function 100%.

JcLeiva

Reaction score
Does anyone have the opposite?! Console to jumper seat???? I wanted a jumper seat and settled with the console.

zylander

Reaction score
Does anyone have the opposite?! Console to jumper seat???? I wanted a jumper seat and settled with the console.
I have a jump seat setup for sale. I just finished swapping to a console.

zylander

Reaction score
I forgot to give an update here for my swap. I got my console in a few days ago and everything is working 100%.

For the wiring in the front coming out of the dash I had my mechanic splice in some wires extending the connectors out to meet the console. The square plug on the left that plugs into the USB/Aux port and the square plug on the right that plugs into the power socket were extended. The USB mini plug I bought a 2' extension cable off amazon. MAKE SURE the USB extension cable you buy is a 5 wire cable. A lot of USB extension cables only have 2 wires inside and will only transfer power (like for charging a phone) but wont transfer data so your apple car play/android auto wont work.

For the wiring to the rear ports and USB port under the armrest I bought a jump seat harness (part# 68484690AA). This plugged into the connector under the drivers seat and powered up all the rear ports no problem.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Have jump seat. Would like console. Where are you located?

Users who are viewing this thread