Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How hard is it to steal my tailgate?

Frank

Reaction score
Holy crap...3 neighbors in a week, can't say I know anyone that has had their converter cut out!
I was at lunch with my wife last month and someone at the next table had theirs cut out in the 20 minutes it took to order and eat. Broad daylight in a very visible area.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Maybe they are selling the tailgates back to people that had them stolen - just in a different area. I have heard a lot about cats being stolen. There are all kinds of security devices for cats now - from shields to make it harder to alarms for someone under your vehicle.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Maybe they are selling the tailgates back to people that had them stolen - just in a different area. I have heard a lot about cats being stolen. There are all kinds of security devices for cats now - from shields to make it harder to alarms for someone under your vehicle.

I was thinking about hanging a used range target (with a really nice grouping) down underneath as a deterrent.

strantor

Reaction score
I put a title on this thread that wasn't very relevant. I'm not so worried about the tailgate itself getting solen, I'm worried about the contents of the bed getting stolen, and the only way that happens is if someone can open my tailgate (presumably whatever tweaker was out to steal the tailgate itself and discovered more valuable loot).

strantor

Reaction score
How many people have destroyed their tailgate on a 2019+ truck...seems like it would be a small market. I can see older models as around here they tend to rust.
It's not that they're getting destroyed as much as they're getting stolen. Your tailgate gets stolen and costs a few thousand bucks in some cases to replace it. Then you see a tweaker selling one on Facebook for $300 which is less than your deductible (Assuming your insurance even covers it). What are you gonna do? Lots of people go buy from the tweaker and may even be buying their very own tailgate back (probably not but it could happen). These people who are buying the stolen tailgates are driving up the demand for more stolen tailgates. It's a positive feedback loop and it's turned into a pretty big problem in this area.

strantor

Reaction score
Ok I think I figured out what I'm going to do. I'll open up the tailgate, find the wires that go to the lock solenoid, cut one and splice in a diode and reed switch in parallel. After that you'll be able lock the solenoid all you want from under the truck, but if you want to unlock it, you're going to need to have a magnet stuck to a very specific spot on the tailgate so that it activates the Reed switch. I can keep a magnet on my Keychain and just place it on the g-spot every time I want to open it.

Added benefit the tailgate will stay locked every time I lock/unlock the truck unless I'm back there and trying to open it. So if I forget to lock it and go in the store, come back all my change and ketchup packets might be gone out of the cup holders but my tools should still be safe.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Ok I think I figured out what I'm going to do. I'll open up the tailgate, find the wires that go to the lock solenoid, cut one and splice in a diode and reed switch in parallel. After that you'll be able lock the solenoid all you want from under the truck, but if you want to unlock it, you're going to need to have a magnet stuck to a very specific spot on the tailgate so that it activates the Reed switch. I can keep a magnet on my Keychain and just place it on the g-spot every time I want to open it.

Added benefit the tailgate will stay locked every time I lock/unlock the truck unless I'm back there and trying to open it. So if it forget to lock it and go in the store, come back all my change and ketchup packets might be gone out of the cup holders but my tools should still be safe.
Just some info on how the tailgate “lock” works so you can figure accordingly:
There is no actual lock solenoid, so there’s no lock and unlock driver circuits like there are for the door handles. It’s a switch on the tailgate handle, and two electronic latches. You press the switch on on the handle, and it sends a pulse to the BCM, who in turn, sends the release signal to the latches. If the BCM recognizes that the doors are locked, it ignores the signal from the switch. If the BCM recognizes that the doors are unlocked, then it will recognize the signal from the tailgate switch and allow the signal to the latches.

strantor

Reaction score
Just some info on how the tailgate “lock” works so you can figure accordingly:
There is no actual lock solenoid, so there’s no lock and unlock driver circuits like there are for the door handles. It’s a switch on the tailgate handle, and two electronic latches. You press the switch on on the handle, and it sends a pulse to the BCM, who in turn, sends the release signal to the latches. If the BCM recognizes that the doors are locked, it ignores the signal from the switch. If the BCM recognizes that the doors are unlocked, then it will recognize the signal from the tailgate switch and allow the signal to the latches.
Good to know, thanks! This makes it even simpler, no diode needed. Just a reed switch in series with the latches. If no magnet is present, the latches never get the signal.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Most people who aren't in the business of stealing tailgates. :p
It would be a pretty big surprise to them too as its not common even the bits can be hard to find lol

strantor

Reaction score
Send pics when you’re done so we all know how to steal your tailgate... I mean protect our tailgates.
I've already said too much...

But since the beans are already spilled I guess no harm in showing the Reed switch tailgate mod once it's done. I bought some Reed switches off Amazon last night but they're only rated 500mA. I had forgotten they won't carry much current, and I assume the latch is going draw several amps for a brief time, so the Reed switch will control a relay which makes/breaks connection to the latches. So I should have a nice "click" audible feedback from the tailgate telling me I've got the magnet in the right spot and it's ready to be opened.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I've already said too much...

But since the beans are already spilled I guess no harm in showing the Reed switch tailgate mod once it's done. I bought some Reed switches off Amazon last night but they're only rated 500mA. I had forgotten they won't carry much current, and I assume the latch is going draw several amps for a brief time, so the Reed switch will control a relay which makes/breaks connection to the latches. So I should have a nice "click" audible feedback from the tailgate telling me I've got the magnet in the right spot and it's ready to be opened.
I foresee a lot of little scratches on your tailgate where the magnet goes. You don’t think the electronic mechanism is enough annoyance / deterrent? There are easier targets in the parking lot

Users who are viewing this thread