Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How hard is it to steal my tailgate?

CDNgoat

Reaction score
Seriously? I can't be the only one...
What kind of vehicles have you guys been driving that this never was an issue? I suspect probably newer vehicles than me for one thing. I'm not a "new vehicle every 2 years" type of guy. I had previously sworn never to buy new. This is the first brand new vehicle (and first Dodge/Ram/FCAUSLLC) I've ever bought and I only did it because this chip shortage business drove the cost of used trucks to brand new prices.

Here's my list, what I can remember, which is just the past few years:

1993 Chevy Silverado: windshield wiper stalk wires rubbed against the inside of the steering column and shorted out. Blew fuses and wipers didn't work.

1991 Toyota Celica: alarm system wires shorted out against the frame and the alarm would just randomly go off in the middle of the night or day.

2010 GMC Yukon: passenger's power seat motor wire got caught against something, pulled, shorted out, and blew up the contacts in the switch so the seat would recline but wouldn't go back upright. Every time someone reclined it I would have to hotwire the seat to get it back in position.

2002 Nissan Frontier: tail lights shorted against the frame and the brake lights would work sometimes, other times not, and other times the fuse would blow when brakes were pressed

2013 Mazda 5: ambient temp sensor in the grille got pinched after a mechanic did some work on it and after that the A/C would only run on max setting, any other setting and it would blow hot dank air out.

Maybe this one is a stretch and shouldn't count, but...
2010 Ford focus: flooded in Harvey, afterwards would just randomly run out of gas. The fuel pump was stopping. Replaced the pump controller but still had issues. Turns out the wires had rubbed the insulation off prior to the flood and the flood corroded the wires almost in two.
You are correct sir it is an issue. I bought a new 2016 gmc hd gas, looked at it a bit closer after bringing it home and rats had turned the air breather into a nest and there were bare wires everywhere, apparently some brainiac of an engineer decided to make wiring insulation out of soy turning all new cars into a buffet for the rodents. needless to say the dealer took it back on a even trade for another one, Lucky. so I here what your saying

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You are correct sir it is an issue. I bought a new 2016 gmc hd gas, looked at it a bit closer after bringing it home and rats had turned the air breather into a nest and there were bare wires everywhere, apparently some brainiac of an engineer decided to make wiring insulation out of soy turning all new cars into a buffet for the rodents. needless to say the dealer took it back on a even trade for another one, Lucky. so I here what your saying
Rats chewing up wiring is not the same as a wire chafing and rubbing itself bare... it just doesn’t happen.

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score

strantor

Reaction score
Sorry I vanished in the middle of the saga, life happened, this project went on hiatus several times, but I just finished it.

20210723_080158.jpg
The 200lb lift struts I originally used proved insufficient once the aluminum was installed and I had to modify the strut geometry and upgrade to 300lb lift struts. That got it working exactly how I wanted.

I went with the suggestion to spray the aluminum with bed liner. I used the Raptor tintable bed liner kit off Amazon. I did not realize, this stuff is marketed toward the "I want to spray my entire jeep in bed liner" crowd and it's probably great for that purpose, but if you're expecting a 1/8 thick coating like a BED LINER is supposed to be, you'll be disappointed with this product as basically a rugged paint, and sprays about as thick as a two-part epoxy paint would. I bought the 1 gal kit sold as a solution for lining a typical bed and used the whole thing just on this sheet of aluminum and it's about 0.05" thick. I inquired with raptor about spraying another 2 whole kits on top it and they said not to, or it would Crack. Also be advised this stuff will NOT hide seams or dents.

I got the color-code-matched paint tint from a local automotive paint shop and I mixed it too rich so the bad liner is a little too dark, but close enough for me not lay awake at night thinking about it. The metallic flake in the tint does not show in the bed liner, but I think it might help in reflecting sunlight as the inside of the bed stays cooler than inside the cab when parked in direct sunlight, which I did not expect. I thought it would be sweltering in there.

Here are some pics of the final product:

20210801_124929.jpg
20210801_122526.jpg
20210801_122309.jpg

20210801_122457.jpg

20210801_123234.jpg
20210801_123204.jpg

Power247

Reaction score
Sorry I vanished in the middle of the saga, life happened, this project went on hiatus several times, but I just finished it.

View attachment 20101
The 200lb lift struts I originally used proved insufficient once the aluminum was installed and I had to modify the strut geometry and upgrade to 300lb lift struts. That got it working exactly how I wanted.

I went with the suggestion to spray the aluminum with bed liner. I used the Raptor tintable bed liner kit off Amazon. I did not realize, this stuff is marketed toward the "I want to spray my entire jeep in bed liner" crowd and it's probably great for that purpose, but if you're expecting a 1/8 thick coating like a BED LINER is supposed to be, you'll be disappointed with this product as basically a rugged paint, and sprays about as thick as a two-part epoxy paint would. I bought the 1 gal kit sold as a solution for lining a typical bed and used the whole thing just on this sheet of aluminum and it's about 0.05" thick. I inquired with raptor about spraying another 2 whole kits on top it and they said not to, or it would Crack. Also be advised this stuff will NOT hide seams or dents.

I got the color-code-matched paint tint from a local automotive paint shop and I mixed it too rich so the bad liner is a little too dark, but close enough for me not lay awake at night thinking about it. The metallic flake in the tint does not show in the bed liner, but I think it might help in reflecting sunlight as the inside of the bed stays cooler than inside the cab when parked in direct sunlight, which I did not expect. I thought it would be sweltering in there.

Here are some pics of the final product:

View attachment 20102
View attachment 20103
View attachment 20104

View attachment 20105

View attachment 20106
View attachment 20107
That came out great. I wish I had the skills to take on something like that.

Greg
2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
How many people have destroyed their tailgate on a 2019+ truck...seems like it would be a small market. I can see older models as around here they tend to rust.
I've seen so many tailgates with the mark of shame. You know the one where they forgot to latch the ball on the trailer and it pops up and puts that awesome half moon dent and 10" long scratch in the tailgate.

Users who are viewing this thread