Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hood Vibrating at highway speeds

DCJ

Reaction score
Informative but damn does he talk...
LOL But I really like the longhorn he had... I'm still going through the great debate 6.4 Hemi or 6.7 Cummins before I build/buy.

rfullen280

Reaction score
2021 Ram 2500. Hood shakes violently at front corners @ highway speed. Even worse with oncoming passing traffic.

CDNgoat

Reaction score
Did anybody come up with a fix for this besides adjusting the hood latch and bump stops, I,m going to assume RAM didn,t since 2019 because my 21 does this also, would an air deflector cure this or make it worse? if anyone is still watching this thread

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I figure it must be an adjustment since some don't do it.
Im sure they all do it, aluminum flexes far to much even when you open the hood you can feel the flex in the hood… my hood deflector does nothing for the flex

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That’s a special talent to consume almost 11 minutes to cover 3 minutes of material!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats what happens when people get paid to make youtube videos…. If they were not paid it would be short and sweet

Ruffone

Reaction score
There’s also a TSB for the fix, the dealer followed it and fixed 90% of the flex on mine. Like was mentioned above, it’s a thin aluminum hood so you’re going to get some flex from it due to pressure differences. The TSB calls for the dealer to use automotive body adhesive and glue the steel “X” brace under the hood in 13 locations if I remember correctly, bonding the brace to the underside skin of the hood. From the factory the hood “X” brace is attached in only four locations at the end of each arm of the brace. This is the same TSB fix used on the 1500 hoods. The TSB also calls for replacing all the pins holding the under hood insulation on with new pins. They did the fix on my 2019 Ram 2500.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well mine doesn't shake going down the road.
Nither does mine but evwn with adjustment you will only stop it so much, at high speeds with wind mine will dance a bit though

GPurcell01

Reaction score
My dad's '09 and '12 1500s did it. Now his '21 2500 does it too.

My '12 1500 did it. My '21 3500 does it too.

5 trucks between us and all of them did it. Just ignore it. If either of us were to have the hood fly open because of this, would've happened by now I think.

Ruffone

Reaction score
Ford trucks are having the same issue. That’s what happens when you go to thin light weight materials like aluminum. I’ve also read that some car brands have the hood flutter issue as well.

Ruffone

Reaction score
@WildCanuck yes like I mentioned above, there’s a TSB out for it and you adjust the hood stops like is mentioned above and in several other hood posts throughout this site. The only other solution is to get another vehicle without an aluminum hood.

BikePilot

Reaction score
Fwiw I don't think it's due to it being aluminum but rather that it's too thin or poorly designed. There are plenty of aluminum things that go much faster than a ram truck that don't flutter at all. I have a LR4 with an aluminum hood that's rock solid.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
There’s also a TSB for the fix, the dealer followed it and fixed 90% of the flex on mine. Like was mentioned above, it’s a thin aluminum hood so you’re going to get some flex from it due to pressure differences. The TSB calls for the dealer to use automotive body adhesive and glue the steel “X” brace under the hood in 13 locations if I remember correctly, bonding the brace to the underside skin of the hood. From the factory the hood “X” brace is attached in only four locations at the end of each arm of the brace. This is the same TSB fix used on the 1500 hoods. The TSB also calls for replacing all the pins holding the under hood insulation on with new pins. They did the fix on my 2019 Ram 2500.

Do happen to have the TSB # handy so it can be put in the TSB section?
At work myself and searching on the phone is a pain...

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Fwiw I don't think it's due to it being aluminum but rather that it's too thin or poorly designed. There are plenty of aluminum things that go much faster than a ram truck that don't flutter at all. I have a LR4 with an aluminum hood that's rock solid.
Ya they change the material the component is made out of without re-engineering it! FAIL…..this ain’t rocket surgery :rolleyes:.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It is due to it being aluminum if it was steel this design would be fine so the aluminum and the design for it being aluminum is the culprit

Users who are viewing this thread