Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hood Vibrating at highway speeds

DeVoTee

Reaction score
I'll try this as well, but I believe the flutter is coming the rear where the hinges are mounted to a very thin aluminum hood mount. I believe this area (rear hinge mount) needs additional bracing to eliminate hood flutter.

I adjusted my hood bump stops and it helped a lot

I haven’t noticed it at all since I turned those up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I'll try this as well, but I believe the flutter is coming the rear where the hinges are mounted to a very thin aluminum hood mount. I believe this area (rear hinge mount) needs additional bracing to eliminate hood flutter.

Might be. But if there is pressure added to the front of the hood some will transition to the back where you’re talking about.

Let us know if it works out. So far since I did this I haven’t had any issues.

KB RAM

Reaction score
Took mine to a 2nd dealer. They adjusted the stops and said it was fixed. After driving it on the highway I can confirm nothing has changed, hood still vibrates like before. I’m taking it back again on Monday and will refuse to take it back if it still vibrates.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Took mine to a 2nd dealer. They adjusted the stops and said it was fixed. After driving it on the highway I can confirm nothing has changed, hood still vibrates like before. I’m taking it back again on Monday and will refuse to take it back if it still vibrates.

Hi KB RAM,
We would like to document the hood flutter concern you are experiencing. If you could please private message us with you VIN to get started.
Laura
Ram Cares

Ruffone

Reaction score
I bought my 2019 Ram 2500 Ram Laramie Off-road Black Edition on Sept 21, I noticed mine doing the same thing. When you passed a semi or other large vehicle it got worse. On the Gen 5 1500 forum they talk about this issue and there is a TSB out for this issue on theirs but not ours yet. The TSB states that the issue is that the hoods cross brace is not attached to the hood except for at the four corners. The cross brace is stamped steel and the hood is aluminum, obviously two metals you can’t weld together. The TSB states the fix is to install body bonding adhesive, in I think it was 13 locations, between the cross bracing and the hood. It says not to close the hood or drive the vehicle for 24 hours while the adhesive cures. I checked several older trucks, including my 2006 that I traded in for my new truck, and the cross brace was attached to the hood at all four corners and at the center location. So I took the 1500 TSB with me to my dealership and told them mine was doing the same thing. I gave them a copy of the TSB and they reached out to FCA and after a couple of days FCA told them to go ahead with the fix on my truck. It’s a cheap fix, a tube of body bonding adhesive, new clips that hold the hood insulation in and a couple of man hours to do the work. Once the work was completed I took my truck out on the interstate and went 70 mph for a bit and passed several semis to test the fix. The fix worked beautifully, my hood no longer shakes or lifts looking like it is ready to fly up. Just as an FYI... I have a great reporte with my dealership and they told me they went back and fourth with FCA several times before they threw in the towel and told them to go ahead and fix it. At one point they told the dealer that they couldn’t even find their own TSB but my dealership pushed back and FCA caved.

On another note... I did some online research and found that this is / was not only a Ram issue, Ford Honda and a couple other manufacturers were having the same issue with their vehicles with large aluminum hoods.

Ruffone

Reaction score
It's a shame we have to wrestle with the manufacturer to fix their own poor designs.
I agree 100%. This is my fourth Dodge / Ram truck so I am used to the run around. The sad part is that this crazy phenomenon is not just an FCA only issue, you have to fight each manufacturer to get them to budge on anything, especially if you are dealing with the lemon law.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Can you al maybe post up some photos of the locations and fixes? Im happy to do the same.

Ruffone

Reaction score
Can you al maybe post up some photos of the locations and fixes? Im happy to do the same.

Nordic, I would but the dealership fixed mine when I was on vacation, so when I got it back it was all buttoned up. If you get the TSB notice, it has pictures showing exactly where to and how to apply the bonding agent.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Nordic, I would but the dealership fixed mine when I was on vacation, so when I got it back it was all buttoned up. If you get the TSB notice, it has pictures showing exactly where to and how to apply the bonding agent.

I appreciate it thank you

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
I bought my 2019 Ram 2500 Ram Laramie Off-road Black Edition on Sept 21, I noticed mine doing the same thing. When you passed a semi or other large vehicle it got worse. On the Gen 5 1500 forum they talk about this issue and there is a TSB out for this issue on theirs but not ours yet. The TSB states that the issue is that the hoods cross brace is not attached to the hood except for at the four corners. The cross brace is stamped steel and the hood is aluminum, obviously two metals you can’t weld together. The TSB states the fix is to install body bonding adhesive, in I think it was 13 locations, between the cross bracing and the hood. It says not to close the hood or drive the vehicle for 24 hours while the adhesive cures. I checked several older trucks, including my 2006 that I traded in for my new truck, and the cross brace was attached to the hood at all four corners and at the center location. So I took the 1500 TSB with me to my dealership and told them mine was doing the same thing. I gave them a copy of the TSB and they reached out to FCA and after a couple of days FCA told them to go ahead with the fix on my truck. It’s a cheap fix, a tube of body bonding adhesive, new clips that hold the hood insulation in and a couple of man hours to do the work. Once the work was completed I took my truck out on the interstate and went 70 mph for a bit and passed several semis to test the fix. The fix worked beautifully, my hood no longer shakes or lifts looking like it is ready to fly up. Just as an FYI... I have a great reporte with my dealership and they told me they went back and fourth with FCA several times before they threw in the towel and told them to go ahead and fix it. At one point they told the dealer that they couldn’t even find their own TSB but my dealership pushed back and FCA caved.

On another note... I did some online research and found that this is / was not only a Ram issue, Ford Honda and a couple other manufacturers were having the same issue with their vehicles with large aluminum hoods.

thanks for sharing this info with the community. i can imagine this will be quite a relief to a lot of people on here.

MrMopar

Reaction score

@RamCares...based on all the Hood Vibration complaints and same issue on 1500's...Will there be a TSB issued...?
Mine does it also...I've mentioned it to my Dealer when it was in for other reasons but nothing written down.

Last edited:

KB RAM

Reaction score

thank you for sharing this info. I will print and take to dealer.

KB RAM

Reaction score
Hi KB RAM,
We would like to document the hood flutter concern you are experiencing. If you could please private message us with you VIN to get started.
Laura
Ram Cares
You should reach out to FCA and let them know the same fix for the 1500 hood vibrations works and needs to be applied to the 2500’s. Here is description of what needs to be done and validation that it works. It would be great if dealers knew what to do so customer aren’t forced to take a vechicle back multiple times for the fix.

ahhhr

Reaction score
They've had a fix for this problem for 16 months and still shipping new trucks without the fix?
I realize its for a 1500 but come on...

Ruffone

Reaction score
They've had a fix for this problem for 16 months and still shipping new trucks without the fix?
I realize its for a 1500 but come on...
If you notice, most manufacturers wait until they are forced by a regulatory agency to do a recall and make the corrections. When there is a TSB out, the repair is typically left for the dealer to correct. And as we have all experienced at some point or another, neither dealers nor manufacturers rush out to point out TSBs and fix them. Dealers don’t like the paperwork and the hassle of dealing with the manufacturers and the manufacturers don’t like to lose money voluntarily. So in the end it’s the consumer who has to deal with the mess and force the issue in order to get an issue resolved.

dalepres

Reaction score
I'm glad to report that my new 3500 doesn't exhibit this. I was worried about this and a few other reports I see here. Luckily this one isn't one I have. In fact, only 84 miles for sure, but, so far it's absolutely perfect. I couldn't be happier with the truck or the dealer.

g33k247

Reaction score
I have experienced the same issue on my 2019 Ram 2500. I thought maybe I was hallucinating at first. Its kinda frightening to see the hood flexing at freeway speeds. Glad I found this thread.

I sent a PM to @RamCares like they suggested and look forward to an official resolution for all HD Ram owners soon.

Users who are viewing this thread