Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home brew alignment theory

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Ok so I tackled my 1” front lift today

here is the starting “caster” angle on the top of the ball joint. I put caster in parenthesis because this is not necessarily a perfect caster angle measurement but it does give me an idea of the axles spatial orientation underneath the rig. I zeroed the angle finder on the garage floor

8227C83A-81A8-48F1-B745-A8EE68386A73.jpeg

here is the changes I made to compensate for the 1” lift. The factory caster alignment was the same on both sides and it was indicated by the yellow mark. I moved the setting to the silver mark.

762069E2-555B-4ADC-B879-9E3185340137.jpeg

here is the after measurement of the angle on top of the ball joint. Sorry for the pic, the spring is in the way of getting the camera closer. Within 1/10° I’ll call that good for now.

55629DD7-F786-4941-9D33-022CA78B419A.jpeg

And here is the truck with 1” front 0” rear lift on 35”s

C559BA90-3951-46A7-9369-131EFD84F444.jpeg
BADCAB17-8D56-421D-8ACE-5C31F963D598.jpeg

Power247

Reaction score
Ok so I tackled my 1” front lift today

here is the starting “caster” angle on the top of the ball joint. I put caster in parenthesis because this is not necessarily a perfect caster angle measurement but it does give me an idea of the axles spatial orientation underneath the rig. I zeroed the angle finder on the garage floor

View attachment 14700

here is the changes I made to compensate for the 1” lift. The factory caster alignment was the same on both sides and it was indicated by the yellow mark. I moved the setting to the silver mark.

View attachment 14703

here is the after measurement of the angle on top of the ball joint. Sorry for the pic, the spring is in the way of getting the camera closer. Within 1/10° I’ll call that good for now.

View attachment 14704

And here is the truck with 1” front 0” rear lift on 35”s

View attachment 14705
View attachment 14706
Looks good! Is there any noticable axle shift with the one inch lift?

Greg
2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

whitexc

Reaction score

Greg
This is exactly what I was wondering?

Also, if it's in another thread my apologies but what did you use to get 1"? How involved?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

Greg

This is exactly what I was wondering?

Also, if it's in another thread my apologies but what did you use to get 1"? How involved?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I can’t see it with my naked eye, but by my trig calculations it should be 1/4”. I think my eye is pretty calibrated so maybe it’s even less than 1/4”

I bought the traxada 1” spacer

how involved? I removed the swaybar links and the shock bottom bolts and the brake line bracket, dropped the axle down and the coil springs fell out.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Seems like the best place to share this stuff

I made a jig for my car so I can make quick toe adjustments with repeatable results at home

I stumbled across this little “tool” and I will probably buy it to use on my solid axle rigs.

jetrinka

Reaction score
The front ends on these trucks are so freaking frustrating. I swear on my life the steering wheel position changes day to day driving the EXACT same roads in the EXACT same conditions. Sometimes I swear the steering centerline is off to the right a bit and then the next day I swear its off to the left. Verified SO MANY TIMES nothing is moving in the drag link assembly. Ugh I hate it!!! Wrong truck for OCD.....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The front ends on these trucks are so freaking frustrating. I swear on my life the steering wheel position changes day to day driving the EXACT same roads in the EXACT same conditions. Sometimes I swear the steering centerline is off to the right a bit and then the next day I swear its off to the left. Verified SO MANY TIMES nothing is moving in the drag link assembly. Ugh I hate it!!! Wrong truck for OCD.....
The beauty of solid axle and large tires lol

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
It’s a cleaver, not a scalpel.

jetrinka

Reaction score
It’s a cleaver, not a scalpel.
Dude I am starting to believe its certainly not a scalpel and likely not even a cleaver. Its more of a square edged shovel with no handle attempting brain surgery....

Whats funny is I came from an 01 Cummins which certainly wandered too but seemed consistent in the steering wheel angle department. The rear coil spring setup allows the rear to move back and forth under the truck just like the front as it goes through its travel arc just making things worse! Didn't have that problem on the old Cummins.

*Sigh* I need to relax. I'm gonna go have a stiff drink and try to stop hating this stupid "problem" so much...

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Dude I am starting to believe its certainly not a scalpel and likely not even a cleaver. Its more of a square edged shovel with no handle attempting brain surgery....

Whats funny is I came from an 01 Cummins which certainly wandered too but seemed consistent in the steering wheel angle department. The rear coil spring setup allows the rear to move back and forth under the truck just like the front as it goes through its travel arc just making things worse! Didn't have that problem on the old Cummins.

*Sigh* I need to relax. I'm gonna go have a stiff drink and try to stop hating this stupid "problem" so much...
How much caster and toe are you running?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Lemme guess. Yours does the same thing?
Not this one but some other trucks and jeeps i have had… and the rear track bar keeps things pretty well inline and you dont get much movement side to side i think 4” of travel up and down translates in to 1” sideways movement you get more movement in the tires hitting bumps than that…

jetrinka

Reaction score
How much caster and toe are you running?
Toe is zero and caster if I remember right was even just above 5 degrees each side. Its not pulling at all - just following crown but its hard to find true center with the drag link is all.

I know you said in another thread your truck drove like garbage on Thuren's specs

Honestly just ignore me lol. I am attempting to fix problems that don't actually exist

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I know you said in another thread your truck drove like garbage on Thuren's specs
That wasnt me, must’ve been somebody else. I’ve never had my truck on an alignment rack and my truck never rode bad.

My truck rides great with the alignment I did in this thread, fox 2.0s and no front sway bar.

Users who are viewing this thread