Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home brew alignment theory

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Good morning fellow Ram enthusiasts. This is a rambling on Ram HD driveway alignment theory. Please feel free to add to the discussion or tell me I’m stupid.

I’ll preface this by saying that I’ve always paid for alignments on anything I’ve owned that was IFS, and I’ve always done my own alignments on anything that was solid axle. Armed with nothing more than an angle finder and a tape measure I have done many driveway alignments. I don’t have a “real” way to measure caster. Usually, I go by pinion angle, eyeball, and how it drives.

I have done solid axle swaps, installed bolt-on long arm kits, weld-on long arm kits, lifts, levels and just about anything in between. So, I’m comfortable with solid axle rigs

let’s assume a level kit or new springs up front and let’s assume no change to the rear. Let’s also assume you had a good alignment before you made changes.

On these trucks, camber is not adjustable and toe would go unchanged. This is due to a knuckle to knuckle tie rod.

So, you would only need to change caster and get the steering wheel centered to complete an alignment.

Thuren has a very detailed write up about alignments on these trucks and they don’t want any cross caster. Meaning, they want both side caster cams to be set the same or close to it. So, let’s just keep them the same. On my truck, they’re the same left and right from the factory.

We don’t need to find the rotational axis of the knuckle on the upper and lower ball joints because that value doesn’t change in relation to the axle tube. so, we don’t need fancy tools.

note: this won’t find your caster angle. This will only find the change to the caster angle

So, without fancy tools you can measure your axles spacial rotational orientation with an angle finder before you start and compare that to after you start. The location of the angle finder on the axle doesn’t matter, as long as it’s consistent between the two measurements. All you need to know is the ° of change. If you throw the caster out by 2° then you just need to fix it 2° In the right direction.

Now the part that gets hairy for me is the steering wheel. Normally this is easy, you just set the wheels straight and adjust the length of the drag link with the steering wheel unlocked until it looks centered. After that, drive it, and see if it’s straight. You can fine tune it until it’s perfect with your eyeballs However, something makes me feel like it’s not that easy on these trucks. I’m assuming they have a sensor that tells them the position of the steering wheel and if the steering wheel is off a little bit, it could potentially throw off the stability or traction control sensors etc.

My question would be about steering wheel position sensors, if any. If the drag link length is not perfect (steering wheel not perfectly centered) how would that impact the truck electronics and nannies?

*Please chime in if you have any knowledge of the steering system and how it works related to changing the drag link length and centering the steering wheel.

also, if you have a jacked up alignment before you start, then none of this helps. You probably need a “professional” job.

obviously I’ve had too much Red Bull this morning.

Cheers

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I guess I should mention the track bar. All of the above assumes the axle is centered under the vehicle.

if you have an adjustable track bar, which you should look into if your axle isn’t centered, then you can calculate track bar length change needed using Trigonometry and you can check it with a tape measure.

if you can’t do that, just call an alignment shop.

Squatch

Reaction score
I have done my own alignments with a tape measure on any of my solid axle trucks I have owned, the shops always screw it up, I’ve tried 3 different ones prior to when I started doing my own. With our trucks just aim for zero total toe and I also go by look and feel of the caster angle (steering too touchy vs sluggish, no groaning joints), steering wheel straight when going straight, and honestly just eye-ball for track bar as it isn’t that important.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Centering the steering wheel is no more difficult on the 4.5 gen than anything else I've worked on in the past. Loosen the bolt, adjust the drag link, re-tighten.

I do know that if it is too far to the side the EVIC will flash you with a Service ESC warning, but I didn't experience any other warnings or nanny lights before getting the wheel re-centered.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
That’s good to know. I have always been happy with “straight enough” or “eyeball straight” which is not to be confused with “dead on balls accurate”

as long as I won’t get a freakin light from the steering wheel being off 1° of eyeball then I’m happy. that was my main concern.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Centering the steering wheel is no more difficult on the 4.5 gen than anything else I've worked on in the past. Loosen the bolt, adjust the drag link, re-tighten.

I do know that if it is too far to the side the EVIC will flash you with a Service ESC warning, but I didn't experience any other warnings or nanny lights before getting the wheel re-centered.
When you say “other warnings” before getting “re-centered”

do you mean:
you installed the lift and drove it to the alignment shop, or drove it before centering the wheel at home, and got a light on the way? After it was centered you were GTG?

or did you center it at the house and have to re-do it because it was off?

how far was it off? 1 o’clock? 2 o’clock? Just wondering how much it takes to make the truck mad.

Last edited:

Squatch

Reaction score
My steering wheel was probably 25-30 degrees off from the factory and was not giving me a warning, besides the internal warning saying who the hell put this truck together? Goes guy had a tequila Tuesday and had to align my truck on a Wednesday before shipping.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
When you say “other warnings” before getting “re-centered”

do you mean:
you installed the lift and drove it to the alignment shop, or drove it before centering the wheel at home, and got a light on the way? After it was centered you were GTG?

or did you center it at the house and have to re-do it because it was off?

how far was it off? 1 o’clock? 2 o’clock? Just wondering how much it takes to make the truck mad.
I installed the lift, drove it around a bit to check for any clunks, etc... when I got the Service ESC warning (was way off at that point - probably about 8 o'clock). I did drive it about 20 miles in that fashion, so assume anything that should have popped up would have.

The next day I took a few tries to get it re-centered, each with a drive around the block. The first couple of those drives had the same Service ESC warning, but nothing beyond that. On the second to last try, I'd guess it was about 11 o'clock and I did not have the warning, so it was just a matter of wanting it closer to 12.

My new wheels and tires are both in transit, so I haven't been to a shop for an alignment.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I installed the lift, drove it around a bit to check for any clunks, etc... when I got the Service ESC warning (was way off at that point - probably about 8 o'clock). I did drive it about 20 miles in that fashion, so assume anything that should have popped up would have.

The next day I took a few tries to get it re-centered, each with a drive around the block. The first couple of those drives had the same Service ESC warning, but nothing beyond that. On the second to last try, I'd guess it was about 11 o'clock and I did not have the warning, so it was just a matter of wanting it closer to 12.

My new wheels and tires are both in transit, so I haven't been to a shop for an alignment.
So the warning went away on its own once you corrected the angle. That is good to know. Thanks!

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
So the warning went away on its own once you corrected the angle. That is good to know. Thanks!
Correct. When I first received it, I was assuming I'd need to clear a code or something once I got it back to satisfactory, but was pleasantly surprised when it just disappeared.

After I get the new wheels/tires on, I'll update the tire size in AlfaOBD and will check for any lingering codes at that point, but am assuming nothing will be there.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
How much lift did you guys go with and how much caster change did you see?

May throw this 1” front lift on this weekend

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Thuren says that for their 2.5” coils you want the cams one tick toward the rear of the truck

both of mine are one tick forward of center. So it seems like it would only need one tick, if any, for 1” lift.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
How much lift did you guys go with and how much caster change did you see?

May throw this 1” front lift on this weekend
I went with the Thuren 3" front + 1" rear.

I'm still trying to get my alignment right, as I've been to three places so far (first wouldn't touch it, second wanted only to do FCA specs, third tried and got relatively close).

But from the printout, when I took it in, Caster was 2.4* on the left and 3.4* on the right.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thuren says that for their 2.5” coils you want the cams one tick toward the rear of the truck

both of mine are one tick forward of center. So it seems like it would only need one tick, if any, for 1” lift.
In my experience every one inch up is 1/4 tick back even with the old 2nd gens up to these 4.5gens

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I've never messed with my own alignment on anything newer than my old '72 Catalina.

But when looking at the eccentric bolts, they're definitely not in sync as suggested by Thuren.

I've contacted a couple of the specialty 4x4 shops around here and none can fit me in until mid-Feb, so I'm thinking of trying it on my own.

For those who are familiar, would it be safe to assume I can simply put the front end up on jack stands, loosen the bolt, rotate and re-tighten?

RPS1030

Reaction score
You can measure caster with a “camber” angle gauge, turn plates (or 2 pairs of smooth tiles under the front tires) and some calculations. Measure the camber when turned X Degrees (20 usually) to the left and again to the right.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
You can measure caster with a “camber” angle gauge, turn plates (or 2 pairs of smooth tiles under the front tires) and some calculations. Measure the camber when turned X Degrees (20 usually) to the left and again to the right.

Yeah, I saw lots of those types of tutorials while searching the web, but none discuss the actual process of how to make the adjustments. They all just mention rotating the cams as if I already know the process.

Squatch

Reaction score
I've never messed with my own alignment on anything newer than my old '72 Catalina.

But when looking at the eccentric bolts, they're definitely not in sync as suggested by Thuren.

I've contacted a couple of the specialty 4x4 shops around here and none can fit me in until mid-Feb, so I'm thinking of trying it on my own.

For those who are familiar, would it be safe to assume I can simply put the front end up on jack stands, loosen the bolt, rotate and re-tighten?
Don’t even need jack it up, just block the tires if you’re worried.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Happy to report that it was easier than I was making it to be in my head.

27mm socket on the outside
24mm wrench on the inside

Loosened the outside nut, adjusted the bolt with the 24mm welded inside nut, then re-tightened.

Torque wrench broke the bolts free at about 215 ft/lb, so I tightened them up to the same

Users who are viewing this thread