Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi Dual Exhaust

Electronut

Reaction score
No delete kit.
Went to my exhaust guy. We cut it off, reused some of the stock pipe as his bender did not bend 3 1/2" pipe, to get the exit where I wanted it. Welded on a new tip and called it good. Pictures of the ordeal are in my build thread. Cost me $100.
Thanks Crusty. I'll checkout. I may just try this mod first before getting crazy changing mufflers and all. Be nice to get an appealing black tip on the exit to match my truck trim too. Don't like the stock pipe exit. Not very eye appealing.

Found this on YouTube and in the comments guy confirms no drone when removing the resonator.

Electronut

Reaction score
It's for real on my truck. No drone with the S-Type muffler and tailpipe.
Interesting. Found this clip. That exhaust sounds sick. Funny watching these guys remove the stock system. That is an easy system to install.

Claw - is it still quiet in the cab though? How is noise level inside compared to stock?

Electronut

Reaction score
I called Borla out West to get some input. I got a gentleman there named Ryan who was very helpful. He could have been dishonest with me to sell the system but didn't. In fact, he steered me away from changing anything at all on the OEM setup after I explained my concerns.

The difference for me is that I will be pulling a travel trailer and the primary use of the truck and why I purchased it in the first place. My truck, because of the trailer use and being under load, will be accelerating more and be at the higher RPM range which will translate to more noise into the cab no matter the aftermarket product I go with. He also advised against removal of the resonator. So essentially there is no magic product. He said even with their S Type exhaust that the no drone scenario goes out the window when your towing under load.

At this point I decided to leave the exhaust stock. I made a significant investment already to improving the suspension and ride quality for more comfort so why ruin it by announcing interior cab noise. Defeats the point of also getting quieter 35s installed on the rig too.

Good input from all of you in this thread however. I appreciate.

Chris1911

Reaction score
The difference for me is that I will be pulling a travel trailer and the primary use of the truck and why I purchased it in the first place. My truck, because of the trailer use and being under load, will be accelerating more and be at the higher RPM range which will translate to more noise into the cab no matter the aftermarket product I go with. He also advised against removal of the resonator. So essentially there is no magic product. He said even with their S Type exhaust that the no drone scenario goes out the window when your towing under load.

Mine does not drone when towing under load. I does get louder when on the gas, but i have never experienced drone at all. When cruising, it's not any louder than stock.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
No drone on my Borla...nice rumble at idle/cruising and as as @Chris1911 mentioned, under load it is louder, but still no drone, but that's just a utility trailer

Will be picking up a TT soon so I guess I'll find out if it is worse under a much heavier load .

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Mine does not drone when towing under load. I does get louder when on the gas, but i have never experienced drone at all. When cruising, it's not any louder than stock.

Ridiculously loud motorcycles and boats aren’t ridiculously loud when cruising…to those in/on them

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I've towed several times with my resonator delete and no excess noise from normal driving. And no drone.

Electronut

Reaction score
That Borla system has to translate into more noticeable decibels into the cab. It's very aggressive on the exterior. I don't want any more added noise resonating into the cab. I'm passed that. Had a Magnaflow on my Jeep for over 12 years.. In 3000 to 4000rpm range was annoying but was more to droning. When I was doing over 65 it was no louder than stock. Wife and kids wouldn't appreciate either. If I have that pedal down when doing steep grades with the TT and trans steps down and engine revs up it would be hard to believe that's not going to be noticed and annoying. Especially when we go out West to the National Parks and weeks of driving . I don't see it.

Optimally I would like to hear for myself before buying but not sure if anyone out there thats near me having the system. I can install this system easily enough but does cost a grand and would hate to throw that cash away if didn't work out.
No drone on my Borla...nice rumble at idle/cruising and as as @Chris1911 mentioned, under load it is louder, but still no drone, but that's just a utility trailer

Will be picking up a TT soon so I guess I'll find out if it is worse under a much heavier load .
Would love to hear your further feedback once you start towing TT.
Ridiculously loud motorcycles and boats aren’t ridiculously loud when cruising…to those in/on them
Bad comparison and apples to oranges. I have 2 Ducatis with aftermarket exhausts. Besides bikes and boats your outside as well hearing it all anyway. The truck your in a cab and you should be better isolated from the noise naturally.
I've towed several times with my resonator delete and no excess noise from normal driving. And no drone.
This may be the thing I try down the road but for now I'll put the brakes on doing anything.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Bad comparison and apples to oranges. I have 2 Ducatis with aftermarket exhausts. Besides bikes and boats your outside as well hearing it all anyway. The truck your in a cab and you should be better isolated from the noise naturally.
Well, I have noticed that on my bikes and my boats that as speed increases so does wind and tire/water noise and the exhaust seems quieter, almost as if the sound is being left behind, even though it is of course louder at higher rpm.
Do you think that an exhaust that is louder than stock at idle can become as quiet as stock at 2000 rpm or more, or that the exhaust noise is being cancelled out by wind and tire noise?

Last edited:

Electronut

Reaction score
Well, I have noticed that on my bikes and my boats that as speed increases so does wind and tire/water noise and the exhaust seems quieter, almost as if the sound is being left behind, even though it is of course louder at higher rpm.
Do you think that an exhaust that is louder than stock at idle can become as quiet as stock at 2000 rpm or more, or that the exhaust noise is being cancelled out by wind and tire noise?
As I was reading your last post I already had in my mind exactly what you concluded. The exhaust noise gets cancelled out by the wind and tire or whatever is more prominent. That's why you think that on the bike or in the boat the exhaust is quieter but it actually isn't.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
As I was reading your last post I already had in my mind exactly what you concluded. The exhaust noise gets cancelled out by the wind and tire or whatever is more prominent. That's why you think that on the bike or in the boat the exhaust is quieter but it actually isn't.

I think you are right. I also think that that wind etc noise will render all but the loudest exhaust to varying degrees of subtlety for occupants at moderate rpm and higher speed while a listener as two differently equipped trucks cruise by would definitely hear a difference between stock and a “performance“ catback.
Of course the latter will be louder even though perhaps, not pervasive to the point of obstinacy.

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
In my 5.7 while towing, there is actually more drone in 8th or 7th than there is in 6th. 1750-ish RPMs the drone is the worst, 2200 there is none, just a nice healthy v8 you can barely hear over the wind/tire noise. Stock exhaust.

6.4 might be different but there is probably something similar, an RPM range where everything comes together to give you "max drone". As long as you can stay out of that range......

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Here's a novel Ideal.

Go to your favorite exhaust shop. Spend about $100 and have the resonator cut off and a straight pipe put in it's place with a nice tip. have it positioned where you want it, like tucked in nice and neat where it should be. Then take the resonator home with you.

If you don't like the way it sounds, then you can easily have the resonator reinstalled. If you do like it, then toss the resonator and be done.

Simple and cheap way to go.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Electronut

Reaction score
Here's a novel Ideal.

Go to your favorite exhaust shop. Spend about $100 and have the resonator cut off and a straight pipe put in it's place with a nice tip. have it positioned where you want it, like tucked in nice and neat where it should be. Then take the resonator home with you.

If you don't like the way it sounds, then you can easily have the resonator reinstalled. If you do like it, then toss the resonator and be done.

Simple and cheap way to go.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Exactly what I would do if I deleted it out and didn't like the result. I can easily put back on. I'm leaving alone for now. That Borla exhaust had me but no way are you not going to hear that inside the truck. Better going with the MPI Super Turbos that have a more modest sound but that system requires welding to install.

Decisions..... Decisions.

Last edited:

ClawSS

Reaction score
Exactly what I would do if I deleted it out and didn't like the result. I can easily put back on. I'm leaving alone for now. That Borla exhaust had me but no way are you not going to hear that inside the truck. Better going with the MPI Super Turbos that have a more modest sound but that system requires welding to install.

Decisions..... Decisions.
F&*% yeah you are going to hear it inside the truck. But you won't get any drone. And if you don't know what drone is then you ain't married. Seriously though, drone is the constant resonance frequency creating sympathetic harmonics within the cabin. Most often it occurs under a low throttle load and RPM around 1500-1750. These harmonics literally make the metal 'moan in the cabin. Most of the time the annoying noise is right where the vehicle wants to cruise in overdrive.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
What he said.

Comes down to what you use your vehicle for.

If it’s just you commuting or running errands and you want it to be loud and fun go for it.

Personally If I’m driving my truck I’m either towing, running errands with the family or going on vacation. None of those scenarios call for louder exhaust. Quiet truck is better for my uses.

Our Jeep has a bit louder exhaust but the vehicle makes a ton of noise and isn’t comfortable for long trips anyway so it’s part of the experience lol. The Toyota crawler is damn near silent because I prefer a quiet rock crawler

Electronut

Reaction score
Personally If I’m driving my truck I’m either towing, running errands with the family or going on vacation. None of those scenarios call for louder exhaust. Quiet truck is better for my uses.

Exactly my situation. This truck is not a daily driver and mainly for pleasure at the moment to use with the family and our TT. Need it quiet, comfortable, and peaceful.

I was looking for that extra grunt but after discussing here it's just too risky. Maybe a resonator delete down the road but as stated will leave alone for now and just get used to the new rig for time being.

762fmj

Reaction score
Just to throw my 2c in also since I've had the dual setup for a few months now. The drone is there but not bad. We go on longish trips and at my driving speed it doesn't drone on the highway. But if your preferred speed is a little lower around 65-70 or so with stock tires on flat road you will get a little buzz with my setup. It starts around 17-1800 and goes up to about 2000. That being said I also picked one of the more aggressive mufflers in their lineup. And it drones wayyyy less than the Flow master 40s on my Camaro.

Something that I don't think I saw mentioned was putting a j pipe in to help cancel resonance. If you're willing to throw some money at it you could always try that.

Also the MPI kit isn't true dual, it uses the stock y pipe and adds a chamber to the end of it before splitting off. If you want a true dual kit it'll have to be custom as far as I know. Personally I say go for it and make it loud, but I'm still in my young and rowdy stage so that's probably against the grain of most people's advice here.

762fmj

Reaction score
Oh and in my initial writeup I mentioned the chirping sound was gone. It's still there just covered up by the louder exhaust. My new suspected culprit is the driver side down pipe between the manifold and cat where there's a bunch of clamped in sections. Gonna get a piece of hose under there and see if I can pinpoint it.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I was going to get a sys
I called Borla out West to get some input. I got a gentleman there named Ryan who was very helpful. He could have been dishonest with me to sell the system but didn't. In fact, he steered me away from changing anything at all on the OEM setup after I explained my concerns.

At this point I decided to leave the exhaust stock. I made a significant investment already to improving the suspension and ride quality for more comfort so why ruin it by announcing interior cab noise. Defeats the point of also getting quieter 35s installed on the rig too.

Good input from all of you in this thread however. I appreciate.
Was go to get an aftermarket exhaust system until I towed my tractor. The combination of trailer and tractor weight a bit more than 9,000 lbs.

The stock system had fair sound starting that load and getting up to speed.

We may get a camper trailer with a goal to travel around a bit and pulling a pass with a aftermarket system would not make for a great experience, so the stock system is staying put.

In the future cutting the resonator off may still be an option though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread