Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi Dual Exhaust

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I can't help myself since after all these are Hemis :p MPI reports only 1 or 2 decibal increase into the cab with the Super Turbo system. I can cope with that if it's accurate. Doesn't look like anyone has in here doing a search.
Decibels increase exponentially rather than linearly. Also, drone has more to do with frequencies than loudness.

Astrohog

Reaction score
Yep, after decades of modified dual exhaust and drone I was driving my 3500 back from MD Dodge and it hit me...
This is quiet and I like it. No more droning exhaust for me.
You just had a coming-of-age moment! Welcome to the FOG club!

ClawSS

Reaction score
I know it's a $ thing, but I am so surprised at how Borla has it figured out. Loud with no drone. It has to be the pipe size remaining the same or some type of cancellation magic in the muffler.
Amazing.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I find multiple reads that doing that causes drone. You don't have?
Not sure where you read that from.
Nope no drone at all. Did it at about 1 month into ownership of the new truck. have had the truck for 1 1/2 years now and 30K miles. Others have done it as well on this forum with the same results.
With the windows up and cruising, you can barely hear the exhaust note. It's more pronounced when the windows are down.
But get on the skinny pedal, and you will hear the growl. Has a nice rumble at idle as well.

areuriding

Reaction score
I have the MRT exhaust sitting in my garage waiting to go on, that's if my truck ever shows up.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I know it's a $ thing, but I am so surprised at how Borla has it figured out. Loud with no drone. It has to be the pipe size remaining the same or some type of cancellation magic in the muffler.
Amazing.
My guess is that there is very little r&d and zero magic going into any of these kits.

These companies making exhausts can barely even provide accurate fitment information of which vehicles their kits fit. I would be very surprised if they are doing much more than reusing one of their off-the-shelf mufflers and putting pre-bent pipes in a kit based off of a chassis drawing maybe fitting their kit to a single example vehicle before marketing it.

The rest is ANC

Last edited:

areuriding

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken MRT is custom made and bent for specific fitment.

areuriding

Reaction score
If it’s sitting in your garage and your truck isn’t here yet, then it’s not custom made for your truck.
What I mean is it's specific to the model not as in for me as an individual. I looked at a lot of exhaust set ups and they seem to be best for what I wanted. The dual exhaust rear like on the 1500 I really like. I have a 2023 Power Wagon coming at some point.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Some time back, I loaned my Pontiac G8 V6 car to magnaflow to design/build a exhaust system for it for production. They gave me a loaner car while they had mine for a week.

System looked great and sounded great. But when driving around at cruise speed, it had a really bad drone. So bad you could not hold a conversation in the car while driving. I contacted them about it. They didn't want to spend any more time on development of the system. So I got them to ship me my stock system back. Sold their system to another car owner with the understanding about the drone. Magnaflow still had the system listed on heir website and I'm sure sold some of the systems.
The guy you see on shows like overhauling installing the magnaflow systems is their lead exhaust developer. he's the guy I dealt with for my car.
I think it's more of here's what fits, unless it's a really high end car, then they spend more time developing the system. When I called and talked to him about the system he designed for my car and the bad drone, he was more worried about the system he was working on for Porsche and didn't have time I guess to do any further testing with my car. Guess he figured the profit margin wasn't big enough to spend more development time on it.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Some time back, I loaned my Pontiac G8 V6 car to magnaflow to design/build a exhaust system for it for production. They gave me a loaner car while they had mine for a week.

System looked great and sounded great. But when driving around at cruise speed, it had a really bad drone. So bad you could not hold a conversation in the car while driving. I contacted them about it. They didn't want to spend any more time on development of the system. So I got them to ship me my stock system back. Sold their system to another car owner with the understanding about the drone. Magnaflow still had the system listed on heir website and I'm sure sold some of the systems.
The guy you see on shows like overhauling installing the magnaflow systems is their lead exhaust developer. he's the guy I dealt with for my car.
I think it's more of here's what fits, unless it's a really high end car, then they spend more time developing the system. When I called and talked to him about the system he designed for my car and the bad drone, he was more worried about the system he was working on for Porsche and didn't have time I guess to do any further testing with my car. Guess he figured the profit margin wasn't big enough to spend more development time on it.
The muffler that was used in this system, was it a muffler with a part number you could buy separately? As in, it was an existing model that they used or did they develop a muffler that was solely made for this car?

What I meant above was I think (could be wrong) they’re taking a muffler that dimensionally fits and can handle the flow of cfm the engine moves and bending pipes to fit the application. Sure, they put science into each muffler but the muffler isn’t tuned to a specific vehicle it’s a “universal” muffler with pre bent pipes.

Electronut

Reaction score
Amazing.
Wasn't aware of the Borla system for our trucks. I don't want too loud either though. Is that for real or just marketing about no drone in that system?
Not sure where you read that from.
Nope no drone at all. Did it at about 1 month into ownership of the new truck. have had the truck for 1 1/2 years now and 30K miles. Others have done it as well on this forum with the same results.
With the windows up and cruising, you can barely hear the exhaust note. It's more pronounced when the windows are down.
But get on the skinny pedal, and you will hear the growl. Has a nice rumble at idle as well.
Quick Google search and that's where it comes up. However if you say so and others in here did as well I believe it. I'll do a search. Which delete kit did you use?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Wasn't aware of the Borla system for our trucks. I don't want too loud either though. Is that for real or just marketing about no drone in that system?

Quick Google search and that's where it comes up. However if you say so and others in here did as well I believe it. I'll do a search. Which delete kit did you use?
No delete kit.
Went to my exhaust guy. We cut it off, reused some of the stock pipe as his bender did not bend 3 1/2" pipe, to get the exit where I wanted it. Welded on a new tip and called it good. Pictures of the ordeal are in my build thread. Cost me $100.

Users who are viewing this thread