Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP - Lots of power but start switch is dead (or now crazy)

RBarrett

Reaction score
2020 3500 6.7 stuck in my driveway. Windows are all down and won't operate. The start button does not light or respond to anything. The remote does not do anything. I have lights and locks and mirror fold from the door. Seats move and dash and 12" display light when door is opened but that's it. Battery disconnect changes nothing, I reseated the fuses and have now started tearing my hair out. Any ideas would be most welcome. The truck is in a bad spot and I really need to move it.

flan

Reaction score
Original batteries? Does it just click when you go to start it?

RBarrett

Reaction score
Nope it has lots of battery. It acts like the the key FOB is dead but that is not the case. The leds for the start button position (ACC RUN START) also don't light up.

flan

Reaction score
Have you tried pushing the start button with the fob? If the batteries were low or dead that is supposedly a bypass to get you back on the road.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Have you tried pushing the start button with the fob? If the batteries were low or dead that is supposedly a bypass to get you back on the road.
If the fob battery is completely dead or somehow making zero contact…it will do nothing, won’t start the truck period.
Happened to me, opened the fob, wiggled the batt and all good.

RBarrett

Reaction score
Yes tried all this. I have two FOBs. Both worked this AM. Now both with new batteries - same thing. It's like the receiver for the FOBs has gone dark.

flan

Reaction score
Here’s a similar problem a member had, but it seems like you unhooked the batteries and it still wont work for you.

RBarrett

Reaction score
That description seems real similar. I didn't turn on headlights with battery disconnected but will try that in the AM. RF hub being bad seems to fit. I just don't see why I can't get my windows up though. That would be nice if it needs to sit at a dealer waiting to get fixed.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
That description seems real similar. I didn't turn on headlights with battery disconnected but will try that in the AM. RF hub being bad seems to fit. I just don't see why I can't get my windows up though. That would be nice if it needs to sit at a dealer waiting to get fixed.
Jeez, what a nightmare. Be glad it’s at home, I guess. Who needs ignition keys, pffft.

RBarrett

Reaction score
Boy thats no joke. I was in the process of unloading my camper after a 2500 mile trip. I've been thinking how many other much worse places I've been in this past two weeks where this could have happened. My camper is partially on its jacks not really on and not really off of my truck. I don't know how I'm going to get a tow truck hooked up to me. I just keep hoping it will start so I can at least drive out from under it.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Boy thats no joke. I was in the process of unloading my camper after a 2500 mile trip. I've been thinking how many other much worse places I've been in this past two weeks where this could have happened. My camper is partially on its jacks not really on and not really off of my truck. I don't know how I'm going to get a tow truck hooked up to me. I just keep hoping it will start so I can at least drive out from under it.
Any good tow guy will know where the neutral strap? is…should be able to roll it from under the camper?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I've never heard of that?? Neutral strap??
My PW has a lil panel on the dash…below and left of the steering wheel.
Under it is a blaze orange nylon strap, move a lil detent, pull the strap and the truck goes into neutral. Never have done it, not quite sure how to reset it…somebody should know here or google/YouTube. @H3LZSN1P3R ?
Would imagine that pushing the attached lever back in would return to park. Just one more thing that makes these keyless trucks most awesome ever!
Here…bad vid but…

Last edited:

RBarrett

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is such a thing on the 6.7 with a 68RFE?

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Sounds like a dead starter to me. The starter on my 2020 died at 35,875 miles, luckily just barely within the 3yr 36k warranty. The symptoms sound nearly identical.

I just hope you have a better towing experience than I did. Took me calling 8 different companies and waiting for over 5 hours to finally get someone to show up. Once I did and got it towed, the dealership got it diagnosed, part ordered and installed in just under a week.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
2020 3500 6.7 stuck in my driveway. Windows are all down and won't operate. The start button does not light or respond to anything. The remote does not do anything. I have lights and locks and mirror fold from the door. Seats move and dash and 12" display light when door is opened but that's it. Battery disconnect changes nothing, I reseated the fuses and have now started tearing my hair out. Any ideas would be most welcome. The truck is in a bad spot and I really need to move it.
Since there is no lighting or response on the start button, and other items work on battery power, check fuse F51. That fuse is for the start button and radio frequency hub. Without this fuse, the start button will not light up at all, and the fob will not function.

RBarrett

Reaction score
Yes I pulled that fuse and looked at it. It looked OK but I will pull it again and actually test it. Looking back I had two other occasions of odd behavior but opening and shutting the door seemed to restore everything. That was a couple thousand miles ago though. Is there a way to get the truck to roll without power? Like the 1500s.

RBarrett

Reaction score
Well luck is not on my side. Fuse 51 tests OK. That would be too simple. We have a winter storm warning for Denver now and all 4 windows are down.. I will need to do something about that sooner than later. Looks like next is get it towed somehow.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Well luck is not on my side. Fuse 51 tests OK. That would be too simple. We have a winter storm warning for Denver now and all 4 windows are down.. I will need to do something about that sooner than later. Looks like next is get it towed somehow.
Disconnect the connector from the back of the push to start button, and check to see if the red wire is getting 12v, and the black wire has continuity to bare metal.

Users who are viewing this thread