Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated steering wheel issue

Metternacht

Reaction score
This is pretty much obvious that it’s going to ultimately end up being the clockspring. I’m guessing they’re throwing everything else at it first to avoid ordering a clockspring because they’re on national backorder.
I need a clockspring also, and my situation is similar to yours, except it’s the driver airbag squib 1. It only happens when turning the steering wheel, and I can watch the open circuit fault set in AlfaOBD while I turn the wheel.
I just checked on an ETA for the clockspring, and as of last night there are 416 backorders, 297 inbound, and no ETA on new orders.
Ok so after no word all day I called and asked for an update. They got the harness installed. And still had issues so NOW the star case engineer wants to put in a new …. CLOCK SPRING! Go figure. So now I get to see how long I have to wait. The service advisor claimed they found one at another dealer and we’re going to see if they could get it. Not sure how that works give the availability situation but will find out tomorrow. Stay tuned RAM boys and girls. Same RAM time. Same RAM channel.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Ok so after no word all day I called and asked for an update. They got the harness installed. And still had issues so NOW the star case engineer wants to put in a new …. CLOCK SPRING! Go figure. So now I get to see how long I have to wait. The service advisor claimed they found one at another dealer and we’re going to see if they could get it. Not sure how that works give the availability situation but will find out tomorrow. Stay tuned RAM boys and girls. Same RAM time. Same RAM channel.

Shocking!

Good luck.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
The service advisor claimed they found one at another dealer and we’re going to see if they could get it.
I’m about to buy that one showing in stock in the country right now LOL (if they actually have it like they claim).
It’s marked up $200 from dealer cost, so I doubt they would agree to a dealer to dealer transfer in your case anyway.

Metternacht

Reaction score
Got a call today. They received the clock spring and installed it. (don’t know how that happened, just hope it is the correct part given availability issues). Didn’t resolve the issue. So now the engineer wants them to put a new steering wheel in it. So to recap. New steering wheel, new module, new switch, new harness, new clock spring, new second steering wheel. Will find out what happens with that tomorrow.

Last edited:

GPurcell01

Reaction score
After 1.5 months my new steering wheel showed up. Dropped the truck off this morning.

For me it's been broken wire - fix said wire - heating elements died in the wheel thanks to the short - now getting new wheel.

Should get the truck back today as they had a spot ready for me.

Metternacht

Reaction score
Got a call today. They received the clock spring and installed it. (don’t know how that happened, just hope it is the correct part given availability issues). Didn’t resolve the issue. So now the engineer wants them to put a new steering wheel in it. So to recap. New steering wheel, new module, new switch, new harness, new clock spring, new second steering wheel. Will find out what happens with that tomorrow.
So, New wheel is on backorder until May 5, they have asked for expedited shipping so we will see what happens, the factory thinks the new wheel is defective. My problem is they have replaced so many parts at this point any of them could have been defective. So unless the wheel show's up earlier I will be without my truck for a month by May 5. If the new wheel doesn't resolve the issue they are talking about body harness issues. I don't know how I feel about opening that can of worms. To be honest I am getting frustrated with the situation and want my truck back. A jeep Compass is not a good replacement and I cannot do anything that I had planned without the truck. So Now I wait.

tchur1

Reaction score
So, New wheel is on backorder until May 5, they have asked for expedited shipping so we will see what happens, the factory thinks the new wheel is defective. My problem is they have replaced so many parts at this point any of them could have been defective. So unless the wheel show's up earlier I will be without my truck for a month by May 5. If the new wheel doesn't resolve the issue they are talking about body harness issues. I don't know how I feel about opening that can of worms. To be honest I am getting frustrated with the situation and want my truck back. A jeep Compass is not a good replacement and I cannot do anything that I had planned without the truck. So Now I wait.
I may not be following correctly but they wont let you keep your truck while waiting for parts for a heated steering wheel issue?

Why cant you keep it and just take it in when new parts arrive?

Metternacht

Reaction score
I may not be following correctly but they wont let you keep your truck while waiting for parts for a heated steering wheel issue?

Why cant you keep it and just take it in when new parts arrive?
Truck is currently disassembled, I suppose they could put it together and give it back, and that is still a possibility, however they wanted to have it ready to go once the part arrived. It is also not local to me as they are 30 miles away and going back and forth to the dealer costs me half a days work all said and done. My main concern is that the issue is snowballing and seems to be growing past the most common fixes I read about. Primarily the clock spring being the issue. And every time they open it up to install and remove parts My concern is they introduce other issues that didn't exist previous. I can be patient, its just getting old folding my 6'8 frame in to the jeep.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6/7L Cummins, and for about a year now during cool weather the heated steering wheel intermittently fails. I'll turn it on if it's cold (especially if it's been sitting out all night when I'm at the fire station), and it'll come on for about 10 seconds then shut off, if I try to turn the heated steering back on, it shuts right off. I even had it happen in front of the service manager, and when he scheduled me to bring it in they claimed they couldn't find a problem. I'm guessing it's an issue with a sensor, or a bug in one of the 100,000 computers in the damn truck, but can't find any fault codes (I have an OBD2 reader). I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen and was successful at getting it fixed who might know what the actual issue is so that I can have the dealership address it?
Check fuses in fuse box they vibrate loose. I had same issue on my 2022 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab, I found a lot of fuses and some relays not seated completely.

tchur1

Reaction score
Had the clock spring replaced yesterday all seems to be working as it should again.

I am having an issue with the TPIS that they cant seem to fix but thats a different story for a different thread.

Metternacht

Reaction score
Ok, this has passed the point of acceptability. Part was supposed to arrive May 5. Didn’t show, Then May 10, 11, 17, 19 and now the 22. I have told them if it doesn’t arrive on the 22 I will pick it up on the 23rd.

Have a ramcares case open. Waiting to see if that helps. Truck has been in since April 4.
Now I am concerned the battery will have issues as I am sure it has been sitting. And will probably be filthy.

Not sure why parts are so difficult to get but this is getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
It’s frustrating, but the dealer can’t make parts appear out of nowhere. The world is still suffering from supply chain issues, and it’s not going to go back to normal for a while. If things continue to heat up with China expect it to get much worse for a very long time.

Metternacht

Reaction score
After the part did not arrive again on the 22. I picked the truck up and will just wait for them to get the part. We will see. It was supposed to arrive yesterday. But I haven’t heard anything so assuming it didn’t. At least I have my truck back and can get stuff done this weekend.

Metternacht

Reaction score
So with all the irony that applies, they just called and the part is in hand, scheduled for June 7 to take it back. Lets hope this solves the issue.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6/7L Cummins, and for about a year now during cool weather the heated steering wheel intermittently fails. I'll turn it on if it's cold (especially if it's been sitting out all night when I'm at the fire station), and it'll come on for about 10 seconds then shut off, if I try to turn the heated steering back on, it shuts right off. I even had it happen in front of the service manager, and when he scheduled me to bring it in they claimed they couldn't find a problem. I'm guessing it's an issue with a sensor, or a bug in one of the 100,000 computers in the damn truck, but can't find any fault codes (I have an OBD2 reader). I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen and was successful at getting it fixed who might know what the actual issue is so that I can have the dealership address it?
I have a 2022 RAM HEAVY DUTY CREW CAB with the 6.7 SO CUMMINS. The problem with mine was a loose fuse I pushed it back in and was good for a couple of weeks. Started doing it again, so I checked bolts holding fuse box in place and found all were loose to varying degree. And tightened them up and problem seemed to go away.

Metternacht

Reaction score
Still unresolved. Now waiting on a rear seat module. That claim the steering wheel is affected by the rear module. I don’t buy it but they have tried everything else.

Metternacht

Reaction score
So Quick update. Truck went in for the parts that were ordered. New service advisor. New veteran 30 yr exp tech assigned as the previous advisor and tech are no longer there. No idea why. They are going to start over at zero and try and figure this out. I am not sure what to think at this point. But they acknowledged that the part that came in had nothing to do with the problem. We will see what happens now.

Metternacht

Reaction score
Is there any way the security gateway module would be causing the heated steering wheel to not work? That is what the star tech is asking them to replace next. Also claiming that it is affecting my cargo camera. Call me Skeptical.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Is there any way the security gateway module would be causing the heated steering wheel to not work? That is what the star tech is asking them to replace next. Also claiming that it is affecting my cargo camera. Call me Skeptical.
I'd say they're just throwing things at the wall and hoping something will stick.

Users who are viewing this thread