Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated steering wheel issue

Tdmva21

Reaction score
Took mine in this morning for the same issue. Dropped it at 7:30 and by 10 had the diagnosis that they were replacing the steering wheel. Time will tell based on all these reports. I'll keep yall updated.

DWEL

Reaction score
I just had this happen to mine. I went to my dealer and they diagnosed the problem being the clock spring. Took it back to them 3 days later and they installed the new clock spring and now working great.
Take it in and ask them to check the clock spring.

Tdmva21

Reaction score
I asked told them the various causes I have learned about via this thread and a facebook group and this is what they discovered. I told them specifically about the clock spring and they said if the turn signal still functions properly (turning off when the wheel straightens out) that the clock spring is most likely not the issue. Not sure I'm sold on that but I honestly don't know how that all works well enough anyway. Hopefully they're right and it's going to be a one and done trip.

tchur1

Reaction score
I asked told them the various causes I have learned about via this thread and a facebook group and this is what they discovered. I told them specifically about the clock spring and they said if the turn signal still functions properly (turning off when the wheel straightens out) that the clock spring is most likely not the issue. Not sure I'm sold on that but I honestly don't know how that all works well enough anyway. Hopefully they're right and it's going to be a one and done trip.
I dont buy that reasoning at all. When my heated steering wheel stopped working due to a failed clock spring, the turn signal was functioning correctly. Dealer replaced the clock spring and fixed the heated steering wheel. All works great now.

DWEL

Reaction score
Yup what tchur1 said. My turn signals worked perfectly as well.

ammdrew

Reaction score
My clock spring failed also, Everything worked perfect except the wheel would no longer heat. You can OHM the steering wheel and clock spring as a unit from the control module under the seat. I did that to ensure it was not the module before I brought the truck in.

On the notes from the tech:

Checked at module open circuit

Removed wheel and checked connection back to module good.
Checked connection through clock spring open circuit.

Replaced Clock spring.

Not exact wording but close.. Any acceptable dealer should be doing the same checks as I am sure MOPAR has outlined a exact procedure before they allow parts to be ordered.

Tdmva21

Reaction score
I don’t buy the turn signal theory either. Here’s where I am as of tonight, without the truck out in front.
- diagnosed as a bad steering wheel
- replaced steering wheel
- notified that the gauge clusters weren’t working at all with new wheel
- higher ups got involved and fixed that issue; gauge cluster working
- new steering wheel didn’t resolve the heated steering wheel issue
- lead service guy taking it apart in the morning again and retracing tech’s steps to get it figured out

i’ve told them that based on research it looks like the clock spring. They‘re not committing to it but said they’d check on that in the morning and see if they have one in stock.

Worst case I get it back tomorrow b/c I’m taking some boys deer hunting Friday/Saturday and need the truck.

Metternacht

Reaction score
Been there done that. Still not resolved, currently waiting on a security module which I think is BS, its been since April that this has been going on. I have spent countless hours and fuel driving the truck to the dealer and back to get worked on but no resolution as of yet. I still think it is the clock spring but they have replaced that and it still doesn't work.

Tdmva21

Reaction score
@Metternacht i’ve read this thread a couple of times and empathize with you on this one. Hell I’m just getting started and it’s annoying.
honest to God if they can’t figure this crap out this week I may just say F it. I’ll drive this thing till it dies and by that time it’ll be the least of my concerns.

flatfish

Reaction score
When the clockspring failed on my 22 D2 Laramie a couple things happen immediately. There was a faint clicking sound when rotating the steerning wheel and the heated function stopped working. Turn singles worked fine. It took the dealer about 15 minuites to fix with the instock replacement. I'm fortunate to have a small town dealer with good techs.

Tdmva21

Reaction score
That's sweet @flatfish. Hopefully my repair will be as quick and with the same result.

I have the truck back now. The dealer had to order a module and clock spring. When those arrive they'll call and swap those out. hopefully that takes care of it. Will keep yall posted.

Arcticzale

Reaction score
Heated wheel in my '21 2500 Limited with 76,000 miles shuts off but only when I go into drive. That shift shuts it down, won't stay on afterward. It's fine shifting to any other gear. Has anyone had this issue? I'm going to diagnose the circuit and have a new clock spring if that's the problem, just wondered if anyone else had this happen related to gear selection.

Last edited:

Arcticzale

Reaction score
Heated wheel in my '21 Limited with 76,000 miles shuts off but only when I go into drive. That shift shuts it down, won't stay on afterward. It's fine shifting to any other gear. Has anyone had this issue? I'm going to diagnose the circuit and have a new clock spring if that's the problem, just wondered if anyone else had this happen related to gear selection.
Ok, so I replaced the clock spring and that seems to have fixed the issue. It has not repeated any prior symptoms and when the heated wheel is activated it stays on. Thanks for everyone here that reported their issues.

Dirtbiker70X

Reaction score
Ok, so I replaced the clock spring and that seems to have fixed the issue. It has not repeated any prior symptoms and when the heated wheel is activated it stays on. Thanks for everyone here that reported their issues.
Did you replace the clock spring yourself or did you take it into the shop? My heated wheel is acting up as well and truck is out of warranty so am considering tackling the job myself.

Arcticzale

Reaction score
Did you replace the clock spring yourself or did you take it into the shop? My heated wheel is acting up as well and truck is out of warranty so am considering tackling the job myself.
I did it myself, but I have a background in collision repair so it was familiar territory. Just judge your own mechanical aptitude appropriately, this is an important safety item.

rross8085

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6/7L Cummins, and for about a year now during cool weather the heated steering wheel intermittently fails. I'll turn it on if it's cold (especially if it's been sitting out all night when I'm at the fire station), and it'll come on for about 10 seconds then shut off, if I try to turn the heated steering back on, it shuts right off. I even had it happen in front of the service manager, and when he scheduled me to bring it in they claimed they couldn't find a problem. I'm guessing it's an issue with a sensor, or a bug in one of the 100,000 computers in the damn truck, but can't find any fault codes (I have an OBD2 reader). I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen and was successful at getting it fixed who might know what the actual issue is so that I can have the dealership address it?
Didn't look thru all the posts but just got mine repaired under my extended warranty. The clock spring was faulty. Code could not be read with an OBD reader. it is under the airbag on the steering wheel.

cmc76

Reaction score
Has anyone determined if there is anything to be repaired on the clock spring assembly? i am getting this issue intermittently , and as you would guess warranty went out about 3,000 ago.
I am not afraid to swap the clock spring, but its a $300 + part

Tdmva21

Reaction score
After some time I was able to get my truck into the dealer for the clock spring replacement. Got it done yesterday and the steering wheel heats up as it should. Hopefully this ends the issue on my truck.

Metternacht

Reaction score
They still cant seem to get mine to work. Star case tech all seem to start at the same place. Have a case open with RAM cares. But I am beyond frustrated at this point. Coming up on 1 year of dealing with this.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Had my clock spring replaced last week for an inop steering wheel heater. The dealer ship said it was a known issue.

Users who are viewing this thread