Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone leveled a 3500 with the auto level rear air suspension?

2022 3500 DRW

Reaction score
If so, what kit or parts did you use? I know there are some sensors in the rear. The only kit I've seen was from Carli and it was crazy expensive. I know BDS made a kit for the 2500 w/ rear air ride, but it says only for 2014-2018 models.
I have had both a 2022 HO SRW with rear air and 2022 HO DRW with rear air and both trucks are only about 0.75” rear high…what the driver behind wanting to raise the front, and why would one want to raise more the 0.5 - 0.75“ otherwise you will have rear squat? Hard to find a 0.5 to .75” front level and don’t know if its worth the effort & cost to install. Seems to me one advanage of the rear air trucks is that they are mostly level from factory.

C00P

Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like you are using the bags to raise the rear slightly. C00P didn't mention that he needed to do that in his post. I was hoping to get the same numbers as you with the bags empty. Good job on the adjustable rods!

My bad, had my notifications shut off. As for my bags, I have absolutely no air in the bags when my bed is unloaded with stock rods. For numbers, yeah I used exactly the method Thuren suggested here are my before and after numbers for 1.75” coils and 1” rear:

BFrontD- 24.5”
BFrontP- 24.25”
BRearD- 25.5”
BRearP- 25.5”

AFrontD- 26”
AFrontP- 26”
ARearD- 26.5”
ARearP- 26.5”

Now I’d like to stipulate that I talked to Thuren via email numerous times in regards to measuring and results, as you can see the math doesn’t necessarily add up. The best advise they gave me was do the front (see where it settles) and measure again. So though the measuring seems all scientific and all, it really boils down the how the truck settles and the look you are going for. My eye connects immediately to the wheel well so ultimately having them the same or slightly higher rear was “level” in my mind. Thus the decision to add the 1” in the rear.

As for bag pressure, before the lift I had residual air pressure in my rear bags. After the rear lift ironically all that residual is no longer present in the bags. This is in fact after cycling the auto air with a load numerous times since. So though adjustable rods were on my mind, no need as of yet. Just got lucky I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotoFish

Reaction score
I have had both a 2022 HO SRW with rear air and 2022 HO DRW with rear air and both trucks are only about 0.75” rear high…what the driver behind wanting to raise the front, and why would one want to raise more the 0.5 - 0.75“ otherwise you will have rear squat? Hard to find a 0.5 to .75” front level and don’t know if its worth the effort & cost to install. Seems to me one advanage of the rear air trucks is that they are mostly level from factory.

Technically you are correct. One thing a guy could do, mainly for ride quality and leveling the truck…. Thuren 0.50” front coils are $360.00. No other parts needed. Do the work yourself. You can still use stock shocks that way, cheap and pretty easy work. I did my 1.75” front and 1” rear and air bag spacers myself, longer shocks are also mando at this point. But wanted a little more clearance for the 9” wide wheel with -12 offset. So yes, it does cost more for all the parts but the front end has a good amount of articulation (track bar & sway bar helps too) But to each there own I guess.

MotoFish

Reaction score
My bad, had my notifications shut off. As for my bags, I have absolutely no air in the bags when my bed is unloaded with stock rods. For numbers, yeah I used exactly the method Thuren suggested here are my before and after numbers for 1.75” coils and 1” rear:

BFrontD- 24.5”
BFrontP- 24.25”
BRearD- 25.5”
BRearP- 25.5”

AFrontD- 26”
AFrontP- 26”
ARearD- 26.5”
ARearP- 26.5”

Now I’d like to stipulate that I talked to Thuren via email numerous times in regards to measuring and results, as you can see the math doesn’t necessarily add up. The best advise they gave me was do the front (see where it settles) and measure again. So though the measuring seems all scientific and all, it really boils down the how the truck settles and the look you are going for. My eye connects immediately to the wheel well so ultimately having them the same or slightly higher rear was “level” in my mind. Thus the decision to add the 1” in the rear.

As for bag pressure, before the lift I had residual air pressure in my rear bags. After the rear lift ironically all that residual is no longer present in the bags. This is in fact after cycling the auto air with a load numerous times since. So though adjustable rods were on my mind, no need as of yet. Just got lucky I guess.

My measurements were similar to yours ( holding center of axel was “close enough for me).

One thing: having the slightly shorter rods I made for the air bags, truck does sit unloaded with zero air in the bags. At least when I push them they have no resistance. But what I like, when I add my 5’er, I no longer use the “alt height” mode as I did before. Truck starts to sag a bit as I set it down on it, then air kicks in and brings it up. Truck still sits pretty level that way, maybe just a touch lower then when empty but definitely not higher which is where it does sit about a quarter inch higher in the rear empty. So it’s working they way I had hoped.

MotoFish

Reaction score
Has anyone use something like this for a simple level solution?

Look at this thread from the beginning (from page 1) I made a set of these off of Amazon. I bought the ends, some stainless all thread, wrapped it with heat shrink tubing and fully adjustable just like the ones you are looking at and it was between 20-30 bucks. Does the same

Reactions: CFE

CFE

Reaction score
Look at this thread from the beginning (from page 1) I made a set of these off of Amazon. I bought the ends, some stainless all thread, wrapped it with heat shrink tubing and fully adjustable just like the ones you are looking at and it was between 20-30 bucks. Does the same
thanks for the heads up!

C00P

Reaction score
My measurements were similar to yours ( holding center of axel was “close enough for me).

One thing: having the slightly shorter rods I made for the air bags, truck does sit unloaded with zero air in the bags. At least when I push them they have no resistance. But what I like, when I add my 5’er, I no longer use the “alt height” mode as I did before. Truck starts to sag a bit as I set it down on it, then air kicks in and brings it up. Truck still sits pretty level that way, maybe just a touch lower then when empty but definitely not higher which is where it does sit about a quarter inch higher in the rear empty. So it’s working they way I had hoped.

That’s pretty much exactly what I have found with mine, very similar. I religiously check my rear bags for resistance as the components continue too settle. If the bags begin to consistently show the resistance they had before I put all the parts in, I’ll definitely shorten the rods.

desertskier

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing some new front springs and rear spacers. I ordered from CJC but they just drop shipped the springs from Thuren.

Free Ships in 1-5 Business Days
TF_Coils_TF350_cd4b235d-c384-44d4-82db-a36ba9ab6f26_compact_cropped.jpg
Thuren Fabrication 2013+ 3500 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Soft Ride Leveling Coils × 1
2013+ RAM 3500 DIESEL - 1.75" FRONT LIFT
$360.00​
CS-DRBKIT-1_compact_cropped.jpg
CARLI SUSPENSION 1″ BILLET BLOCK & U BOLTS × 1
$200.00​
605064_2022-Jun-22_08-20-36PM-000_CustomizedView7146957367_compact_cropped.png
Traxda #605064 - 2013-2022 RAM 3500 AIR BAG - FOR 1" REAR LIFT KIT ****ADD ON KIT ONLY**** × 1
$141.30​

The truck now sits at 26.5" for the fronts and 26.25" at the rear. Started with Fronts = 24.75, Rears 25.25. So it's slightly lower in the rear but not noticeable. Measurements made with bags empty.

Note about Traxda spacers: It looks like they changed the design so you no longer have to rotate the bags 180 degrees as others have mentioned in previous posts. To install the new design you remove the bottom plate from the bags then install the spacer.

Drove it out to our regular weekend hangout after the install. The drive is a mountain road with lots of curves then 12 miles on a dirt road. As others have mentioned the Thuren springs are less harsh. It took some pretty good hits on the dirt road and absorbed much better than the stock springs. Definitely worth it. I also noticed the truck doesn't push into turns anymore. When it was new it would push pretty hard into turns. I thought it was because it was so heavy but after the new sway bar and springs it pretty much goes where you point it.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally got around to installing some new front springs and rear spacers. I ordered from CJC but they just drop shipped the springs from Thuren.

TF_Coils_TF350_cd4b235d-c384-44d4-82db-a36ba9ab6f26_compact_cropped.jpg
Thuren Fabrication 2013+ 3500 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Soft Ride Leveling Coils × 1
2013+ RAM 3500 DIESEL - 1.75" FRONT LIFT
$360.00​
CS-DRBKIT-1_compact_cropped.jpg
CARLI SUSPENSION 1″ BILLET BLOCK & U BOLTS × 1
$200.00​
605064_2022-Jun-22_08-20-36PM-000_CustomizedView7146957367_compact_cropped.png
Traxda #605064 - 2013-2022 RAM 3500 AIR BAG - FOR 1" REAR LIFT KIT ****ADD ON KIT ONLY**** × 1
$141.30​

The truck now sits at 26.5" for the fronts and 26.25" at the rear. Started with Fronts = 24.75, Rears 25.25. So it's slightly lower in the rear but not noticeable. Measurements made with bags empty.

Note about Traxda spacers: It looks like they changed the design so you no longer have to rotate the bags 180 degrees as others have mentioned in previous posts. To install the new design you remove the bottom plate from the bags then install the spacer.

Drove it out to our regular weekend hangout after the install. The drive is a mountain road with lots of curves then 12 miles on a dirt road. As others have mentioned the Thuren springs are less harsh. It took some pretty good hits on the dirt road and absorbed much better than the stock springs. Definitely worth it. I also noticed the truck doesn't push into turns anymore. When it was new it would push pretty hard into turns. I thought it was because it was so heavy but after the new sway bar and springs it pretty much goes where you point it.

Did you use the 1” longer height level sensors? Or are they not needed?

Have you put it in ALT with the level yet?

desertskier

Reaction score
I didn't touch the sensors. The distance between the leaf spring and the sensor doesn't change. I have never used ALT. Maybe next time I tow my 5th wheel I'll try it. I tow my boat regularly but I don't think the bags fill up much so ALT probably doesn't work.

BikePilot

Reaction score
I put Thuren 0.5" springs, track bar, sway bar, and Bilstein shocks (Kings are getting built) on the front of mine along with 37s on 17" methods. It rides amazingly well in the front and pretty decent in the rear. I'd love to improve the rear ride quality and travel but haven't dived into that too much yet.

BigRig

Reaction score
While waiting months and still waiting for my 2023 limited 3500 to arrive, I’ve done a tone of research on this topic, spoke with the staff at CJC and a local 4x4 shop in my area. My final decision was to purchase the Carlie 2.5 level kit then I got a 2” block and 2” rear airbag spacer for the rear.
What I learned is the trucks with the auto leveling system sit almost 1” lower than ones without the leveling system.
When you purchase the level kit from Carlie they come with the 1” block for the rear, but this is designed for the non auto leveling system. Carlie does have one designed for the auto leveling system, but that’s not in my budget at this time.
Because the auto leveling trucks sit 1” lower, a 2” block and 2” airbag spacer should level this truck if you use the 2.5” kit. It might sit .5 higher in the rear.
For those asking about making adjustment to the sensor links, as long as you use an airbag spacer and block that are the same size, no adjustments to the links should be necessary.

Disclaimer, this is what I’ve been told and read only, my truck is on a train and will arrive in the next week or so, unfortunately I’ll be on vacation and not able to pick it up until the third week of August. Hopefully this will work out as I’m hoping and once every is installed I will post measurements and photos if anybody is interested.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My 22 3500 auto-level only sat 3/4” higher in the rear from the factory in normal ride height, so in alternate ride height it was ~1/4” below level.

I rotated the rear ride height sensors and now sit 1 1/4” higher in the rear empty and 1/4” higher in alternate, but still not rake enough to run 1/2” springs without going below level in alternate ride height.

My 2018 3500 auto-level was similar. None of the purpose built auto-level lifts have numbers that match how my auto-level trucks have been built (or either of my dads) so I don’t understand how they sit level with the kits installed, or how they use Alt ride height without doing the the Carolina Squat.

desertskier

Reaction score
While waiting months and still waiting for my 2023 limited 3500 to arrive, I’ve done a tone of research on this topic, spoke with the staff at CJC and a local 4x4 shop in my area. My final decision was to purchase the Carlie 2.5 level kit then I got a 2” block and 2” rear airbag spacer for the rear.
What I learned is the trucks with the auto leveling system sit almost 1” lower than ones without the leveling system.
When you purchase the level kit from Carlie they come with the 1” block for the rear, but this is designed for the non auto leveling system. Carlie does have one designed for the auto leveling system, but that’s not in my budget at this time.
Because the auto leveling trucks sit 1” lower, a 2” block and 2” airbag spacer should level this truck if you use the 2.5” kit. It might sit .5 higher in the rear.
For those asking about making adjustment to the sensor links, as long as you use an airbag spacer and block that are the same size, no adjustments to the links should be necessary.

Disclaimer, this is what I’ve been told and read only, my truck is on a train and will arrive in the next week or so, unfortunately I’ll be on vacation and not able to pick it up until the third week of August. Hopefully this will work out as I’m hoping and once every is installed I will post measurements and photos if anybody is interested.
I wouldn't order anything until you measure your truck. Thuren told me the factory air trucks vary in rear height from truck to truck. I think that's why it's hard to find parts that say they will work although many of the parts will work. I used the Carly 1" block for the rear per CJC recommendation and it fit but it's not compatible as far as leveling with the Carly 2.5" lift for our trucks.

BigRig

Reaction score
I wouldn't order anything until you measure your truck. Thuren told me the factory air trucks vary in rear height from truck to truck. I think that's why it's hard to find parts that say they will work although many of the parts will work. I used the Carly 1" block for the rear per CJC recommendation and it fit but it's not compatible as far as leveling with the Carly 2.5" lift for our trucks.
It’s compatible just not tuned for the shocks, I’m not overly concerned about the ride and I’ve met with a couple of 3500 owners who have used the rear 2” set up like I’m planning on doing and there truck sits perfect.

DeadEnd

Reaction score
Got the Thuren .5" springs, shocks and sway bar installed the other day. I haven't measured anything but I would say the truck is mostly level, possibly a tic nose high.

CFE

Reaction score
Got the Thuren .5" springs, shocks and sway bar installed the other day. I haven't measured anything but I would say the truck is mostly level, possibly a tic nose high.
interested in your thoughts on how it rides now vs before the .5" lift.

DeadEnd

Reaction score
interested in your thoughts on how it rides now vs before the .5" lift.
For me, the stock ride was pretty decent for a 3500 dually. With the combination of Thuren parts, the front just soaks up the bumps. The only real reason to slow down for them now is the stock rear suspension lol. The sway bar helped get rid of the side to side rocking going over driveways and curbs. Money well spent if you ask me.

BigRig

Reaction score
Here is my 3500 limited, 2.5 Carli level kit with 2” rear blocks and 2” airbag spacer.
Looks close to level, unfortunately I’m on holidays, so haven’t picked up the truck and not able to measure.

Attachments

• 3C81E508-030E-4CD7-AA26-39FF99FD9D94.jpeg
    3C81E508-030E-4CD7-AA26-39FF99FD9D94.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread