Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone leveled a 3500 with the auto level rear air suspension?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My truck is a 3500 SRW with the auto-level system. I went with a Carlie 2.5 level kit and a 2” block in the rear. I didn’t want the nose high like I see with most of these trucks that do the level kit on an auto-level system. In my opinion it looks odd. The rear measures .5 of an inch higher in the rear, measured from the center of the rim to the top of the wheel arch. I’m running 37/12.5 R18 tires with a +18 offset Fuel whee. There was a slight rub on the plastic fender liner which I fixed by drilling a hole in the bottom of the liner and using a zip tie to pull it back. Can’t see the zip tie and you don’t have to cut up your truck. Now there is no rubbing at all even when going off road. When I had 35” tires on this truck they cleared no problem (no zip ties). If you run the 35x12.5 tires on stock wheels they will rub on your radius arms and sway bar. They could clear if you went with a narrower 35.

My truck is a 3500 SRW with the auto-level system. I went with a Carlie 2.5 level kit and a 2” block in the rear. I didn’t want the nose high like I see with most of these trucks that do the level kit on an auto-level system. In my opinion it looks odd. The rear measures .5 of an inch higher in the rear, measured from the center of the rim to the top of the wheel arch. I’m running 37/12.5 R18 tires with a +18 offset Fuel wheel. There was a slight rub on the plastic fender liner which I fixed by drilling a hole in the bottom of the liner and using a zip tie to pull it back. Can’t see the zip tie and you don’t have to cut up your truck. Now there is no rubbing at all even when going off road. When I had 35” tires on this truck they cleared no problem (no zip ties). If you run the 35x12.5 tires on stock wheels they will rub on your radius arms and sway bar. They could clear if you went with a narrower 35.

I presume that 0.5” higher in the rear is normal ride heights and you’re tail low in alternate ride height?

BigRig

Reaction score
I presume that 0.5” higher in the rear is normal ride heights and you’re tail low in alternate ride height?.
Correct normal ride height is .5 higher, I haven’t measured in the alternate ride height.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
My 2022 3500 with auto-level already sits level when I’m in alternate ride height. You want to tow in alternate ride height for the improved handling.

So that means you probably shouldn’t lift it unless you want to be tail low when towing.

If you want the front taller you’ll need to lift the rear too.

Otherwise, I’d suggest some 255/80R17’s on the stock rims and call it good. If you want to soften the ride look at the Thuren active rate anti-sway bar. Much better road characteristics and I haven’t noticed anything negative towing my 5th wheel.

@gimmie11s has some 35x10.50R17’s on the stock wheels. Those may work for you too. He is leveled, but doesn’t have the rear auto-level so it’s not the same.

I actually have the OEM air in the rear of my truck. @williamfr Rear lift is 2" blocks, 2" bag spacers, and some 5100 shocks. Front is Carli LVL springs, Bilstein 5160's and a Thuren track bar.

Truck is on 35x10.50r17's like @AH64ID mentioned.

You can see the airbag and spacer in this pic.
IMG_5615.JPG

IMG_5605.JPG

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually have the OEM air in the rear of my truck. @williamfr Rear lift is 2" blocks, 2" bag spacers, and some 5100 shocks. Front is Carli LVL springs, Bilstein 5160's and a Thuren track bar.

Truck is on 35x10.50r17's like @AH64ID mentioned.

You can see the airbag and spacer in this pic.
View attachment 69080

View attachment 69081

Thanks! Didn't realize you had auto-level.

The other issue for 5th wheel towing is the hitch height is probably 3" higher on your truck now, personally I'd have to lift my 5th wheel another 3" and I've already lifted it an inch.

williamfr

Reaction score

gimmie11s

Reaction score
looks like you have plenty of bed rail gap. Is the fifth wheel fairly level? Did you have to do anything like flipping axles?

I'd say after the lift, the trailer does sit a bit nose high. Not too bad, but noticeable.

This is a toy trailer so they sit a bit higher than non-toy hauler style units. This one has the axles already flipped from the factory.

Mxz0588

Reaction score
I put Thuren 0.5" springs, track bar, sway bar, and Bilstein shocks (Kings are getting built) on the front of mine along with 37s on 17" methods. It rides amazingly well in the front and pretty decent in the rear. I'd love to improve the rear ride quality and travel but haven't dived into that too much yet.
Are you getting any rubbing from that setup? Just ordered the same thuren setup for my 24' 3500. Not sure what the largest setup I can run. 20x10x12.5 -19 offset? or reduce down to 11.5 wide tire for potential rub? I tow everyday and need to maneuver tightly with a gooseneck so I want to avoid rubbing. I entertained 22's but I think the -25 offsets are going to be a bit too much for a daily tow rig.

BikePilot

Reaction score
Are you getting any rubbing from that setup? Just ordered the same thuren setup for my 24' 3500. Not sure what the largest setup I can run. 20x10x12.5 -19 offset? or reduce down to 11.5 wide tire for potential rub? I tow everyday and need to maneuver tightly with a gooseneck so I want to avoid rubbing. I entertained 22's but I think the -25 offsets are going to be a bit too much for a daily tow rig.
I trimmed the pinch welds and heated and bent the fender liner back to prevent rubbing. I'm using +18mm offset, 9" wide wheels with 37x12.50s. I think with your width and offset it's likely to rub the back of the fender wells with 37s when you turn.

Users who are viewing this thread