Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone leveled a 3500 with the auto level rear air suspension?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I’m new to the forum and also the HD world. I recently upgraded to a 2021 Laramie 6.7 with Rear Air from a 2020 Rebel and 15 Rebel before that. I absolutely love the truck. When unloaded I run the truck in “Alt Trailer Height” and it gets the truck closer to level which im ok with. I’d rather not do a front leveling kit as I have limited clearance in my garage. I like the idea of doing a 1” air bag spacer and adjustable links to archive a softer ride in the rear. What have you guys used to achieve this? Carli Spacer and the adjustable links from Revel.. and thats it?
Interesting. On my 2020 3500 HO Laramie I cannot activate Alt Trailer Height unless my travel trailer is on the ball. If I try to activate it with not trailer or a light utility trailer it flashes "lowering", then flashes "raising" and turns off.

MotoFish

Reaction score
Interesting. On my 2020 3500 HO Laramie I cannot activate Alt Trailer Height unless my travel trailer is on the ball. If I try to activate it with not trailer or a light utility trailer it flashes "lowering", then flashes "raising" and turns off.
My 2021 3500 is the same. Alternate Hight only works when it has a load on it.

millertime76

Reaction score
For those of you running a 1" Spacer in the rear, do you have any part numbers for what you have? I left for vacation and had the dealer install a leveling kit on my 22, and they used a 2.5" kit on the front of the truck, now the rear is 3/4" low. Id love to get it back leveled. Id like to do this without putting more air in the bags with a longer Link. Thank You in Advance

CdnHD

Reaction score
Maybe that's only for 3500's?? My '21 2500 i can hit the button and watch it lower approximately 1" with no trailer attached or even any weight in the bed (other than the 5th wheel)

MotoFish

Reaction score
I have seen the same statement on other forums, but I cannot confirm. Sounds like 2500’s (with coil springs in rear) will do Alt height while 3500’s (which all have leaf springs) will not unless loaded.

I am going to order the Thuren 1.75 front level lift option after tax return this year. Shouldn’t have to touch the rear other than shock replacement to even out the kit. I will replace front springs, all shocks, track bar, and front sway bar (even though you lose a little carry capacity, this is the major component that makes the ride smoothest).

I will get back to you in a couple months.

Reaction score
Had my '19 leveled a couple years ago with the 2.5" Rough Country spacers. Looks a little high in the front, but truck is leveled. Rear air auto-levels with our 5th wheel (3K pin weight) hooked up, with the rear just slightly lower.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 116
  • RV.jpg
    RV.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 116

jpidgie

Reaction score
@millertime76 - here is what I did to get the rear back to level, install both the leaf spring spacer and the airbag spacer. Both can be purchased on Amazon, and install is a breeze.
The airbag sensor brackets: after you install the lift components, test how much pressure is in each airbag by pressing on it with your thumb. if one is harder than the other, there is about 1/8-1/4" of rotational travel that can be used to dial them in. Just loosen the bolt that holds it in place at the frame, give it a tiny spin, drive it around the block and recheck. I adjusted mine about 10 times before getting it just right.

MotoFish

Reaction score
@millertime76 - here is what I did to get the rear back to level, install both the leaf spring spacer and the airbag spacer. Both can be purchased on Amazon, and install is a breeze.
The airbag sensor brackets: after you install the lift components, test how much pressure is in each airbag by pressing on it with your thumb. if one is harder than the other, there is about 1/8-1/4" of rotational travel that can be used to dial them in. Just loosen the bolt that holds it in place at the frame, give it a tiny spin, drive it around the block and recheck. I adjusted mine about 10 times before getting it just right.

So, I ordered my stuff from Thuren. Went with 1.75”. Trying not to raise rear. If I have to, I know I need adjustable air arm links. Making them on my own with 8mm socket ends and stainless allthread. So, trying to figure out what to do about the air bags? Only see the adapter you have which is 2”. At most, I would add a block to the rear at an inch only. I may just make a 1” spacer. Would have to add 2 new wholes on the axel block, but it shouldn’t hurt the integrity. That way, I can counter sink the factory nut into the spacer and let the bolt pass through factory whole, barely. Then add 2 new bolts to the opposite sides of the axel bracket and just counter sink bolt heads. I think that would work, then the entire system would be same. Thought about adding a 1/2” wheel spacer under it and call it good enough? I think factory threads would work and then no fabrication. I plan to run bags low anyways, so that may be the best choice. What do you think? I am pretty sure front end will be 1/2” to tall, so I plan to correct that if that’s the way it is. No one has a 1/2 block for the rear either. So, the 1” may be my only route.

Vr6mole

Reaction score
I ordered the thuren 2.25 springs, carli 1 inch rear block, and traxda 1 inch air bag spacers from CJC.

I think the 1 inch option is what you are looking for. Full disclosure, I have the parts but truck isn’t built yet.

MotoFish

Reaction score
I ordered the thuren 2.25 springs, carli 1 inch rear block, and traxda 1 inch air bag spacers from CJC.

I think the 1 inch option is what you are looking for. Full disclosure, I have the parts but truck isn’t built yet.
Haha….that’s what I did before my truck showed up when I ordered it. I had cameras installed on my 5th wheel and cargo trailer before truck arrived and some LED lights waiting around too. Good fun. Thanks for the info, I will call CJC.

Scvette

Reaction score
That’s pretty much exactly what I did and I’m pretty much sitting level with mine.

Attachments

• B22AE431-3535-4401-9275-88B76723F62D.jpeg
    B22AE431-3535-4401-9275-88B76723F62D.jpeg
    871 KB · Views: 176

MotoFish

Reaction score
That’s pretty much exactly what I did and I’m pretty much sitting level with mine.
Looks Great! How much front? How much rear? Confirming, factory air bags?

Like your wheels, I almost pulled the trigger on those. Ended up with XD Hoss. Kept going back to them. Went round and round with 3 different wheels. I still have lots of original tread left, with my New wheels a 20x9, I will finish out the lame Firestones.

Thanks

Scvette

Reaction score
2.5” Carli leveling kit. 1” blocks for the air bags and rear end. And yes I do have factory air and the bags are not inflated at all as it sits. I measured front and rear and I’m pretty much level, maybe a touch low on the rear but you can’t tell by just looking at it.
Looks Great! How much front? How much rear? Confirming, factory air bags?

Like your wheels, I almost pulled the trigger on those. Ended up with XD Hoss. Kept going back to them. Went round and round with 3 different wheels. I still have lots of original tread left, with my New wheels a 20x9, I will finish out the lame Firestones.

Thanks

MotoFish

Reaction score
2.5” Carli leveling kit. 1” blocks for the air bags and rear end. And yes I do have factory air and the bags are not inflated at all as it sits. I measured front and rear and I’m pretty much level, maybe a touch low on the rear but you can’t tell by just looking at it.
Well it looks great. I bought Thuren 1.75 and I am going to order the 1” block for mine also. It’s about $300 for block, u-bolts and bag spacer. But that way I can deflate bags as much as possible. Truck will cruise empty on the 2 springs. Hopefully it rides better that way. For about $31 I bought 8mm socket ends and 2 sets of stainless all thread, that way I can slightly lengthen the bars and fool the system to deflate unless I have a load on it. Just waiting for parts!
Thanks

BTW…. Your big “Booty Judy” looks pretty darn nice with them Fuel Blitz

kpecks

Reaction score
I ditched the Bilsteins for these. Normally I would never be this excited to recommend a RC product but they outperform both the Fox 2.0 and the Bilstein. They are 1.5” longer than the stock shocks that came on my 3500 factory air ride.
This is what I’m interested in... anyone else running these? Any other feedback? I’m tired of waiting for CJC to get the Carli fox shocks...

MotoFish

Reaction score
This is what I’m interested in... anyone else running these? Any other feedback? I’m tired of waiting for CJC to get the Carli fox shocks...
Not sure about those. However, Everything I ordered from Thuren is due to be here Tuesday, with the exception of the front Fox tuned shocks…. They said looking at about 3 week delay.
1643612036782.png

MotoFish

Reaction score
Ok…. Got everything done today! Still waiting on the back ordered front shocks. Temporarily added a 3/4 spacer on top of the stock shock to get it to work until the others show up. Obviously would be better with a 2” adapter for the bottom of the stock shock, but I plan only to pound pavement with little articulation until the front Fox 2.0’s arrive. Did a Thuren 1.75” front and 1” block in the rear. Added Thuren sway bar, adjustable track bar and Fox stabilizer. Block, air bag spacer and u-bolts are Traxda products, which CJC Off-Road sells, but I found them elsewhere on sale. Just FYI, air bag spacer is more like 1.25” but works great. You do have to spin air bags around to make it work, but it’s 2 top and 2 bottom bolts. You got to get truck leaf stack pretty high above the axel to get the block and bolts on the the leaf pack. Just use lots of safety cribbing. I made my own adjustable rod to tinker with the air bag height. The balls are 8mm if anyone is wondering. I got the ends off eBay for around 10-12 bucks and some 6mm stainless all-thread off Amazon for like 7-8 bucks. Put heat shrink on the threads to black it all out. Works good. I have bags almost empty. I read somewhere someone got a code if running them too empty. I too got a “stability” code. Added a turn out and re-attached the bars, went on a drive and the code went away. Bags are still pretty low, but not empty, but still messing with it, and very happy so far. Can’t wait to wear out the stock tread so I can put some new shoes on it now. Let me know if anyone has questions. I did all the work. Friend has a lift, made job quicker and way easier. Curious if anyone else has seen this stability code or not. If it doesn’t come back I won’t worry about it, if it does may try one more turn on the air bag rod. Otherwise, off to the dealer to check the system.

Attachments

• 14FC0FBB-40C0-4B8E-AB87-DF53A95F5DAD.jpeg
    14FC0FBB-40C0-4B8E-AB87-DF53A95F5DAD.jpeg
    763 KB · Views: 197
  • 11CEA096-0EE8-4F8B-A809-1289817CC277.jpeg
    11CEA096-0EE8-4F8B-A809-1289817CC277.jpeg
    569.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 4E97FBE6-FA7F-4AC2-B379-A10EDBC6000F.jpeg
    4E97FBE6-FA7F-4AC2-B379-A10EDBC6000F.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 177
  • A2253CF3-23ED-4736-8D83-63CEE51DD914.jpeg
    A2253CF3-23ED-4736-8D83-63CEE51DD914.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 193
  • C6755908-C4FF-422C-BF3D-BCB1FD9F5290.jpeg
    C6755908-C4FF-422C-BF3D-BCB1FD9F5290.jpeg
    479.4 KB · Views: 199

kpecks

Reaction score
Ok…. Got everything done today! Still waiting on the back ordered front shocks. Temporarily added a 3/4 spacer on top of the stock shock to get it to work until the others show up. Obviously would be better with a 2” adapter for the bottom of the stock shock, but I plan only to pound pavement with little articulation until the front Fox 2.0’s arrive. Did a Thuren 1.75” front and 1” block in the rear. Added Thuren sway bar, adjustable track bar and Fox stabilizer. Block, air bag spacer and u-bolts are Traxda products, which CJC Off-Road sells, but I found them elsewhere on sale. Just FYI, air bag spacer is more like 1.25” but works great. You do have to spin air bags around to make it work, but it’s 2 top and 2 bottom bolts. You got to get truck leaf stack pretty high above the axel to get the block and bolts on the the leaf pack. Just use lots of safety cribbing. I made my own adjustable rod to tinker with the air bag height. The balls are 8mm if anyone is wondering. I got the ends off eBay for around 10-12 bucks and some 6mm stainless all-thread off Amazon for like 7-8 bucks. Put heat shrink on the threads to black it all out. Works good. I have bags almost empty. I read somewhere someone got a code if running them too empty. I too got a “stability” code. Added a turn out and re-attached the bars, went on a drive and the code went away. Bags are still pretty low, but not empty, but still messing with it, and very happy so far. Can’t wait to wear out the stock tread so I can put some new shoes on it now. Let me know if anyone has questions. I did all the work. Friend has a lift, made job quicker and way easier. Curious if anyone else has seen this stability code or not. If it doesn’t come back I won’t worry about it, if it does may try one more turn on the air bag rod. Otherwise, off to the dealer to check the system.

Sweet! Would you mind posting links to the adjustable homemade bag sensor rods?

MotoFish

Reaction score
Sweet! Would you mind posting links to the adjustable homemade bag sensor rods?
You bet….8mm socket, 6mm thread. Obviously you need 4 total.

Need 2 rods:

Beduan Stainless Steel Long Threaded Screw, Fully Threaded Rod, M6-1.0 Thread Pitch, 250 mm Length (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FJKXZH...t_i_WW20K1CASZH0TEMDQN87?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Vr6mole

Reaction score
Looks awesome! I am doing the same exact thing except I went with the 2.25 springs and the 1" Carli blocks for the rear but did the same Traxda bag spacers.

Are you dead level or still have a little rake? Wonder if the 2.25 in the front might be too high, I definitely don't want reverse rake.

When you say flip the bags around do you mean flip them upside down or just 180*?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread