Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen to OEM LED swap

naplesbill

Reaction score
I bought my oem LED lights off ebay, passenger side for $210 & drivers side for $330, bought the harness from Retrofit for $250. It was a plug & play setup for $790. They work great, no codes, and all functions work 100%. Have had them in for 5 months, zero issues. Easiest and cheapest way, in my opinion.
2021 Ram 2500 6.4L CCSB Bighorn 4x4 Loaded.

Never mind, misread your post. $790 total is not too shabby. But if you plan other mods the cost of AlfaOBD and OBDII reader is a solid investment.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Record

Reaction score
I bought my oem LED lights off ebay, passenger side for $210 & drivers side for $330, bought the harness from Retrofit for $250. It was a plug & play setup for $790. They work great, no codes, and all functions work 100%. Have had them in for 5 months, zero issues. Easiest and cheapest way, in my opinion.
2021 Ram 2500 6.4L CCSB Bighorn 4x4 Loaded.
I’m liking this option.

Dirtbiker70X

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 and the collective BrainTrust on this thread,
I have everything on order to execute the LED conversion to replace my crappy OE Halogen headlights and fog lights. I ordered an OBDlink LX instead of the EX or MX+ as I am using Windows and do not need Ford/GM capability (and it's cheaper). I purchased and downloaded AlphaOBD and am reading their literature. They reference "The LX/SX/CS interfaces require "blue" adapter for the access to the middle-speed CAN bus." Is that accurate or will the LX and KAOdTECH cable allow me to access the BCM to make the needed changes?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
@Jimmy07 and the collective BrainTrust on this thread,
I have everything on order to execute the LED conversion to replace my crappy OE Halogen headlights and fog lights. I ordered an OBDlink LX instead of the EX or MX+ as I am using Windows and do not need Ford/GM capability (and it's cheaper). I purchased and downloaded AlphaOBD and am reading their literature. They reference "The LX/SX/CS interfaces require "blue" adapter for the access to the middle-speed CAN bus." Is that accurate or will the LX and KAOdTECH cable allow me to access the BCM to make the needed changes?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
With the LX, you can make all changes in the BCM. If you need to connect to a module that is on the middle speed bus, such as door modules, hvac, CVPM, you would have to switch the canbus blocks that the kaodtech bypass small connectors are plugged into.

Dirtbiker70X

Reaction score
I did my headlight conversion today! (fog lights have not arrived here yet but are on order!) Thanks to all of the awesome contributors on this subject that provided so much great information that made this very easy to accomplish!! The biggest challenge I had was getting the Bluetooth on my decrepit old laptop working! :mad: The light output difference of the LED's is simply amazing, well worth the money and effort.
I do have a couple of follow up questions for the group;
  1. Do the new headlights need to have their aim checked?
  2. Not headlight related but Alpha OBD worked great! Does anyone know how to enable the engine shutdown timer?
Thanks again everybody!!

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The Retrofit Source is having a 25% off sale for Black Friday. For those that don't want to deal with Alpha OBD.

AlfaOBD.

As in Alfa Romeo.

That's the hardest part about it, getting the name right. :D

AlfaOBD is a software for the diagnostics of the vehicles produced by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) group. 1994-2021 Fiat / Alfa Romeo / Lancia cars, and 2005-2021 Chrysler / Dodge / Ram / Jeep cars are supported. Although the software is primarily targeted for car owners, it provides many of the features of the professional scanners.​
AlfaOBD natively supports the Electronic Control Units (ECU) installed on the FCA group vehicles. The native support differs AlfaOBD from the OBDII / EOBD diagnostic applications providing a limited access to the engine and transmission modules and sometimes to the ABS.​
The AlfaOBD software is supported on the Windows PC and Android platforms.​
The power of a professional diagnostic tool - in your pocket:​

Capital E

Reaction score
AlfaOBD.

As in Alfa Romeo.

That's the hardest part about it, getting the name right. :D

AlfaOBD is a software for the diagnostics of the vehicles produced by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) group. 1994-2021 Fiat / Alfa Romeo / Lancia cars, and 2005-2021 Chrysler / Dodge / Ram / Jeep cars are supported. Although the software is primarily targeted for car owners, it provides many of the features of the professional scanners.​
AlfaOBD natively supports the Electronic Control Units (ECU) installed on the FCA group vehicles. The native support differs AlfaOBD from the OBDII / EOBD diagnostic applications providing a limited access to the engine and transmission modules and sometimes to the ABS.​
The AlfaOBD software is supported on the Windows PC and Android platforms.​
The power of a professional diagnostic tool - in your pocket:​

Duly noted. Thank you for the correction. It won't happen again. This is my first FCA vehicle so I am not super familiar. And I don't think it is hard to deal with just an extra expense and a few extra steps that some people have raised concerns about. I'm sure it is a great tool for many things but if you are only purchasing it to swap headlights it might not be worth it. Just pointing out another option since that is what the OP started this thread about. And pointing out a 25% off sale.

You guys are a tough crowd.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish ALFA had an ios platform lol

An android tablet that can run Alfa is insanely cheap.

You could get a Cybermonday or Prime deal on a kindle and side-load it too. Personally, I'd skip the bloatware adware Kindles and get a cheap Galaxy.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
An android tablet that can run Alfa is insanely cheap.

You could get a Cybermonday or Prime deal on a kindle and side-load it too. Personally, I'd skip the bloatware adware Kindles and get a cheap Galaxy.
I have a gaming laptop and my wifes android phone i can run it i just would like it on my phone lol

scramblyn

Reaction score
I did my headlight conversion today! (fog lights have not arrived here yet but are on order!) Thanks to all of the awesome contributors on this subject that provided so much great information that made this very easy to accomplish!! The biggest challenge I had was getting the Bluetooth on my decrepit old laptop working! :mad: The light output difference of the LED's is simply amazing, well worth the money and effort.
I do have a couple of follow up questions for the group;
  1. Do the new headlights need to have their aim checked?
  2. Not headlight related but Alpha OBD worked great! Does anyone know how to enable the engine shutdown timer?
Thanks again everybody!!
Hey @Dirtbiker70X - Did you ever find out if these self adjust? Have other drivers been flashing you?

Users who are viewing this thread