Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen to OEM LED swap

TogaLock77

Reaction score
Retro Shop https://shop.retroshop.us/ is swapping out my halogens, headlights and tails, for OEM LEDs today. They’re using my truck for instructional photos and currently have everything available on their site to make the swap. Here’s what they’ve sent me so far. 397497A1-FA1D-48D6-96BC-665C98AE2127.jpeg
The owner has a gorgeous 2500 also. He’s done a lot of custom light and paint work to it. Maybe he’ll post some stuff here.

Capital E

Reaction score
That looks great! Is it just the harness and OEM LED lights or are they providing the headlights as well? I didn't see anything on their website for the HD trucks, just the 1500. Is this a new product or did I miss it on the website?

TogaLock77

Reaction score
Send Jeremy an email. Not in mass production yet. He’s sold a few sets based on requests. He sells OEM lights and the harnesses. What I mean by “lights” is the entire headlight housing. He sells the housings from Mopar and the harnesses which he makes in house.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Do the LED headlamps require a special harness or can i activate LED in the BCM using ALPHA ?
No special harness needed. Your existing connectors will plug right into the new headlamps.
These are all the settings that need to be changed in car configuration change to make them work just like factory:
CBC features LED front turn lamp present- YES

CBC features LED low beam lamps present- YES

CBC features LED high beam lamps present- YES

CBC features LED front park/marker lamps present- YES

CBC Config I/O Usage front park/signature lamp left pin A7- YES

**2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat. Front park/signature lamp right pin A5- YES**

**Note** If you do not see this 2014 CBC setting, then use this one:
2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat. Truck bed lighting feature- PRESENT **

CBC Extern.Light Calibr.: Signature light present- YES

Last edited:

Jcannon

Reaction score
So If I am adding led headlamps, tail lamps and fog lamps I need no harnesses other than the fogs?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So If I am adding led headlamps, tail lamps and fog lamps I need no harnesses other than the fogs?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
My reply earlier only pertains to the LED headlamps. If you are ADDING fog lamps because you don’t have them from factory, then you need to add the harness and headlamp switch for them and enable a few more settings in AlfaOBD. If you have halogen factory fogs, and are swapping them for factory LED fogs, it is a direct plug n play swap, but you have to enable the LED fog lamp setting. The LED tail lamps have a 12-way connector on them, whereas the base tail lamps have a 6-way connector, so you’ll have to build little conversion harnesses for them using about $20 in parts. You’ll also need to enable the LED tail light settings for those.
EDIT: Since you already have AlfaOBD, you might as well just get the LED tails with blind spot sensors, and enable that feature too. It’s only a few wires that need to be added and is fairly simple.

Last edited:

Jcannon

Reaction score
My reply earlier only pertains to the LED headlamps. If you are ADDING fog lamps because you don’t have them from factory, then you need to add the harness and headlamp switch for them and enable a few more settings in AlfaOBD. If you have halogen factory fogs, and are swapping them for factory LED fogs, it is a direct plug n play swap, but you have to enable the LED fog lamp setting. The LED tail lamps have a 12-way connector on them, whereas the base tail lamps have a 6-way connector, so you’ll have to build little conversion harnesses for them using about $20 in parts. You’ll also need to enable the LED tail light settings for those.
EDIT: Since you already have AlfaOBD, you might as well just get the LED tails with blind spot sensors, and enable that feature too. It’s only a few wires that need to be added and is fairly simple.

Jimmy, Can you point me in the direction of the extra wires for Blind Spot? Would I need the mirror right away as well. I just ordered the Taillights but may be able to swap them out as they are on hold for backorder

dandog27

Reaction score

so im doing this very thing on my 4.5Gen 2019 tradesman II 2500 6.7 crew cab. got a sweet deal locally from a guy with a laramie that swapped his headlights out for the black housing led's... so i bought his and installed them and they function 100% with key on truck off, as soon as i start truck up they flicker and shut off!

after many dealerships trying still no luck.
countless hours later i find write-ups on this for earlier trucks, but no conformation on the 19-20 hd trucks....

so lets get to the brass tacks, has anyone done the halogen to oem led upgrade without harness/butchering factory loom, and used alfaobd on a 19-20 hd truck?????

if so what connection setting do i use in alfa for a 19'-20' 2500/3500 ?
im sure i can figure out what settings to change, based on previous comments.

im just trying to verify personal experiences before wasting more $$$$ on this conversion. or just put the halogens back in and sulk..... lmao
all information welcome thanks

Jimmy07

Reaction score
so im doing this very thing on my 4.5Gen 2019 tradesman II 2500 6.7 crew cab. got a sweet deal locally from a guy with a laramie that swapped his headlights out for the black housing led's... so i bought his and installed them and they function 100% with key on truck off, as soon as i start truck up they flicker and shut off!

after many dealerships trying still no luck.
countless hours later i find write-ups on this for earlier trucks, but no conformation on the 19-20 hd trucks....

so lets get to the brass tacks, has anyone done the halogen to oem led upgrade without harness/butchering factory loom, and used alfaobd on a 19-20 hd truck?????

if so what connection setting do i use in alfa for a 19'-20' 2500/3500 ?
im sure i can figure out what settings to change, based on previous comments.

im just trying to verify personal experiences before wasting more $$$$ on this conversion. or just put the halogens back in and sulk..... lmao
all information welcome thanks
Yes. You must make the changes I listed above for them to work properly. I’ve had several members on another forum successfully do this.

dandog27

Reaction score
Yes. You must make the changes I listed above for them to work properly. I’ve had several members on another forum successfully do this.

do i select 13'-17' truck? or have they done an update that includes newer trucks?

dandog27

Reaction score

and do i need the kaodtech security bypass harness to do this thru alfaobd?

Users who are viewing this thread