Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen to OEM LED swap

DevanA

Reaction score
The adventure continues… I put the order in last night for both AD revision lights from BAM. Got an email shortly afterwards that the Right headlight was not available in either AC or AD. It didn’t sound like they were willing to backorder, so I reached out to Benny at Allmoparparts and he said that the AC revision Right headlights are in stock at Mopar.

Not sure where the discrepancy is between the two vendors’ stock quantities, but I ended up ordering the 68360178AC Right headlight and 68360179AD Left headlight; fingers crossed that they go through. I’m curious to see if the packaging is different between the two revisions.

DevanA

Reaction score
I did have one other question for those that have done this swap. When making the changes to the BCM with AlfaOBD, is it still necessary to use the Windows version, or will the Android version work?

The reason I ask is because I saw another post from Jimmy07 saying that it had to be the Windows version of AlfaOBD. That was back in 2020, so I wasn’t sure if that is still the case. My truck is a ‘22 if that makes a difference.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I used alfa android to change everything.

I also had to order from separate places when I bought all new housings. that was maybe a year ago.

RyanYNH

Reaction score
Hey all - looking to do this conversion on my 22 Bighorn. I have the chrome package and have seen part numbers for chrome vs night editio, etc. wondering if anyone has part numbers for the chrome assemblies? Thanks

darmyguy17

Reaction score
I need help . I have put night edition headlights in my tradesman 22 model , they plugged right in but are not working correctly. I'd like more info about how to use the alfa obd I keep seeing you post about .
Well, you’re putting in headlights that don’t “belong” on the truck to begin with, so any warranty for headlight issues is out the window anyway. Then, you’d have an aftermarket harness with resistors and fuse taps that if they see those, opens the door to not covering ANY lighting issues.
At least with using AlfaOBD, you are correctly configuring the BCM the way a factory LED headlight equipped truck would be configured, and you aren’t adding any aftermarket wiring at all, you’re just plugging in different OEM headlights.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
this is for the matching tails if you're feeling spicy. thanks as always to Jim for the knowledge base he provides.

Screenshot_20230516_195852_Chrome.jpg

dkinner

Reaction score
Just finished this upgrade on my bighorn. I love the difference that this made both how the truck looks and how I can see better at night. There is no comparison. This thread help tremendously in getting the right part numbers and programming completed.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

scramblyn

Reaction score
Just finished this upgrade on my bighorn. I love the difference that this made both how the truck looks and how I can see better at night. There is no comparison. This thread help tremendously in getting the right part numbers and programming completed.
View attachment 58955View attachment 58956View attachment 58957
That looks fantastic and is exactly what I want to do on my 19 bighorn, which is also in the best colo (black) like yours. What part numbers did you end up with? There seem to be many versions.

did you consider doing an in-grill light bar, and if you did, why did you skip it? i'm thinking do to both at once. Thanks and congrats on your new awesome illumination.

dkinner

Reaction score
That looks fantastic and is exactly what I want to do on my 19 bighorn, which is also in the best colo (black) like yours. What part numbers did you end up with? There seem to be many versions.

did you consider doing an in-grill light bar, and if you did, why did you skip it? i'm thinking do to both at once. Thanks and congrats on your new awesome illumination.
The part numbers I ended up with were 68360178ac and 68360179ad. I ended up having to order from 2 separate places which still proved to be difficult to find and get them without being on back order. I am too impatient to wait for weeks when ordering something.

I didn't consider doing an in-grill light bar at the moment. I am currently just working on OEM upgrades that I want on the truck. Once my pocket book cools down a bit from everything else I am doing I might consider it.

Capital E

Reaction score
What are you guys doing with your old headlights? A guy I talked with that owns a body shop said they are hard to find and really expensive. Is there a market to sell them used? I've had mine sitting on the shelf for a year and am ready to free up some space.

Last edited:

sn_85

Reaction score
The part numbers I ended up with were 68360178ac and 68360179ad. I ended up having to order from 2 separate places which still proved to be difficult to find and get them without being on back order. I am too impatient to wait for weeks when ordering something.

I didn't consider doing an in-grill light bar at the moment. I am currently just working on OEM upgrades that I want on the truck. Once my pocket book cools down a bit from everything else I am doing I might consider it.

Nice. Did you use AlfaOBD or a harness?

dkinner

Reaction score
I have a question for the ones that have changed the factory halogen fogs to the LEDs. I installed mine last night and programmed with AlfaOBD for LED FOGS PRESENT - YES. But they are not working. I read on the 1500 forums that the polarity needed to be changed in the factory plug. Is this correct or is there something else that I am missing. I just wanted to check before I start cutting and moving wires. Mine is a 22 Bighorn. I looked all over here and couldnt find a write specific to this. Only for adding fogs to tradesmans.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
you need the factory switch and harness. otherwise run them to an aux switch, or stand alone rocker switch.

dkinner

Reaction score
I already have the switch and wiring there since I am just going from halogen to the LED.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I have a question for the ones that have changed the factory halogen fogs to the LEDs. I installed mine last night and programmed with AlfaOBD for LED FOGS PRESENT - YES. But they are not working. I read on the 1500 forums that the polarity needed to be changed in the factory plug. Is this correct or is there something else that I am missing. I just wanted to check before I start cutting and moving wires. Mine is a 22 Bighorn. I looked all over here and couldnt find a write specific to this. Only for adding fogs to tradesmans.
That’s correct, you need to switch the two wires at the fog light connectors when going to LEDs from factory halogens.

Users who are viewing this thread