Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

Cseybert

Reaction score
If you key in the 686 number from the actual part it does come up on a lot of website for sale

Reaction score
Yea its still a relay but they went from the tried and true solenoid to a solid state relay and still having issues with it….
Problem with solenoids seems like poor manufacturing process. Retired gm / delphi employee. I was a electrician, a solenoid is nothing but a coil

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Problem with solenoids seems like poor manufacturing process. Retired gm / delphi employee. I was a electrician, a solenoid is nothing but a coil
I am aware of what it is but there was never an issue with the old design that went for decades now they went to a new solid state relay and its nothing but issues

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been disconnected for a couple weeks, and not too many miles. Got in the truck today and a P2609 was set. It’s for Intake Air Heater System Performance.

Not sure why it triggered it as I’ve done multiple cold starts with it since being disconnected, and I haven’t heard of anyone else having the code set with the relay disconnected.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been disconnected for a couple weeks, and not too many miles. Got in the truck today and a P2609 was set. It’s for Intake Air Heater System Performance.

Not sure why it triggered it as I’ve done multiple cold starts with it since being disconnected, and I haven’t heard of anyone else having the code set with the relay disconnected.
:rolleyes: LOL

Cpsram21

Reaction score
Moper web site is quoting parts are available. I have reached out to my dealer to check in with Moper and confirm
Must be for the 23 models because mine still says unavailable as of tonight but its a 21 so probably at the bottom of the list.

Reaction score

What was the ambient air temp when it triggered the code? If you cleared it did it come back?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What was the ambient air temp when it triggered the code? If you cleared it did it come back?

I’m not entirely sure. It set on the wife while I was out of town. It’s been cool, but not crazy cold. It hasn’t come back.

I’m not sure if she did something different to trigger it, like wait for the WTS, or it just happened.

The relay control is still plugged in.

Reaction score
I’m not entirely sure. It set on the wife while I was out of town. It’s been cool, but not crazy cold. It hasn’t come back.

I’m not sure if she did something different to trigger it, like wait for the WTS, or it just happened.

The relay control is still plugged in.
Thanks

Will_T

Reaction score

Thanks. Could be the reason or maybe just different strokes for different trucks. I had mine disconnected from the battery for months and it only set a code once and that was the time I forgot and let the WTS countdown complete. All the other times I pushed to start twice and no issue. There were several mornings where the ambient temps were in the 30s or 40s F.

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
I can second the sudden code set while the relay has been disconnected. On my 2021, I disconnected the relay when the first recall was announced. I have had zero issues until last week. I started it up using the double tap method, and it set a code. I don't recall the code number, but it was easily cleared using my Banks iDash. No more issues since that one instance.

I wasn't buying the "fix" that RAM initially came up with. I decided that I would not have any of the recalls done for the relay issue until the real fix came into existence. I think I will have this latest one installed, once it's available, unless others report that the new relay is not any different from the older ones.

millerbh

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2023 2500 Limited.......the heater grid relay was replaced yesterday. My dealership said they are expecting to get two relays per week.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Just picked up my 2023 2500 Limited.......the heater grid relay was replaced yesterday. My dealership said they are expecting to get two relays per week.
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback on this. Please keep us posted if you run into any issues after the repair.

William
Ram Cares

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
The replacement relay 68606435AB is on the Mopar website. Says it replaces 68444169AA & 68444169AB for 2021-2023 2500 & 3500. View attachment 53995
View attachment 53996

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello,

The part you've listed is not the same part number on the recall. The recall part number for the 13A: Grid Heater Relay is CSTP13A1AA.

William
Ram Cares

Reaction score
Could you please send us the relay part number that they installed. Seems to be several conflicting numbers out there.
Thanks

leroyg

Reaction score
I thought I had hit pay dirt today, I decided to stop at Ram dealership and get my name on a waiting list for the relay. Service person
tells me we have five in stock! He said it would take about 45 minutes, Truck went back into the shop area and about 45 minutes.
later the service person approached me with an apology, The relay's they had did not fit the 2022 Ram 3500. I wasn't surprised as
parts have been far and few.
Then the surprise to me and I apologize, if I have had my head in the sand lately, he tells me they went ahead and took care of another.
recall! I said which one, I have had work done on the tailgate and transmission dipstick.
He said they went ahead and changed out the flanged nut on the starter (in order to have better contact)
Anyone else heard of this, I am now thinking it was another way to justify the time in the shop.Ram Flanged Nut.jpg

Leroy

Users who are viewing this thread