Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

CdnHO

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the solid state relays will reduce the occurance of the killer heater grid bolt?
Not likey as both mechanical and solid state relays probably result in the heater grid drawing the same amount of current. Only solution is to get rid of it. Personally I check the bolts at every oil change. It is when they start to get loose that the arcing occurs. Give them a good wiggle to make sure they are tight.

Reaction score
Took mine in today for 4 total recalls including this one. I am on the waiting list for the new relay.

Not likey as both mechanical and solid state relays probably result in the heater grid drawing the same amount of current. Only solution is to get rid of it. Personally I check the bolts at every oil change. It is when they start to get loose that the arcing occurs. Give them a good wiggle to make sure they are tight.
Thanks

millerbh

Reaction score
I was told by Ram Recall today that the engineers have not even come up with a solution for this recall yet !! WTF!

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Yeah that's the ticket in my opinion. Just unhook it. No problems whatsoever. Maybe it's releasing a slightly higher level of emissions until it warms up but oh well. I was tired of mine sitting outside wondering when the next big hailstorm would hit. I figure they'll come up with the fix when they get good and ready.

I feel for the guys that can't get their new trucks though. Ram owes you all one on that deal.

flan

Reaction score
I was told by Ram Recall today that the engineers have not even come up with a solution for this recall yet !! WTF!
Well, they are releasing 2023 trucks to the owners so they must have the fix, IF the relay is the same solid state design as the older trucks. I have not seen anyone with a 23 post any info about what relay is under their hood.

millerbh

Reaction score
Well, they are releasing 2023 trucks to the owners so they must have the fix, IF the relay is the same solid state design as the older trucks. I have not seen anyone with a 23 post any info about what relay is under their hood.
My Ram 2023 2500 was built 26 January and is being held hostage on the dealer lot due to the recall. Ram 2023 2500's built after February 1st are not involved in the recall.... apparently they built them with a different relay.

flan

Reaction score
My Ram 2023 2500 was built 26 January and is being held hostage on the dealer lot due to the recall. Ram 2023 2500's built after February 1st are not involved in the recall.... apparently they built them with a different relay.
Ok thanks for the correction. At least there is a light on the horizon as far as them having a fixed relay.

DougB

Reaction score
Hopefully, someone can find one of these post Feb-1 2023’s and investigate what’s changed.

RossWatkins

Cranky
Reaction score
To William @ Ram Cares. Can you give us who have their vehicles sitting in dealer lots an update? It is beyond frustrating that we are not hearing any official time lines or potential fix from Ram. Surely the fix is a simple one - put the same grid Heater in that has been put into the post Feb 1st production vehicles! The frustration for us that have pick ups sitting in dealer lots is beyond words. Does Ram Care, really care? Or do we just not matter? I was lucky enough to get a loan vehicle for 2 weeks, so I can continue to work. Sadly that loan vehicle has broken down and now I’m stuck unless I rent a pick up @ $1000 per week! What does Ram plan to do to compensate us who have our vehicles impounded? Please do not ask me to pm you, this is very much a public issue, thus your response should and must be targeted to all customers who want answers on this.

scout110

Reaction score
To William @ Ram Cares. Can you give us who have their vehicles sitting in dealer lots an update? It is beyond frustrating that we are not hearing any official time lines or potential fix from Ram. Surely the fix is a simple one - put the same grid Heater in that has been put into the post Feb 1st production vehicles! The frustration for us that have pick ups sitting in dealer lots is beyond words. Does Ram Care, really care? Or do we just not matter? I was lucky enough to get a loan vehicle for 2 weeks, so I can continue to work. Sadly that loan vehicle has broken down and now I’m stuck unless I rent a pick up @ $1000 per week! What does Ram plan to do to compensate us who have our vehicles impounded? Please do not ask me to pm you, this is very much a public issue, thus your response should and must be targeted to all customers who want answers on this.
Well said. They have to know something. Is there a part being made? Are they still trying to find the problem? They have to know if it's going to be 2 weeks or more than a month out. I called Ram customer service and they told me nobody knows. I am at the point do I cancel my purchase and get my down-payment back and look elsewhere?

cr_10

Reaction score
They don’t know anything. Ram is being very tight lipped on things. Wouldn’t expect any answers or to have your truck any time soon.

Jcp6263

Reaction score
My dealer told me that they’re expecting a update from ram April 1 about parts and when they’re going to get them my truck has been sitting on the lot for 3 weeks now I ordered back in September. He did indicate to me that it could be as far out as May before, they receive the parts and I can collect the vehicle. At this point. I have pretty much lost all faith in ram. Their communication sucks. and I have already reached out to a couple dealers regarding a Chevy or a GMC I do not like the look of the exterior but the interior of the new 24s are beautiful and I’m getting a year ahead vehicle with newer technology. I haven’t fully made up my mind on what I’m going to do. I have about $1800 in accessories that I have purchased for my ram i’m going to give them another couple weeks to see if they come up with anything but they need to get their act together real quick. If not, I anticipate them losing a lot of business.

dogbreath650

Reaction score
Your dealer is just guessing, I wouldn't panic yet. As the parts release is being phased by VIN I would expect the parts to be arriving earlier than May as pre-sold trucks should be in the first phase of parts released. Besides, have you checked the lead time for the 24 Chevys? Bet it'll be a lot longer wait than for your RAM to be released to you.

techman

Reaction score
Besides, have you checked the lead time for the 24 Chevys? Bet it'll be a lot longer wait than for your RAM to be released to you.

Absolutely true! No manufacturer has caught up with supply chain/covid issues. Go to another brand will be its own set of headaches.

Anyone in a hurry needs to find a used one on a lot ready to go.

millerbh

Reaction score
Your dealer is just guessing, I wouldn't panic yet. As the parts release is being phased by VIN I would expect the parts to be arriving earlier than May as pre-sold trucks should be in the first phase of parts released. Besides, have you checked the lead time for the 24 Chevys? Bet it'll be a lot longer wait than for your RAM to be released to you.
My 2023 2500 was built 26 Jan and has been sitting on the dealer lot for a couple weeks now due to the recall. I just got a message from the dealer saying they are doing the repair now and I can pick the truck up Monday. This is very weird, I called RAM recall yesterday and they said they did not have a fix yet. We will see what happens Monday, keeping in my fingers crossed.

RossWatkins

Cranky
Reaction score
My dealer told me that they’re expecting a update from ram April 1 about parts and when they’re going to get them my truck has been sitting on the lot for 3 weeks now I ordered back in September. He did indicate to me that it could be as far out as May before, they receive the parts and I can collect the vehicle. At this point. I have pretty much lost all faith in ram. Their communication sucks. and I have already reached out to a couple dealers regarding a Chevy or a GMC I do not like the look of the exterior but the interior of the new 24s are beautiful and I’m getting a year ahead vehicle with newer technology. I haven’t fully made up my mind on what I’m going to do. I have about $1800 in accessories that I have purchased for my ram i’m going to give them another couple weeks to see if they come up with anything but they need to get their act together real quick. If not, I anticipate them losing a lot of business.
Moper web site is quoting parts are available. I have reached out to my dealer to check in with Moper and confirm

Attachments

• 8BBCE608-6757-45EA-A24D-BD4D42649207.png
    8BBCE608-6757-45EA-A24D-BD4D42649207.png
    802.5 KB · Views: 46

Jcp6263

Reaction score
The dealer I bought my wife’s Yukon from has one on the lot right now and is selling at MSRP but it’s in the wrong color I’m looking for and I do not like the Duramax engine it’s not like ram is giving these trucks away we are paying top dollar for these vehicles I got about 10% off of MSRP with my ram and it still comes in higher for the equivalent Chevy 3500. like I said, I’m going to give them another couple weeks I know it’s not the dealers fault they’re doing all they can, but RAM can easily relieve a lot of frustration by just communicating better, and not giving generic answers

Reaction score
My 2023 2500 was built 26 Jan and has been sitting on the dealer lot for a couple weeks now due to the recall. I just got a message from the dealer saying they are doing the repair now and I can pick the truck up Monday. This is very weird, I called RAM recall yesterday and they said they did not have a fix yet. We will see what happens Monday, keeping in my fingers crossed.
We would appreciate an update of the remedy.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread