Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Mopar Recalls - Parts Available please book with Dealer,
Called local dealer, Stellantis is blocking this recall being fixed for my MY( MY22)

Managed to get the last one (68606435AB) from OEM Mopar Parts Store (Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram of McKinney TX) ordered and will be here tommorow. Install myself and make a claim, terribly handled recall @RamCares
We are sorry to hear about your experience. Should you wish to discuss this further with us, please send us a PM. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

JohnRiley

Reaction score
Is this how you get someone at Ram to really care that you spent 80k on their truck instead of a competitors. My 18’ has had 3 main seals put in it at a dealership that I guess they just use for practice at this point so last year I said screw it I’ll buy a new one for work since switching everything out of a work truck for it to go to the shop for a week is a pain. I now have one that has covered my garage floor in oil and the other that might burn it to the ground. Called FCA to ask about liability Monday since relays are 7 weeks out and I hate letting a brand new 80k truck sit out especially during bad weather. I was told as long as I follow the instructions on the recall I’d be okay then disconnected me. My house is close to my neighbors on both sides so now I guess I make the choice of if I value their safety or my own family’s as to where I park this thing in the driveway. FCA is a joke I wish I had financed this so I could stop payments and they’d repo it. These trucks are way overpriced for what you get anymore. New only means new problems. I’ve had 4 Rams and doubt I pull the trigger on 5.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Is this how you get someone at Ram to really care that you spent 80k on their truck instead of a competitors. My 18’ has had 3 main seals put in it at a dealership that I guess they just use for practice at this point so last year I said screw it I’ll buy a new one for work since switching everything out of a work truck for it to go to the shop for a week is a pain. I now have one that has covered my garage floor in oil and the other that might burn it to the ground. Called FCA to ask about liability Monday since relays are 7 weeks out and I hate letting a brand new 80k truck sit out especially during bad weather. I was told as long as I follow the instructions on the recall I’d be okay then disconnected me. My house is close to my neighbors on both sides so now I guess I make the choice of if I value their safety or my own family’s as to where I park this thing in the driveway. FCA is a joke I wish I had financed this so I could stop payments and they’d repo it. These trucks are way overpriced for what you get anymore. New only means new problems. I’ve had 4 Rams and doubt I pull the trigger on 5.
Thank you for sharing your feedback. This is unfortunate news. Should you wish to discuss this further with us, please send us a PM.

William
Ram Cares

rfullen280

Reaction score
Definitely feel your pain/stress. Yes, it should be made right. That many main seals is ridiculous...

As for your grid heater "relay". Just disconnect it from the battery - and your truck won't catch on fire for that. At least then you don't scorch your house.

I don't know what the number of burnt down trucks is, but I've only seen photos of 1 here on this site.

SpeyRam

Reaction score
i've seen a few pics on this thread and others but can someone share a pic of the relay in the engine bay? Want to disconnect this thing. Getting myself acquainted with 4/5th gens after working on 2nd gens for so many years.

Jay P

Reaction score
i've seen a few pics on this thread and others but can someone share a pic of the relay in the engine bay? Want to disconnect this thing. Getting myself acquainted with 4/5th gens after working on 2nd gens for so many years.
Don't have a pic but it's hooked to the passenger side battery and the relay is bolted to the frame by the air intake tube.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

post #35

(post #1 also updated with info)

1683760201361.png

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your feedback. This is unfortunate news. Should you wish to discuss this further with us, please send us a PM.

William
Ram Cares

post #35

(post #1 also updated with info)

Post 374 is the new relay

anm290jd

Reaction score
Ye
Definitely feel your pain/stress. Yes, it should be made right. That many main seals is ridiculous...

As for your grid heater "relay". Just disconnect it from the battery - and your truck won't catch on fire for that. At least then you don't scorch your house.

I don't know what the number of burnt down trucks is, but I've only seen photos of 1 here on this site.
Ah, me too, I'm a GM guy but my nephew said Dodge is best all around. So pulled the trigger last May, parking in my garage until Now parking my Laramie outside the paint is getting hammered by tree sap, pollen, etc...not good

CdnHO

Reaction score
Ye

Ah, me too, I'm a GM guy but my nephew said Dodge is best all around. So pulled the trigger last May, parking in my garage until Now parking my Laramie outside the paint is getting hammered by tree sap, pollen, etc...not good
Disconnected as shown in post#388 and park it back in the garage. Since you are seeing pollen on it, the weather is warm and you won't notice any difference in performance. Be sure to double tap the start button to avoid the CEL coming on.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Ye

I’ve got to say, all this recall and TSB stuff is new for me. I drove Toyota trucks for 25 years without a single issue. I needed an HD truck to pull a big 5th wheel. I didn’t even consider anything but a RAM. So far, my Ram experience has been good. My order was delivered in 3 months back in early 2022 and I really like the truck. No issues in the first 12 months. It pulls an 18k fifth wheel over mountain passes without breaking a sweat and we both enjoy driving and riding it it.

I’m not too put out about the relay or tailgate things as I can deal with those myself if necessary. The grid heater “bolt of death” bothers me because it’s such a stupid, easily avoided design issue. How that design got past an engineer is beyond me. At least I can do the “jiggle test” every so often to make sure I stay ahead of it. The one that really troubles me is the Aisin transmissions blowing up. There is no way to anticipate it and it can leave you stranded in a bad situation. Does anybody know the percentages on these problems? Like most everything, you only hear about it when it fails which is understandable. Something working like it should is no news.

Cseybert

Reaction score
When did you get your truck in 22? first three months, second three months, third three months?

Bombaman

Reaction score
Just an update, RAM are currently refusing to re-imburse me for the part, I'm not concerned as the cost is worth the peace of mind. But I'm still going to be a pain in there ass.

So if you go down this route, assume you need to just eat it.

Cseybert

Reaction score
Just an update, RAM are currently refusing to re-imburse me for the part, I'm not concerned as the cost is worth the peace of mind. But I'm still going to be a pain in there ass.

So if you go down this route, assume you need to just eat it.
Where did you purchase it at? Everywhere I’ve tried. They refuse to sell it to me.

Bombaman

Reaction score

Riddick

Reaction score
I had my truck in for recall work a couple of months ago (dip stick, tailgate) and was told the parts for the grid heater were not available and were on order. I assumed I was added to a wait list and would be called when they came in, WRONG. I called today to check on it and was told that customers had to call and request to be placed on the wait list. Basically, if you took your truck in prior to receiving a letter that parts were available there's a chance you are not on a list. I am not to worried about this but would like to get it done. Does not help I'm moving half way across the country in July and will more than likely have to start the wait process over once I move.

Users who are viewing this thread