Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

95Ctd

Reaction score
I was able to pickup my 22' today. Side note, even though I confirmed on Wednesday I would be picking up today 1.25 hrs into the 1.5 hr ride home they called me and forgot to do some computer beep boops things that would not allow it to be delivered in the computer system and had to go back.

Attachments

• 20230422_182043~2.jpg
    20230422_182043~2.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 35

rfullen280

Reaction score
Seems so crazy to me that if this recall is so important and a fire risk they are fixing the trucks that aren't being driven. There are 2021 trucks on the road with a safety issue and they are last to be fixed.
Well, of course it seems crazy to you - you don't have to sell trucks off the lot :) Figure it's not Ram's problem if your truck catches fire...it's your insurance's...

Me, I look at that solid state relay and go - yep... some electrical engineer had a case of the "Good Idea-itis".

rfullen280

Reaction score
Pretty sure the relay recall is because the relay sticks on and overheats. The grid heater draws more current than the relay is designed to carry continuously and lights on fire. The bolt burning off is due to poor contact and arcing at the grid heater. Really two different issues.
Technically, it's not a "Relay" in the standard electro-mechanical sense, but a Solid State Relay - in essence a big transistor. The silicon in them is probably breaking down, and as such...overheats.

Heat also kills them... it's the enemy of silicon based electronics - and there's no heatsink on these relays...

Cpsram21

Reaction score
CSTP13A1AA was ordered per the recall for my '21...and 68606435AB is what arrived and was installed View attachment 55460
It's funny you got your 21 done already, I talked to my dealer Friday and she showed me her computer where it specifically states that only the fix for 22-23 were available and if used on a 21 model they would not be reimbursed for the part or labor. I had asked if I could get on the wait list for my 21 and that's when she turned her screen around and showed me what it said. Besides the fact she also stated they are only getting 1 relay a week ! So they don't even have there 23 in stock models or sold 22 orders close to caught up. I guess being in the little town of Caldwell Idaho they don't think we need to many

Ostracize

Reaction score
It's funny you got your 21 done already, I talked to my dealer Friday and she showed me her computer where it specifically states that only the fix for 22-23 were available and if used on a 21 model they would not be reimbursed for the part or labor. I had asked if I could get on the wait list for my 21 and that's when she turned her screen around and showed me what it said. Besides the fact she also stated they are only getting 1 relay a week ! So they don't even have there 23 in stock models or sold 22 orders close to caught up. I guess being in the little town of Caldwell Idaho they don't think we need to many
You have 2 of the larger ram truck volume dealers there... But the impact is unknown... Though I'd bet there is one.
I guess I'm just lucky I have a service writer that has the ability to think logically with respect to seeing through the 22-23 fix "not" applying to the 21s even though they are the exact same system. They are also a dealer that doesn't have alot of hd trucks so I think that works in my favor.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Well, of course it seems crazy to you - you don't have to sell trucks off the lot :) Figure it's not Ram's problem if your truck catches fire...it's your insurance's...

Me, I look at that solid state relay and go - yep... some electrical engineer had a case of the "Good Idea-itis".
Now, don't be disparaging Electrical Engineers. A good electrical engineer would have made sure the solid state relay could handle the max load current under continuous duty, then doubled the capacity. We hate heat. I'd point the finger at a "good" accountant.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Do an online quote on that warranty through Zeigler. I don’t have all the specs of your setup but it may not be that far off from their pricing. Not horrible but I’m not sure they were doing you a huge favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was pretty close, especially if it was worked into financing as that’s a benefit over cash out of pocket.

XPS

Reaction score
Anybody know when the 2021 official recall will be released? I have a deposit on a 2023 RV, but it's built on a 5500 2021 CAB chassis. RV is brand new, so they can sell without the recall being done first.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Anybody know when the 2021 official recall will be released? I have a deposit on a 2023 RV, but it's built on a 5500 2021 CAB chassis. RV is brand new, so they can sell without the recall being done first.
The 2022 model year was released last week. We are anticipating for the 2021 model year to be released sometime in May. We will send a notification out on this once we get any further updates. Thank you.

William
Ram Cares

XPS

Reaction score
William @ Ram Cares,

Is there a priority set for new units? Either though the Ram is a 2021, it is a brand new 2023 RV that has been sitting on the dealer lot since the recall. And they can't sell it without the recall being done. I would think a priority could be made on some case by case basis? Is there a better estimated "Sometime in May" date by chance?

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
William @ Ram Cares,

Is there a priority set for new units? Either though the Ram is a 2021, it is a brand new 2023 RV that has been sitting on the dealer lot since the recall. And they can't sell it without the recall being done. I would think a priority could be made on some case by case basis? Is there a better estimated "Sometime in May" date by chance?

We cannot give you a specific date at this time, as it is subject to change. We will keep everyone affected on this further posted. The vehicles that are presold usually have top priority at the dealership. Once the repair has been released to the dealer, we recommend coordinating with your dealer on when they're able to get the recall done on your vehicle.

William
Ram Cares

Aero_Dave

Reaction score
Hey, Ram Cares, please take note. I 'Had' an appointment this Tuesday. The dealer is 30 minutes away & I took the day off for this appointment. When I called them to make the recall appointment, they asked for my VIN #. When I gave it to them, they said, 'You're not in our system, so let me get some more information from you'. So at this point, they Should have figured since I'm Not in their system, I didn't buy my truck from them. Anyhow, they took my info and told me a part was available & made the appointment for me on Tuesday to get it fixed. I get there at 10:00am (my appointment time) they came out to my truck to verify the mileage and plugged into my ODB port with some device. The tech verified I was getting recall 13A fixed & the Tailgate Latch recall checked.

I sit in the customer lounge for about 20 minutes, when the tech comes back in. He proceeds to tell me, 'I'm sorry but since the 13A recall is a restricted parts order, we have to fix our inventory 1st, then customers that Bought from us next. Since you didn't buy your truck from us, we can't fix your truck today. In fact, I'm not even sure when we could get your truck fixed at this point. Your best bet would be to call the dealer you purchased from'.

I asked, then why when I called last week & they knew I didn't buy the truck here, did they even give me an appointment? He just apologized & said the person taking my call just looked at my VIN #, the Recall part & since we had the part, they just booked me.

So basically, Ram is letting me continue to drive my 2022 Longhorn Limited that Might catch-fire, because I went to a dealer I didn't buy my truck from. Man I really hope nothing happens before I get my truck fixed because Any lawyer would have a field-day with this case!

Rant over!!!!

The1adman

Reaction score
Hey, Ram Cares, please take note. I 'Had' an appointment this Tuesday. The dealer is 30 minutes away & I took the day off for this appointment. When I called them to make the recall appointment, they asked for my VIN #. When I gave it to them, they said, 'You're not in our system, so let me get some more information from you'. So at this point, they Should have figured since I'm Not in their system, I didn't buy my truck from them. Anyhow, they took my info and told me a part was available & made the appointment for me on Tuesday to get it fixed. I get there at 10:00am (my appointment time) they came out to my truck to verify the mileage and plugged into my ODB port with some device. The tech verified I was getting recall 13A fixed & the Tailgate Latch recall checked.

I sit in the customer lounge for about 20 minutes, when the tech comes back in. He proceeds to tell me, 'I'm sorry but since the 13A recall is a restricted parts order, we have to fix our inventory 1st, then customers that Bought from us next. Since you didn't buy your truck from us, we can't fix your truck today. In fact, I'm not even sure when we could get your truck fixed at this point. Your best bet would be to call the dealer you purchased from'.

I asked, then why when I called last week & they knew I didn't buy the truck here, did they even give me an appointment? He just apologized & said the person taking my call just looked at my VIN #, the Recall part & since we had the part, they just booked me.

So basically, Ram is letting me continue to drive my 2022 Longhorn Limited that Might catch-fire, because I went to a dealer I didn't buy my truck from. Man I really hope nothing happens before I get my truck fixed because Any lawyer would have a field-day with this case!

Rant over!!!!
This reminds me of the type of service received from Chrysler from the half dozen different owners they have had right before each one has gone bankrupt and sold them. I have owned a handful of brands, but mostly Chrysler for the last 25 years. I will take my truck to the dealer for major warranty repairs, but anything else I just do myself to avoid the aggravation of Chrysler dealers and warranty.

baker01

Reaction score

Rant over!!!!
I had that happen on Thursday and I bought the truck at this dealer. They had the part in inventory and then it magically disappeared. I had an 85 mile drive each way.

Users who are viewing this thread