Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas 2500 spongy brakes and other issues

pizzatots

Reaction score
Glad I found this post. This is my biggest complaint on my 2023 Hemi. The brakes suck - especially in slow speeed parking lot situations. I have scared myself silly just about running in to cars or walls because my brake pushing was not enough. What can we do???

ah great. was hoping it would be resolved on the '23s. maybe get ram cares involved some how?

Tmd171

Reaction score
My 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the same problem. Spongy, mushy, unable to place a stop correctly, and as everybody says, not confidence inspiring. Come to find out the trucks have the same problem which means it is the chosen design. It bothers me so much, that I actually prefer driving my 180k mile ‘12 Durango. Does anybody know if the 2023’s are the same? If so, I will trade in for one, if not, I’ll be changing brands. It’s ridiculous to hate a truck for a single reason like this, but I hate it!

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Has anyone swapped a diesel hydroboost into a hemi 2500 or 3500?

I wonder if the gas cab and chassis 3500/4500/5500 trucks have hydroboost brakes?

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
So has anyone gotten a dealership to actually fix the problem. I read the other posts and this one as well and it seems people who do not have the problem are trying to tell us others that there is no problem. it is 100% a noticeable problem. I ahve taken it to the dealer ship, the first time they bled the brakes and it still happened, the 2nd time they replaced the booster.I have a 2020 PW, it only happens at very low speeds. Like when I am backing into a parking spot. I can press my pedal all the way down to the floor board and nothing happens I have to pump it 2 more times for it to engage and actually start to brake. If nobody has gotten an actual fix from the dealership has anyone made a BBB complaint that I can add to or should I just make my own.
Hey Dhawk111,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. We'd be happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance. Please reach out to us via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Has anyone swapped a diesel hydroboost into a hemi 2500 or 3500?

I wonder if the gas cab and chassis 3500/4500/5500 trucks have hydroboost brakes?
It’ll create a cascade of effects. I went the other way around with my 2017 Hemi- I had to switch from hydro boost to vac assist in order to add adaptive cruise.
The 2019+ Hemi pcm is calibrated to look for the vacuum pump circuit. If it doesn’t see it, the PCM will store faults, and communicate to the ABS module that it’s missing, and the abs module will fault. This will cause the abs to lose ESC and cruise control.

ollicat

Reaction score
My 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the same problem. Spongy, mushy, unable to place a stop correctly, and as everybody says, not confidence inspiring. Come to find out the trucks have the same problem which means it is the chosen design. It bothers me so much, that I actually prefer driving my 180k mile ‘12 Durango. Does anybody know if the 2023’s are the same? If so, I will trade in for one, if not, I’ll be changing brands. It’s ridiculous to hate a truck for a single reason like this, but I hate it!
I have a 23, they are the same brakes - very disappointing. I actually like driving my Pacifica better, from a stopping perspective.

ClawSS

Reaction score
I noticed today...using adaptive cruise, that it was slowing properly to traffic coming to a stoplight. I decided to take over by applying the brake myself and WOW was the pedal right at the top and very firm. As @Brutal_HO mentioned earlier, it was in charge of the boost.

pizzatots

Reaction score
My ‘23 hemi delivered last night. Yeah. Spongy pedal for sure. My ‘20 1500 wasn’t confidence inspiring but the 2500 is way spongier.

Tmd171

Reaction score
I wish we could hear from a Mopar braking system engineer who could shed some light on this. If it's related to adaptive cruise/emergency braking, maybe it could be fixed with a software update?

pizzatots

Reaction score
I noticed today...using adaptive cruise, that it was slowing properly to traffic coming to a stoplight. I decided to take over by applying the brake myself and WOW was the pedal right at the top and very firm. As @Brutal_HO mentioned earlier, it was in charge of the boost.

I noticed the same thing. Pedal felt great after taking over from ACC.

iuranium235

Reaction score
First off…I bought a 2019 RAM 3500 crew cab Tradesman Level 2 4x4 Cummins HO new in 2019. Two weeks ago I bought a 2022 RAM 2500 crew cab Tradesman Level 2 4x4 Hemi and the biggest thing I noticed was the super spongy brakes on the Hemi. They do stop the truck, but it feels like air in the system and lots of pedal travel. The Cummins truck isn’t like this. Heck, my 2005 Ford F-350 Powerstroke has a vastly more confidence inspiring pedal. What I notice is that the diesel trucks use a hydro boost system and this truck uses a vacuum booster. Any thoughts on this?

Otherwise, besides the squeaky / squealy cold start sound of the Hemi, I’m very impressed with the powertrain. Excellent smooth transmission (which I could say that about the Aisin) and powerful responsive gas engine. Won’t tow as well, but empty around town it’s great.
I have a 2022 power wagon with spongy brakes as well. 3500 miles since new. Wasn't till after I rear ended someone that I noticed the left brakes would skid and release as the antiskid took over but the right side kept rolling. Having it looked into. Any thoughts?

troverman

Reaction score
I have a 2022 power wagon with spongy brakes as well. 3500 miles since new. Wasn't till after I rear ended someone that I noticed the left brakes would skid and release as the antiskid took over but the right side kept rolling. Having it looked into. Any thoughts?

ABS will only release the wheels that are on the verge of locking up. In your case, perhaps the right wheels could receive max braking and still not lock up. On my truck, you cannot make ABS engage while doing a panic stop from 40mph on dry pavement. I find that unacceptable, but the dealership told me it is normal. The truck does not have the braking power it should, even though around town it will stop fairly smoothly. But if you need to stop very quickly, especially with a load...well, I've come close to rear-ending someone who stopped abruptly. As I've said, my other vehicles...including a vintage 2005 F-350 diesel...stop quickly and with great braking power. I'm not happy, but I've resigned myself to it and live with it.

iuranium235

Reaction score
I agree with anti-lock is as the name implies. The right side did not lock but my left side did as the skid marks show with the slight pull to the left. 40-45 mph in wet conditions with a brake check at a yellow light makes a crunchy sound. The extra 10 feet of braking I might have gained with properly working ABS might have made the difference.

Pete300

Reaction score
Hello , at least now I know I'm not losing it. My 23 2500 hemi brake pedal is way soft. I only have 2700 miles on it, and definitely not happy with the pedal feel. If I pump the pedal once then the pedal firms up and stops great. I also dislike the parking lot feel. Already had a few close calls too. I think its something to do with the rear brake and or circuit. Usually rear brakes will dictate pedal height. My previous ram 2005 had a great pedal feel and stopping power. I just towed my boat and stopping with it is pretty hairy pedal is way too low for my liking.

pizzatots

Reaction score
I think it's just an issue of where the pads sit relative to the discs, since its great when ACC is active (it moves the pads closer to the discs to keep them "ready").

Users who are viewing this thread