Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frequent regens (~100 miles); no help from the dealer

548cidakota

Reaction score
I also had the P2459 code and check engine light on my 2023 3500 diesel. Ram dealer told me I dont drive it enough and any work would not be covered under warranty because it is my fault for only driving 10 miles each way to work. Told to take it on a long road trip.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I also had the P2459 code and check engine light on my 2023 3500 diesel. Ram dealer told me I dont drive it enough and any work would not be covered under warranty because it is my fault for only driving 10 miles each way to work. Told to take it on a long road trip.
Wow! I'd find another dealer. There are no instructions in the owner manual or anywhere else that tells you how to, or not to, drive your Ram
Was it some idiot service writer who said that? A discussion with the Service Manager would be in order.

548cidakota

Reaction score
Wow! I'd find another dealer. There are no instructions in the owner manual or anywhere else that tells you how to, or not to, drive your Ram
Was it some idiot service writer who said that? A discussion with the Service Manager would be in order.
It was the diesel shop at my Ram dealer who is a large dealership. Half of the dealership is dedicated to all diesel trucks up to the larger 5500 trucks and such. Sell them all over the country. The said warranty does not cover driving habits. Said the truck just needs to be driven on longer trips and to keep the RPM's above 2k. Plus they are more than a month out on service. Cant be without my truck that long. Only dealer for close to 60 miles. I am in the sticks.

John Jensen

Reaction score
It was the diesel shop at my Ram dealer who is a large dealership. Half of the dealership is dedicated to all diesel trucks up to the larger 5500 trucks and such. Sell them all over the country. The said warranty does not cover driving habits. Said the truck just needs to be driven on longer trips and to keep the RPM's above 2k. Plus they are more than a month out on service. Cant be without my truck that long. Only dealer for close to 60 miles. I am in the sticks.
"It was the diesel shop" doesn't answer who said it. Was it a person with authority was my point. Regardless, I could be wrong, but I believe they, nor anyone, can void your warranty for your driving habit. I don't read anything in the warranty that speaks to one's driving habit. Best to get it resolved now to avoid any future conflict. I suggest you contact Ram Warranty at 800-992-1997 and get clarification.

548cidakota

Reaction score
"It was the diesel shop" doesn't answer who said it. Was it a person with authority was my point. Regardless, I could be wrong, but I believe they, nor anyone, can void your warranty for your driving habit. I don't read anything in the warranty that speaks to one's driving habit. Best to get it resolved now to avoid any future conflict. I suggest you contact Ram Warranty at 800-992-1997 and get clarification.
It was the service advisor at the shop. They had almost 20 of them. I will call RAM. Guess I will just have to suck it up and get a rental for a few months since they are backed up more than a month before it would even be looked at.

John Jensen

Reaction score
It was the service advisor at the shop. They had almost 20 of them. I will call RAM. Guess I will just have to suck it up and get a rental for a few months since they are backed up more than a month before it would even be looked at.
Thought so, I don't accept anything a service advisor says. I'm currently dealing with one who's been there 20+ years and is the General Manager's "goto" guy. He makes things up to satisfy me and says things as facts that are not true. Has taken two trips, four days each and he still has it wrong. Going back a third time but now dealing with the GM and the diesel tech. Fortunately for me, the GM is my grandson-in-law, that helps a lot :D

You are dealing with a large dealership. Didn't know one existed with that many SAs. I'm in a big metro area and the largest dealers only have 4-6 on average. Dealership diesel service backups seem to be common these days. Even parts orders if not on B/O take 10-15 days.

Please let us know how your call to Ram Warranty goes. Good luck to you

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Tell them to eat a bag of dicks. That is absolutely absurd. Tell them your lawyer wants you to ask the Dealer General Manager if he is familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

John Jensen

Reaction score
Tell them to eat a bag of dicks. That is absolutely absurd. Tell them your lawyer wants you to ask the Dealer General Manager if he is familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act wouldn't help 548cidakota in this case. It's pretty easy for the dealer to prove that the short trips never allowed the truck to go into an active regen. The dealer isn't arguing the problem, he's saying the warranty won't cover the fix.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act wouldn't help 548cidakota in this case. It's pretty easy for the dealer to prove that the short trips never allowed the truck to go into an active regen. The dealer isn't arguing the problem, he's saying the warranty won't cover the fix.

I have to disagree. The smog components on these trucks (and all new cars in the US) is Federally mandated to be warrantied for 8 years or 80k miles. There is 0 stipulation on how you must drive the vehicle. Any decent lawyer would have a field day with this.

548cidakota

Reaction score
Yeah, its a pain in the ass for sure. I cleared the code last night and driving trying to get it regen. I will sometimes go from 0% to 40% in about 30 minutes on the DPF gauge while driving but never regen. I will wake up the next morning and crank the truck and it would show 0% again on the gauge with no regen. I have a 2023 Limited 3500 with the new digital dash, so a little different than my 2022 2500. Not sure if it will display it is going into a regen. My OBDlink MX+ shows me no active regens at all in the last week.

Shane

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Yeah, its a pain in the ass for sure. I cleared the code last night and driving trying to get it regen. I will sometimes go from 0% to 40% in about 30 minutes on the DPF gauge while driving but never regen. I will wake up the next morning and crank the truck and it would show 0% again on the gauge with no regen. I have a 2023 Limited 3500 with the new digital dash, so a little different than my 2022 2500. Not sure if it will display it is going into a regen. My OBDlink MX+ shows me no active regens at all in the last week.

Shane
I also have the OBDLink MX+. How are you seeing “no active regens in the last week”? All I’ve been able to find is the average miles or time between regens.

Thanks for the info.

Blackpowder

Reaction score
I also have the OBDLink MX+. How are you seeing “no active regens in the last week”? All I’ve been able to find is the average miles or time between regens.

Thanks for the info.
You can monitor this PID, which tells you the hours since last active regen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230917_121347.jpg
    Screenshot_20230917_121347.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 37

Blackpowder

Reaction score
My iDash does not show that PID. Only avg time between and avg distance between regens.
The average time and distance between regen PIDs are standard SAE PIDs. The last active regen PID is specific to Dodge/Ram. I downloaded the available Dodge/Ram manufacture specific PIDs that were available through OBDLink using the OBDLink App. Not sure how the iDash works, but I think it would be similar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230918_093106.jpg
    Screenshot_20230918_093106.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 10

Will_T

Reaction score
The average time and distance between regen PIDs are standard SAE PIDs. The last active regen PID is specific to Dodge/Ram. I downloaded the available Dodge/Ram manufacture specific PIDs that were available through OBDLink using the OBDLink App. Not sure how the iDash works, but I think it would be similar.
I think Banks decides what PIDs to include and that one is not on the list that I can see. This list provided by Banks can be seen in the PDF in the first post of the thread I started a while back on the PIDs for these trucks. https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/banks-idash-parameter-list.8036/

If you, (or anyone), can take a quick look at that list and see if you find it, I would be appreciative! I don't see it but there was another one that I could not find, and someone pointed it out as it had a different name assigned to it by Banks. Thanks!

Blackpowder

Reaction score
I think Banks decides what PIDs to include and that one is not on the list that I can see. This list provided by Banks can be seen in the PDF in the first post of the thread I started a while back on the PIDs for these trucks. https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/banks-idash-parameter-list.8036/

If you, (or anyone), can take a quick look at that list and see if you find it, I would be appreciative! I don't see it but there was another one that I could not find, and someone pointed it out as it had a different name assigned to it by Banks. Thanks!
You could try doing a search of the file using likely parameters like "regen", "time", etc. I did this in the OBDLink app to find PIDs related to what I was looking for. Many times the titles were not obvious. Sometimes there were multiple candidates. Then had to load a display and see if it worked.

Blackpowder

Reaction score

This might be it.
You could try doing a search of the file using likely parameters like "regen", "time", etc. I did this in the OBDLink app to find PIDs related to what I was looking for. Many times the titles were not obvious. Sometimes there were multiple candidates. Then had to load a display and see if it worked.
I searched the pdf and did not see any candidates :(

Users who are viewing this thread