Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frequent regens (~100 miles); no help from the dealer

resoverlord

Reaction score
Got the truck back yesterday. Been about 150 miles, no regen, gauge is only up to the first tic mark.

What changed:

* I put a new air filter in it
* deader changed the hoses to/from the delta pressure sensor in the DPF

The dealer says they smoke tested the hoses and one of them leaked.

I'll report back more if this didn't fix the issue, but this is the longest it's gone without a regen since the problem started.

resoverlord

Reaction score
Went 327 miles before regen in heavy stop/go (Atlanta) traffic. Much improved over 100 miles between regens on the highway.

Attached the parts for the hoses and the readout from the tech, if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_1057.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_1057.HEIC.jpeg
    864 KB · Views: 73

rsday75

Reaction score
Well,
Truck has been at the dealer all week.
I printed the above and took it.
Dealer still has no idea what is wrong.
They supposedly have opened a STAR case.
This is the 6th or 7th time I have had the truck in with this issue.
Truck has done 42 regens in the last 6,118 miles. So an average of 145 miles per regen. The shortest was 44 miles. between regens.
I am going to get the truck today as I need it to move a 15K trailer this weekend and I need it for work tomorrow. No way to bum a ride or borrow a vehicle.
@RamCares anything that can be done to get my truck fixed for sure the next time I drop it off?
Starting to get a bit frustrated. I have never had a new vehicle that has had to go to the dealer so many times with issues. I'm at 26K on the truck, and it has been to the dealer over 10 times for various issues.

resoverlord

Reaction score
Well,
Truck has done 42 regens in the last 6,118 miles. So an average of 145 miles per regen. The shortest was 44 miles. between regens.
I am going to get the truck today as I need it to move a 15K trailer this weekend and I need it for work tomorrow. No way to bum a ride or borrow a vehicle.
@RamCares anything that can be done to get my truck fixed for sure the next time I drop it off?
Starting to get a bit frustrated. I have never had a new vehicle that has had to go to the dealer so many times with issues. I'm at 26K on the truck, and it has been to the dealer over 10 times for various issues.
If it were me, I'd order the hoses and put a new air filter in it myself. Star doesn't seem to have a good handle on this issue.

Let us know how you fare.

rsday75

Reaction score
Truck has new air filter. Old one was correct Mopar with only 6K on it. Was replaced when this started.
Truck is under the 3/36. I'm not doing Ram's job for them. I want this documented in case issues arise later.
Ram needs to figure this out.
This. This right here is why people delete. Not for more power. They can't afford the downtime.

resoverlord

Reaction score
Truck has new air filter. Old one was correct Mopar with only 6K on it. Was replaced when this started.
Truck is under the 3/36. I'm not doing Ram's job for them. I want this documented in case issues arise later.
Ram needs to figure this out.
This. This right here is why people delete. Not for more power. They can't afford the downtime.
100% agree with you.

I hope your outcome is positive; it got to the point with me, where I said screw it, put the hoses on, I'll pay for it. My truck was in the shop 7 weeks.

rsday75

Reaction score
Yeah, when they told me they had a STAR case but were not sure when the next steps would be given to them to try, I told them I was coming for the truck.
I gotta work.
I told them when they had an action plan & next steps I would bring it back in. I can't have it sitting there with the dealer doing nothing. I need the damn truck.

resoverlord

Reaction score
Yeah, when they told me they had a STAR case but were not sure when the next steps would be given to them to try, I told them I was coming for the truck.
I gotta work.
I told them when they had an action plan & next steps I would bring it back in. I can't have it sitting there with the dealer doing nothing. I need the damn truck.
Don't be surprised if all you hear back is "they all do that" and "no check engine light, no problem"

rsday75

Reaction score
Ha, nope, they (dealer, tech, & Ram Customer Service) all agree this isn't normal.
My closest dealer had the diesel tech move. I had to take the truck to a different dealer that had a diesel tech. This was last year.
That dealer had me wast a day of work to get the truck there. Kept it all day to do absolutely nothing. They called me that afternoon and said no CEL, we can't even look at it under warranty as Ram will not pay for diagnostic time. They offered to look at it under warranty for $150 an hour on my dime.......Yes, they knew there was no CEL when I made the appointment and nothing was mentioned. I did have a CEL for frequent regen. My local dealer cleared that and flashed the ECM.
That prompted a call to Ram Customer Service where Ram simply said to try another dealer and they can't force the dealer to look at my vehicle.

Next dealer is 2 hours one way away. So, I waited 3 months with the truck doing regens every 100 miles or less for my closest dealer to hire a new diesel tech.

IF RAM WANTS TO TAKE MARKET SHARE FROM FORD AND GM, THEY DAMN BETTER WORK ON THEIR DEALER EXPERIENCE.

This is likely my first and last Ram just from dealer experience alone.
My Ford dealer was a pleasure to work with, and bent over backwards to make folks happy on the service side. If I could have found a F350 equipped like I wanted, I would have looked hard at another Ford.
But, everyone said Ram had made great strides in quality & offered a fair deal, so I thought I would give it a go. Here we are.

I like the truck, and need a truck capable of towing 15-18K pretty regularly.
I guess in the fall I may have to look at trading. I know I will hate the busy engine towing, but I am taking a hard look at the new Ford 7.3 gasser with 4.30 gears. The EPA/Left/Dems/Whoever have won. Emissions have killed modern diesel reliability.
I have driven a diesel truck since 2000. Had several. Never a "modern" one with all the emissions. Trucks from GM & Ford were generally reliable, but were all getting high miles for long pulls with weight. Thought I would treat myself to the first "new" vehicle since 2003.....This truck has been to the dealer several times for leaking cab lights, leaking 3rd brake light, leaking sunroof, surging at low rpm (and has started doing this again), service trailer brake, TPMS, blind spot and every other dash light, service rear air suspension immediately, service DEF system. and now regens between 44 & 100 miles like clockwork. Maybe it is time the truck is traded......IDK. I want to like this truck, but this is the first vehicle I bought a code reader for as the CEL comes on so often, I needed to know if it is ok to keep driving or if I need to stop with a 15K 40' trailer behind me.

Long rant, but is what it is.

Firebird

Reaction score

I have had great success with this

Will_T

Reaction score
IF RAM WANTS TO TAKE MARKET SHARE FROM FORD AND GM, THEY DAMN BETTER WORK ON THEIR DEALER EXPERIENCE.

This is likely my first and last Ram just from dealer experience alone.
I agree 100% with this. When I researched trucks to replace my 21 year old Ford, I mistakenly did not consider service after the sale of our local Ram dealer. I have seen people say they are happy with their dealer service, but most are like your experience. Our local dealer service is not good and they are a franchise and also own the next 2 or 3 closest dealerships. So to get to someone else, Ram owners here have to travel 3+ hours minimum and even those dealers have bad reviews. Ram does not seem to support their dealers and warranty service at all. Our local GMC dealer is great for warranty and service. I really did not want a GMC but now realize that may have been a bad decision.

Fortunately so far my only warranty item has been a leaking shock. But our dealer is not interested at all in even looking at it. I did get an appointment for them to "inspect" it but that is for 2-1/2 months out. Then if they determine they will cover it under warranty it will supposedly be another long wait as they told me even if the shock is in stock, another appointment will be required for replacement. I called two other dealers and could not even get them to return my call. At one service dept, I left a voicemail and two live person messages over two weeks. That was last month and neither has called me back. I have called them both a few more times, but just either get voicemail or someone who will "take and message and have service get back to you". What a pathetic dealer service Ram provides owners!

I did try to get all four shocks replaced on my own dime just to avoid the frustration, but every tire place I called was backordered on the Bilstein rear shocks so not making appointments. What a wonderful time it is to be a consumer. I know, "1st world problems". But we do supposedly live in a 1st word country don't we?

Deltron

Reaction score
I did try to get all four shocks replaced on my own dime just to avoid the frustration, but every tire place I called was backordered on the Bilstein rear shocks so not making appointments. What a wonderful time it is to be a consumer. I know, "1st world problems". But we do supposedly live in a 1st word country don't we?
Be thankful you don't need powersports parts for dirt bikes and such. I'm waiting on parts ordered last July.

Will_T

Reaction score
Be thankful you don't need powersports parts for dirt bikes and such. I'm waiting on parts ordered last July.
I know. It is crazy times and has been for a couple of years now. At least with supply chain issues, you can sort of cut the local shops a break. But the horrible warranty customer service that so many dealers have is not excusable.

Deltron

Reaction score
I know. It is crazy times and has been for a couple of years now. At least with supply chain issues, you can sort of cut the local shops a break. But the horrible warranty customer service that so many dealers have is not excusable.
While true, I've had service mangers tell me the manufacturers are giving them a hard time on warranty. We quit buying Ford diesels because of this. Invariably we had a fight on our hands when they ALWAYS said it was something we did starting with the absolutely terrible 6.0. It made little difference which dealer it was, they'd say Ford denied. One of the reasons, wrong oil. Well, the dealer did the oil changes with the correct oil listed.

Now with parts shortages too it puts some dealers in a terrible spot. Also new cars are becoming so extraordinarily complex with everything driven by computers and complex wiring the mechanics themselves are getting overwhelmed.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Well,
Greetings,
We’re very sorry to hear that. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide assistance. Follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Ram Cares

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Went 327 miles before regen in heavy stop/go (Atlanta) traffic. Much improved over 100 miles between regens on the highway.

Attached the parts for the hoses and the readout from the tech, if anyone is interested.
My 2022 has been doing a regen every 80-156 miles no matter what driving I do and the dealer has no clue without a CEL showing. Thanks for the idea of the hoses, Differential Pressure Hoses 68376348AB upstream and 68376349AC downstream so I ordered them and I will install them and see what happens. I can't afford this thing burning diesel at this rate and cost with the morons that increased diesel fuel cost to over double what is was a few short years ago.

When I moved to Wisconsin in June 2020 Diesel was $1.74 at the Quick Trip and out here in Washington it's been $6.25-$6.50 since I moved in July 2022.

Scvette

Reaction score
Is there a way to look and see how many regens a truck has done. On my 22 I’ve never seen it go into regen although I’m sure it has. I’d like to be able to see how many times if possible.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Is there a way to look and see how many regens a truck has done. On my 22 I’ve never seen it go into regen although I’m sure it has. I’d like to be able to see how many times if possible.
I have AlfaOBD software and use an Edge CTS3, I've never seen or heard of the ability to know how many regens.

Firebird

Reaction score
I reinstalled my stock airbox, and put a brand new air filter in today, will see how that does. My dealer appointment isn't until 10/4/23, so it will be interesting to see if anything changes between now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread