Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folks that leave truck running while refueling (RANT WARNING)

RV_Goose

Reaction score
NFPA 30A - Code for Motor Fuel Dispensing Facilities and Repair Garages. Para 9.2.5.1 - Sources of Ignition - The motors of all equipment being fueled shall be shut off during the fueling operation except for emergency generators, pumps, and so forth, where continuing operation is essential. It's a "code" that is enforceable by an "authority having jurisdiction". Lots of people don't pay it any mind though, because it most likely won't be enforced.

I know the the sticker on pumps specifically stated gas engines, but that was a long time ago.

Fwiw - I have a diesel engine. ;) :)

Xflight29

Reaction score
This is why transfer-tanks mounted in the back of trucks are allowed by DOT for Diesel fuel only, and Not GAS.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I don't ever leave mine running just out of habit unless it's super hot or super cold and my wife is with me. That said , it's kind of like or aux fuel tanks that we can put in the bed of our trucks for additional capacity. Yes the higher price ones are safe for gas, but most of ours say not safe for gas, because the flash point is so high. When i contacted the company, they said diesel is no problem because the flash point is so much lower than gas and the likeness of a spark are allot less. I know I'm safe to do so an leave it running, but i turn it off out of habit and courtesy to not get the looks :eek: .

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
This is why transfer-tanks mounted in the back of trucks are allowed by DOT for Diesel fuel only, and Not GAS.
Say what? You might want to re-read that dot reg...

Xflight29

Reaction score
Correct me if i am wrong, DOT only allows 8 gallons of gas before you must apply for a Hazmat placard. with diesel you don't need a hazmat card . so I stand corrected, you can get a card allowing gas to be transferred with over 8 gallons.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Found this pertain ing to conversation

Attachments

• nrcs144p2_043004.pdf
    18.4 KB · Views: 12

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
“Each person who offers for transportation or transports any hazardous ma-
terial subject to this subchapter shall comply with the applicable placarding
requirements of this subpart. This subpart does not apply to… Combustible
liquids in non-bulk packagings.”
49 CFR 172.500
“Limited quantities of... combustible liquids are excepted from labeling
requirements… The requirements in this subchapter do not apply to a
material classed as a combustible liquid in a non-bulk packaging...”
49 CFR 173.150
Non-bulk packaging is defined as “any packaging which has a maximum capacity of
450 L (119 gallons) or less as a receptacle for a liquid.” 49 CFR 171.8
You can transport up to 440 lbs of gasoline in containers of less than 8 gallons (30L)....the number we use is 35 lbs per 5 gallon container. For amounts exceeding 119 gallons you will need a commercial DL.

It falls under the "Materials of Trade Exception", 49 CFR 173.6

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Seams like we all have some junk mail laying around in the archives somewhere that will eventually mean something to someone someday

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Some people do it for the same reason they drive around with their tow mirrors flipped out, or Harley riders who grab handfuls of throttle for no reason. They are seeking attention.

Take it from a commercial truck driver / owner operator, there is no need to fuel your truck up with it running unless it is extreme heat or extreme cold. It annoys everyone else at the pumps and makes you look like a dick. Not everyone appreciates the sound of your Cummins clattering away at idle, in fact many appreciate a little peace and quiet and despise the unnecessary racket. Try to be considerate.
Let’s see now......if I needed an excuse, which I do not(my truck), I sometimes leave my mirrors in tow Mode, for the simple fact that my ram doesn’t have power extending mirrors. I prefer the normal setting but stowing is last on my list of priorities to appease other people’s taste. On the Harley note, some blip the throttle to be heard, as there are people who seem to be blind to two wheels. As far as idling trucks, call 1-800-IAW-HINER. Maybe you need to read the serenity prayer to help you get through these trying times. Lighten up, there are far more important things to be concerned about, these days.

Camstyn

Reaction score
Let’s see now......if I needed an excuse, which I do not(my truck), I sometimes leave my mirrors in tow Mode, for the simple fact that my ram doesn’t have power extending mirrors. I prefer the normal setting but stowing is last on my list of priorities to appease other people’s taste. On the Harley note, some blip the throttle to be heard, as there are people who seem to be blind to two wheels. As far as idling trucks, call 1-800-IAW-HINER. Maybe you need to read the serenity prayer to help you get through these trying times. Lighten up, there are far more important things to be concerned about, these days.

Tow mirrors out, fueling up with the truck running, blipping your Harley throttle, white Oakleys and rolling coal. It all goes hand in hand. I don’t need to lighten up, I get a good laugh out of it all.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Tow mirrors out, fueling up with the truck running, blipping your Harley throttle, white Oakleys and rolling coal. It all goes hand in hand. I don’t need to lighten up, I get a good laugh out of it all.

This is the most accurate description of a "bro-dozer" I've ever read.

eng23ine

Reaction score
During a vehicle fire investigation class several years ago we used Round-up type sprayers to spray different vehicle fluids onto an engine/transmission that was fitted to a trailer.
Gasoline would just sizzle and vaporize without igniting even when sprayed directly on a red hot catalytic converter.

ATF on the other hand would burn violently.

(we even ran gasoline through a coffee maker and couldn't get it to ignite)

99.9% of fuel station fires are thought to be caused by static sparks, not by the vehicle itself.

davis2

Reaction score
During a vehicle fire investigation class several years ago we used Round-up type sprayers to spray different vehicle fluids onto an engine/transmission that was fitted to a trailer.
Gasoline would just sizzle and vaporize without igniting even when sprayed directly on a red hot catalytic converter.

ATF on the other hand would burn violently.

(we even ran gasoline through a coffee maker and couldn't get it to ignite)

99.9% of fuel station fires are thought to be caused by static sparks, not by the vehicle itself.
Still one of the scariest things to hear when they set your tones!

Users who are viewing this thread