Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folks that leave truck running while refueling (RANT WARNING)

oaklandopen

Reaction score
If they want to try to make nice with my dog, more power to them

And my trunk monkey has a CCW

But seriously idk how there aren't more cars stolen around me with how many ppl pull up to wawa, leave their car running, and go in for coffee.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
And my trunk monkey has a CCW

But seriously idk how there aren't more cars stolen around me with how many ppl pull up to wawa, leave their car running, and go in for coffee.
Agreed. My work truck has its own security system......manual transmission.LOL! Same monkey in these parts, as well.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I always leave my truck running if i am towing you need to let the turbo and exhaust manifold cool down it says it right in the manual plus its common knowledge.... suck it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
i high idled the truck today sitting in the home depot parking lot while someone else ran in to pick up an item. it's hot today and the a/c felt great.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Yep. All sorts of reasons to keep the truck running. Personally, it's not about the risk to everyone else. It's about the risk to my truck. Having personally seen gas vapor go up with a running vehicle and burn the guy at the pump, the vehicle, the pump itself, and the awning overhead, I have no problem shutting it off. Used to be the only thing you needed to worry about besides static electricity and cigarettes was fumes reaching the engine compartment and possible sparks in there, especially with eroded plug wires. Yes, there are well-documented cases of all of these causing such explosions and fires. Then along came the electronics. Cell phones have ignited gas fumes at pumps. And so have other electronic devices: CBs, stereos, etc. And they keep jamming more electronics into these things nowadays. I shut mine down because it's my truck. Want to keep it that way. (gas - Hemi)

The numbers of actual events are small. It's unusual to even be an observer. It's kind of like the dog that steps on the gun and kills its master - pretty rare. I still keep my gun safety on until I want to fire.

carlrx7

Reaction score
Lol, some of these replies got me rolling. Good thing I haven't lost any sleep. I guess i'll just chime in with some additional information from our owner's manual as well.

Fueling.PNG

#stirthepot

Keep the excuses coming to validate "Your trucks" needs. =P

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I left my tuned 3500 idling as I fueled tonight, luckily, I escaped with no incident!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, some of these replies got me rolling. Good thing I haven't lost any sleep. I guess i'll just chime in with some additional information from our owner's manual as well.

View attachment 4894

#stirthepot

NEVER have I set a MIL/CEL fueling a running diesel. More lawyer crap.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep. All sorts of reasons to keep the truck running. Personally, it's not about the risk to everyone else. It's about the risk to my truck. Having personally seen gas vapor go up with a running vehicle and burn the guy at the pump, the vehicle, the pump itself, and the awning overhead, I have no problem shutting it off. Used to be the only thing you needed to worry about besides static electricity and cigarettes was fumes reaching the engine compartment and possible sparks in there, especially with eroded plug wires. Yes, there are well-documented cases of all of these causing such explosions and fires. Then along came the electronics. Cell phones have ignited gas fumes at pumps. And so have other electronic devices: CBs, stereos, etc. And they keep jamming more electronics into these things nowadays. I shut mine down because it's my truck. Want to keep it that way. (gas - Hemi)

The numbers of actual events are small. It's unusual to even be an observer. It's kind of like the dog that steps on the gun and kills its master - pretty rare. I still keep my gun safety on until I want to fire.

That is false. Static electricity or a spark is what ignites gasoline vapors. Not cell phones. Just another urban legend. There is always a potential for gasoline vapors to ignite from many sources, but cell phones are not one of them.

It's really simple. Gas = shut it down. Diesel = dealers choice.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score

View attachment 4894

#stirthepot

Regurgitated content from the gas engine OMs and not applicable to the diesels. The gasoline EVAP system can burp/fart if ur fuelling with the engine running.

woody284

Reaction score
I have owned diesels and gas burners. I’ve let both of them run at the pumps for various reasons over the years and I’ve shut both down at the pump. But the the “ my truck” “ my money” etc arguments about make my head explode. I’m not starting an argument or will I argue about it. Just my opinion. Some may actually let the truck cool down or the turbo every time they drive the truck but as busy as 90 percent of us are, I think it would be fair to say those same ones making the argument of letting the truck cool down do not follow those OM guidelines every time they shut the truck off. I work in Law Enforcement. There are a lot of laws or city ordinances that I have to enforce at times that are silly. The thing is they are there for someone’s safety or convenience. You say it’s a diesel and not a concern but may be for a gas engine. Unless your at a diesel pump station at a truck stop around my town the person on the other side of your pump is probably a gas engine. They probably have no clue about the lower temp properties of diesel fuel. What if they keep their old car running? That person doesn’t care because it’s their car, their money yet the possibility exist it may endanger you. It’s a blanket rule like most rules to turn the engine off when refueling. Lawyer crap or not, it is in the owners manual or law. If the freak thing happens and they determine your truck was running. I promised your insurance OR the person who files lawsuit of injury against you will use your OM or said rule against you and win. The civil suit lawyers are brutal and you don’t want to lose money or lively hood over the my truck my money arguments. Just my thoughts. Just like my first statement. I’ve done both at times.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I tried searching this topic regarding the safety risks with leaving a diesel running while filling up; not finding much that discourages it other than for environmental reasons. Gas-wise, there's a little more out there about the dangers from static electricity. My take is I'm not going to get all COVID19 panicky about leaving my engine running, especially if I'm staying at the pump and not going into the station/store for something.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I have owned diesels and gas burners. I’ve let both of them run at the pumps for various reasons over the years and I’ve shut both down at the pump. But the the “ my truck” “ my money” etc arguments about make my head explode. I’m not starting an argument or will I argue about it. Just my opinion. Some may actually let the truck cool down or the turbo every time they drive the truck but as busy as 90 percent of us are, I think it would be fair to say those same ones making the argument of letting the truck cool down do not follow those OM guidelines every time they shut the truck off. I work in Law Enforcement. There are a lot of laws or city ordinances that I have to enforce at times that are silly. The thing is they are there for someone’s safety or convenience. You say it’s a diesel and not a concern but may be for a gas engine. Unless your at a diesel pump station at a truck stop around my town the person on the other side of your pump is probably a gas engine. They probably have no clue about the lower temp properties of diesel fuel. What if they keep their old car running? That person doesn’t care because it’s their car, their money yet the possibility exist it may endanger you. It’s a blanket rule like most rules to turn the engine off when refueling. Lawyer crap or not, it is in the owners manual or law. If the freak thing happens and they determine your truck was running. I promised your insurance OR the person who files lawsuit of injury against you will use your OM or said rule against you and win. The civil suit lawyers are brutal and you don’t want to lose money or lively hood over the my truck my money arguments. Just my thoughts. Just like my first statement. I’ve done both at times.
Still my choice.

Distillusion

Reaction score
That is false. Static electricity or a spark is what ignites gasoline vapors. Not cell phones. Just another urban legend. There is always a potential for gasoline vapors to ignite from many sources, but cell phones are not one of them.

It's really simple. Gas = shut it down. Diesel = dealers choice.
I stand corrected. The incident that I had seen said that a spark jumped from the cell phone to the vehicle. So it was likely static discharge from the human, though the metal cell phone case.

Users who are viewing this thread