Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folks that leave truck running while refueling (RANT WARNING)

carlrx7

Reaction score
Why you do this? Owners manual states to not do this as well as most likely illegal in most states. Just want to know why? Is your starter a POS? Do you have a dead battery? Do you love the sound and exhaust smell so much you want to share? Every time i'm at the pumps... Come'on MANNN!! Shut it off!

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Sometimes it depends on how you were driving it. It’s nice to let a truck get back down to cool to operating temps if it’s hot.
Most of the time I’ll shut her down when I’m just driving it but if I’m pulling a trailer and working the truck a little I’ll let her idle to not let it cool off too rapidly.

At the end of the day it depends but idling isn’t great for the truck anyway so there is that

Oooh and if it’s summer here in the SW and 105 outside with the family. I’ll let her file to keep the AC on and keep em comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Unlike gasoline, it's generally not required, nor is it a safety issue when refueling DIESEL engines. Illegal in most states (diesel)? Hardly.

When traveling, I like to leave mine running to allow the turbo to cool down before shutting down. Often, we stop for fuel, then grab a bite or take a break.

In the end, it's MY TRUCK. I make the payments. What I do with it is my business.

Last edited:

Distillusion

Reaction score
Not worried about diesel. But gasoline.... I saw a truck catch fire once, running at the gas pump. Fumes got somewhere and ignited. I was standing a couple of pumps away. Got out of there fast!

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Why you do this? Owners manual states to not do this as well as most likely illegal in most states. Just want to know why? Is your starter a POS? Do you have a dead battery? Do you love the sound and exhaust smell so much you want to share? Every time i'm at the pumps... Come'on MANNN!! Shut it off!
If I had to really think about it, I don’t think I have ever shut a vehicle off when refueling. Just habit, I suppose. Not something I think about because there’s no greater danger of leaving it running than stopping and starting it.
I guess the better question is- why let it bother you? What is your scientific reasoning for being against it.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
If it's 95 - 100 degrees in the GA heat and humidity and I've got the wife and dogs in the vehicle I'll let it run with the AC on. I always discharge static electricity before opening the cap whether the vehicle is running or not. Of course, I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree. Back on the farm in the early '60s my uncle and I used to stand on either side of the tractor on the frame rails and pour gas out of a 15 gallon milk can into a running Minneapolis-Moline tractor with a bad starter.......while he was smoking a non-filter Camel .

Last edited:
U

User_1648

NFPA 30A - Code for Motor Fuel Dispensing Facilities and Repair Garages. Para 9.2.5.1 - Sources of Ignition - The motors of all equipment being fueled shall be shut off during the fueling operation except for emergency generators, pumps, and so forth, where continuing operation is essential. It's a "code" that is enforceable by an "authority having jurisdiction". Lots of people don't pay it any mind though, because it most likely won't be enforced.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
NFPA 30A - Code for Motor Fuel Dispensing Facilities and Repair Garages. Para 9.2.5.1 - Sources of Ignition - The motors of all equipment being fueled shall be shut off during the fueling operation except for emergency generators, pumps, and so forth, where continuing operation is essential. It's a "code" that is enforceable by an "authority having jurisdiction". Lots of people don't pay it any mind though, because it most likely won't be enforced.
Correct. So, I suppose the properties of fuel automatically know that they are to cease to exist when a running emergency vehicle/generator, etc are present, or upon restarting the vehicle...

D

Deleted member 80

If it's 95 - 100 degrees in the GA heat and humidity and I've got the wife and dogs in the vehicle I'll let it run with the AC on. I always discharge static electricity before opening the cap whether the vehicle is running or not. Of course, I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree. Back on the farm in the early '60s my uncle and I used to stand on either side of the tractor on the frame rails and pour gas out of a 15 gallon milk can into a running Minneapolis-Moline tractor with a bad starter.......while he was smoking a non-filter Camel .
Was it a Minni-Mo before or after White took over? They had some interesting tractors.

Sarge33Army

Reaction score
Odds are that nothing will happen if the vehicle is left running. However, I spent 12 years of my life in the propane gas business following NFPA guidelines to the letter. When customers would complain about a rule, I'd tell them, "the odds are that nothing will happen, but at least one (probably many) person/people died for each of the safety rules/regulations. I won't place you or your family in danger for convenience or to save a buck." I'd then ask if they wanted me to do the job right (safely) or if they wanted to find another company. [I never had one person turn me away.]

I still won't willingly place my family or others in danger (no matter how small a chance). Will you?

Zeroday

Reaction score
I've heard (read) that modern gas engine systems can run with a pressurized fuel system and there's a chance you can throw a CEL if you leave the car running while filling. My '66 A-100 I'll always leave running while filling because you're rolling the dice on whether or not it'll ever start up again.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
I agree. Turn off your car, return your shopping cart, don't smoke within 20ft of a doorway, use your turn signals, etc

Btw, gotta love the ones that leave their cars running (not whilst fueling) and run into the convenience store. May as well buy a convertible and always leave your purse on the front seat

Haas14

Reaction score
Refuelling a running truck is common place where I live in the winter (Northwest Territories). When it’s -40 without windchill it doesn’t take long for the truck to cool down both inside and out, let alone get up to temp at all. Before moving here I never would have left a vehicle running though.

wowens79

Reaction score
Diesel I don’t see a problem. Gas is different. Had a guy fueling up an f150 next to me the other day, it just bothered me. I may be overly sensitive to it, growing Up around boats my dad was always reminding me the importance of checking for gas fumes in the engine compartment.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I agree. Turn off your car, return your shopping cart, don't smoke within 20ft of a doorway, use your turn signals, etc

Btw, gotta love the ones that leave their cars running (not whilst fueling) and run into the convenience store. May as well buy a convertible and always leave your purse on the front seat
If they want to try to make nice with my dog, more power to them

Users who are viewing this thread