Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folks that leave truck running while refueling (RANT WARNING)

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
IMHO there is only one person that really knows the correct answer to this. @Rich What say you!?
You got to be talking out yer @$$ , it's getting deep, time to put on my mucking boots. I do have any OPINION, with out any factual basis. I was raised back in the good old days where this wasnt even a question, you just cut it off for fear of blowing up. But lots has changed and were allot more informed now on science based facts. Gas is definitely way more explosive than fuel. You don't hear of many fuel explosions at the pump. That being said, I'm a creature of habit and if something bad can happen, it will come my way and hunt me down. So I just leave mine off out of habit, and I 100% always touch metal on the truck before I grab fuel handle when finished and when ever I get a static shock, I have to wonder, would I have blown up. So with that I don't temp a slim chance possibility of becoming the burning man. I'm kind of superstitious like that, o_O:eek::mad:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
When I was a kid, many many moons ago, the cars were carburated and poorly tuned and prone to backfire, also the old non vapor recovery systems allowed more fumes. Now with fuel injection and fume recovery filling hoses, or blocks in other States, its not necessary, but the old laws are still on the books. I don't fill my 2019 with it running, for fear of air getting to the CP4.2, due to the scare of it scrambling. But if its 115* and wife and dog is in the truck, I'll let it idle while filling. Gee what if your neighbor starts his car on the other side of pump while your filling your gasoline burning car? Their engine is closer to your filling neck, than your engine is. Its an antiquated law, shift happens though, then you cross the street and get hit by a bus. :eek:

lovegolf44

Reaction score
When I was a kid, many many moons ago, the cars were carburated and poorly tuned and prone to backfire, also the old non vapor recovery systems allowed more fumes. Now with fuel injection and fume recovery filling hoses, or blocks in other States, its not necessary, but the old laws are still on the books. I don't fill my 2019 with it running, for fear of air getting to the CP4.2, due to the scare of it scrambling. But if its 115* and wife and dog is in the truck, I'll let it idle while filling. Gee what if your neighbor starts his car on the other side of pump while your filling your gasoline burning car? Their engine is closer to your filling neck, than your engine is. Its an antiquated law, shift happens though, then you cross the street and get hit by a bus. :eek:
Fires ignited from cell phones appears to be a hoax, at least from what the FCC has found so this is a pretty much a dead issue. This is from 2015:

As far as a static charge from a person setting off gas vapors, it apparently is much more plausible if you start pumping your gas and then get back into the car, then out again when the pump starts. This increases the chances of generating a static charge on your body and igniting vapors when you touch the nozzle, etc. Diesel is less likely to ignite according to what I read. Yes, the potential for static charge ignition but in my mind, it's very infrequent and hardly a reason to not leave the engine running in extreme cold/hot conditions so the temp in your car/truck stays nice. I live in FL and I couldn't find one article about a gas fire from static charge. All the pump fires were from dumb-asses smoking or driving into pumps. My $.02.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Long Long ago I worked at a smallish sawmill and the night shift got it on fire. There was a 500 gal overhead steel diesel tank feeding a couple power units and the mill burned down around it and the fire burned the rubber hose up to the tank. Guess what... no Hollywood explosions.:oops: Diesel is very stable! Now if that tank would have been gasoline I would have ran like a 100m sprinter .

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Long Long ago I worked at a smallish sawmill and the night shift got it on fire. There was a 500 gal overhead steel diesel tank feeding a couple power units and the mill burned down around it and the fire burned the rubber hose up to the tank. Guess what... no Hollywood explosions.:oops: Diesel is very stable! Now if that tank would have been gasoline I would have ran like a 100m sprinter .
I also worked at a saw mill decades ago when we didnt care about the environment. They would Intentionally set the saw dust pile on fire with diesel fuel. No flames ever or big boom, just lots of smoldering

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Fires ignited from cell phones appears to be a hoax, at least from what the FCC has found so this is a pretty much a dead issue. This is from 2015:

As far as a static charge from a person setting off gas vapors, it apparently is much more plausible if you start pumping your gas and then get back into the car, then out again when the pump starts. This increases the chances of generating a static charge on your body and igniting vapors when you touch the nozzle, etc. Diesel is less likely to ignite according to what I read. Yes, the potential for static charge ignition but in my mind, it's very infrequent and hardly a reason to not leave the engine running in extreme cold/hot conditions so the temp in your car/truck stays nice. I live in FL and I couldn't find one article about a gas fire from static charge. All the pump fires were from dumb-asses smoking or driving into pumps. My $.02.
I'm not advocating either way as proper procedure to what is the correct way to fuel. I can only speak of my own experiences. I currently open the door and grab the phone or talk to the wife, yes I know this is a huge no no. I also feel that more than likely the younger crowd who can't keep there devices out of there hands probably do the same thing, it's the environment in wich we live, right or wrong. Now like I've stated, I turn mine off out of a degree of fear. Static shock at the pump is not rare for me personally, its pretty common for me and yes it freaks me out when I get a shock at the fuel isle. Knowing all this for my situation, I play it safe and pardon the pun but don't play with fire. I understand that not everyone is as electric as I am. ;) lol

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score

What exactly are you calling a hoax about cell phone devices or there of the like catching on fire and starting other things on fire. I've heard some conspiracy theories, but this opinion I must hear, respectfully of coarse.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I'm not advocating either way as proper procedure to what is the correct way to fuel. I can only speak of my own experiences. I currently open the door and grab the phone or talk to the wife, yes I know this is a huge no no. I also feel that more than likely the younger crowd who can't keep there devices out of there hands probably do the same thing, it's the environment in wich we live, right or wrong. Now like I've stated, I turn mine off out of a degree of fear. Static shock at the pump is not rare for me personally, its pretty common for me and yes it freaks me out when I get a shock at the fuel isle. Knowing all this for my situation, I play it safe and pardon the pun but don't play with fire. I understand that not everyone is as electric as I am. ;) lol
Like I said above, my $02. If and when the data shows otherwise, I'll change my ways.

gjwolfe

Reaction score
JP-4 (Military turbine aircraft fuel used up until 1995) had a similar flash point to diesel. They pumped it from KC-135's into a wide array of aircraft whose engines were not only running, but both the "pump" and the "tank" were 10,000+ feet above Vietnam moving at close to 200 mph....oh, and they were transferring hundreds, if not a thousand gallons of fuel. Gonna go out on a limb and say pumping 20 gallons of diesel fuel into your running truck at Circle K while standing still on the ground really isn't THAT big of a deal. Personally, I shut down as its my habit...but I couldn't give much of a care what "David Diesel" in the next stall over's preference is.

carlrx7

Reaction score
JP-4 (Military turbine aircraft fuel used up until 1995) had a similar flash point to diesel. They pumped it from KC-135's into a wide array of aircraft whose engines were not only running, but both the "pump" and the "tank" were 10,000+ feet above Vietnam moving at close to 200 mph....oh, and they were transferring hundreds, if not a thousand gallons of fuel. Gonna go out on a limb and say pumping 20 gallons of diesel fuel into your running truck at Circle K while standing still on the ground really isn't THAT big of a deal. Personally, I shut down as its my habit...but I couldn't give much of a care what "David Diesel" in the next stall over's preference is.

Good points, All of which are listed in the flight manual as an engineered capability of the aircraft.

Last edited:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Reflecting on this subject, I was idling in the gas line at a gas station in Las Vegas at 116*, with three cars deep waiting for the pumps. All four islands were packed and all eight lines had idling vehicles with their engines running not less than four feet from the persons filling their cars. So you tell me that if I go to fill my car with gasoline, while idling my engine is going to explode, then any vehicle sitting keeping cool when its 116*, with thier engine not more than four feet from my vehicle, then they have to shut down thier engines as well.

Camstyn

Reaction score
Some people do it for the same reason they drive around with their tow mirrors flipped out, or Harley riders who grab handfuls of throttle for no reason. They are seeking attention.

Take it from a commercial truck driver / owner operator, there is no need to fuel your truck up with it running unless it is extreme heat or extreme cold. It annoys everyone else at the pumps and makes you look like a dick. Not everyone appreciates the sound of your Cummins clattering away at idle, in fact many appreciate a little peace and quiet and despise the unnecessary racket. Try to be considerate.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Some people do it for the same reason they drive around with their tow mirrors flipped out, or Harley riders who grab handfuls of throttle for no reason. They are seeking attention.

Take it from a commercial truck driver / owner operator, there is no need to fuel your truck up with it running unless it is extreme heat or extreme cold. It annoys everyone else at the pumps and makes you look like a dick. Not everyone appreciates the sound of your Cummins clattering away at idle, in fact many appreciate a little peace and quiet and despise the unnecessary racket. Try to be considerate.
10/4 fellow driver

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score

I'm going to have to at least partially disagree with you on the mirrors. I leave mine flipped because I struggle going back and forth, so keeping them in tow mode allows me to navigate in what I feel is a safer manner. You could very well be right that there are some who think this will get them attention, but it ain't all of us.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I'm going to have to at least partially disagree with you on the mirrors. I leave mine flipped because I struggle going back and forth, so keeping them in tow mode allows me to navigate in what I feel is a safer manner. You could very well be right that there are some who think this will get them attention, but it ain't all of us.

When I put the aftermarket toe mirrors on my 2500, they would not adjust properly when in the down position. Now with my 3500, I had a hard time when the truck was new we the the mirrors in the down position. but I have a dually, so the mirrors are not much wider than my rear wheels.

RV_Goose

Reaction score

Glad I annoy you because I made a different choice than you.

If I am fueling up near my house, having just started the truck 5 miles, maybe 10 minutes down the road, I may not shut it off. Especially if the cab temp is not where I want it (hot or cold).

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score

I have yet to checkout ant library books at the cardlock :p

Users who are viewing this thread