Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fender Flares?

Cowboyup1494

Reaction score
Did you have to do any mods? How do they attach; double sided tape or bolts? And you had to remove the lower black trim piece correct?
Thank you!

yes I had to remove the lower black trim. My plan was to trim it to accommodate the flare but too cold here in upstate ny right now to do without heated garage.

flares attach with 3m tape (already provided on the oem flare) and screws which were already in place. They hold wheel well plastic in place. Not sure if all trims have those (my 17 Ford didn’t have them on xlt) but this big horn came with them.My flares also came with one plastic push pin already installed in the top hole of the arch which made install a bit easier not having to hold the flare up.

all in all pretty easy after removing trim pieces.

Cowboyup1494

Reaction score
Trivial stuff: the black trim pieces are AKA wheel spats. They started showing up on the trucks in various forms about 10 yrs ago.

I’m definitely a fan of the extra protection and the look. I was kind of surprised they didn’t include it for the length of the cab. Just behind from wheels, length of the box and behind rear wheels. Almost looks like they just forgot it or something

Squatch

Reaction score
I put the bushwacker extend-a-fender flares on my 2006, they are making them now for the 19s. Bushwacker 50931-02 extend-a-fender. I think I’ll color match them again. I’m hoping paintedfenderflares.com will carry them. C1BF4717-624C-4433-B6A3-03C0ACF68473.jpeg

wolf502

Reaction score
My truck is getting leveled, 20x9 wheels with 35x12.50's and the new OEM pocket style flares paint matched right now. Fender flares are supposed to be installed on Monday. I will report back with pics once they are installed, for those of you who are requesting info on the new OEM flares.

What is the additional coverage they add do you think? I’m trying to stay around 2” of additional tire coverage and would prefer oem ones above all others.

JinwA

Reaction score
Thx for posting the pics. That gives me a comparison shot for deciding if I want to color match or not. My Bushwacker pocket style just arrived yesterday. There is going to be some trimming required. Bad QC at Bushwacker. The first one out of the box had incomplete trimming from the mold. Not a project killer so far, I will know after checking fit on all 4 flares.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I put the bushwacker extend-a-fender flares on my 2006, they are making them now for the 19s. Bushwacker 50931-02 extend-a-fender. I think I’ll color match them again. I’m hoping paintedfenderflares.com will carry them. View attachment 3396

I had those on my 04.5 and ended up taking them off a year later.

Using the tire to climb into the bed was a PITA getting my shins banged most of the time.

I ended up putting on the factory Power Wagon flares I should have used the first time.

U

User_1648

For fender flare coverage reference, what is your wheel/tire set-up?

@Wrayzor - I have Fuel Contra 20x10 wheels on all four corners and Nitto Terra Grappler G2's 37x12.5 on the wheels. The wheels I have are at -18 offset. In hindsight, I will go with a slightly less aggressive offset in the future, but I'm happy with it.

Damac94

Reaction score
Just got them in from the dealer took a long time for some reason, got the flaps too. Here are some pics. I love them and the fact they bold on so quickly I may take them off annually or even more to clean up anything stuck behind there. Got them for rot protection not really looks but boy they look great.
I am looking to get the same flares for my truck, but I am wondering how far they stick out past the fenders?

JinwA

Reaction score
OEM about 1”. I am in the process of installing a set of Bushwacker pocket style. They stick out about 2”. Left side is done. For the price of painting I elected to leave black. When these ones look bad I will just buy another set. I will post pic’s after I finish those and a couple of other mods I am currently doing sometime in the next day or so.

Last edited:

myersd1

Reaction score
As someone else stated above the 19s require holes in the the fenders to accommodate posts/pegs or clips that are part of the flare. So it’s obviously not possible to use the direct part form say a Laramie. In the past (2018s) there was no difference in the fender and you could take the flare and throw it on a tradesmen if you wanted, which I did with my 14. Now it seems that the 18 flares will fit the 19s according to others but they won’t accommodate the new plastic trim along the bottom. Mopar does have a flare with the faux bolt on look that some may prefer(I do not) and those do work with a 19 and do not require additional holes in the face of the fender but do accommodate the new trim along the bottom.

so really I’m looking for the oem look without needing extra holes and able to mount them without removing my plastics along the bottoms.
Can you just drill the holes needed in the fenders so they fit? Doesn't seem like a deal breaker. For $40 I might buy one just to see what it will take.

.genomer

Reaction score
Can you just drill the holes needed in the fenders so they fit? Doesn't seem like a deal breaker. For $40 I might buy one just to see what it will take.

In short, no. There is an excess of 10 holes per fender. To achieve proper look and alignment, you would need to buy the fenders, paint them, buy the flares and paint them as well.

You could buy the oem flares and cut the tabs before installing them, but I believe that might lead to a gap between the flare and fender. The Mopar offroad flares are contoured to lean in on the fender and close the gap utilizing a weather striping.

Your options really come down to this:
1. Leave the fenders alone.
2. Add the Mopar flares (painted or texturized) for 1" extra coverage.
3. Add the Bushwackers (painted or black) for 2" extra coverage.

I knew my wheels were going to only come out so far, so I went with the Mopars. Painted to match and I couldnt be happier.

20200414_175526.jpg20200420_181245.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Either put paint protection tape under the flares or use some 3M double sided trim tape between the rubber and paint (make sure you use adhesive promoter) or the paint will get rashed.

If I posted pics of the paint rash from the Bushwacker flare's rubber "seal" on my 04.5 it would make you guys cry. They were only on for a year and blew through the clear and in some spots the base color.

.genomer

Reaction score
Truck suspensions and flex have changed in the last 15 years. Saying that the rubber will rot or "rash" through the paint on aluminum panels and completely rub through is absolutely incorrect. I don't know if you constantly drove in snow and spit salt/gravel all over the paint, but protective film is thin urethane plastic. The adhesive is a rubber gum glue that sits directly on the paint, essentially protecting it just like the OEM rubber gasket does. If a Mopar part eats through the paint in 1 year, you can be sure the dealer falls on it... especially with a mopar paint protection plan.

Users who are viewing this thread