Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge EZX info.. good or bad?

alexboy08

Reaction score
So I've learned to live with it lol. I get that code about 90% of the time I use the truck. When it pops up I don't even concern myself I just clear the code via my Edge or Idash when I make a stop and don't see it for another few hundred miles. I did call Edge tech support when it first happened and they recommended I remove and reinstall their kit which I didn't do. I let them know of the problem and hope they have a fix via software update in the future.

That code is an overboost code which I know didn't happen and doesn't put the truck into a limp mode so I don't worry about it like I said. I just clear it whenever I stop and go on my merry way. I do agree, the banks cai does sound good and I wish they would release their derringer tuner for it but don't hold your breath.
I know. My last three Cummins trucks were in diet mode so I didn’t have to deal with it. I just traded my 2020 F450 for this and now I gotta deal with this. I hate lights on dashes plus I’m headed for a long trip this weekend so I don’t want to stare at this for 1600 miles

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Are you sure? It did it in stock tune as well.
Yes because the only time I've ever gotten it is when running the edge. It's actually why I returned it. The banks will throw an egr code at first but that seems to go away after some miles.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any CAI THAT DOESNT TRIGGER THE PO234 out there?

Just the stock one.

If the tuning is stock there isn’t any gains, aside from cosmetic, from another CAI. The OEM CAI is very effective and will flow plenty of air for 500+ rwhp.

Aftermarket CAI’s throwing codes on a stock 6.7 is as old as the 6.7.

If you really want to run an aftermarket CAI on a 6.7 you need programming to make it 100% code free. Not a plug in module, but programming that allows for different airflow.

Yes because the only time I've ever gotten it is when running the edge. It's actually why I returned it. The banks will throw an egr code at first but that seems to go away after some miles.

It’s the intake. The Edge changed the parameters and put the airflow into a region that the stock intake wouldn’t.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
IMO it's the EZX as other's have said when stacked with a CAI. I run the S&B box code free (unlike the Banks CAI on my SO), but the EZX throws a wrench in things and I just wasn't going to deal with that. I'm eventually going to tune mine so I don't mind that the EZX was a failed experiment for me - I run the S&B box for one main reason and that is dealing with bugs. Running a wrapped, dry filter I don't have to deal with bugs embedding themselves in the pleats like the OE filters. During butterfly season my stock filter would get filled with dead bugs in the pleats and it was just an annoyance that I also didn't want to deal with. The S&B dry w/wrap makes it a simple matter of pulling the box cover and vacuuming out all the bugs.

doct

Reaction score
I ran the banks CAI for a long time before the edge and it never gave me a code. I used to run banks peddle monster before the edge also and same thing no code so imo it's the Edge but could be wrong.

Riddick

Reaction score
The increase in air flow combined with stock tuning parameters (Stock ECU) is what's causing engine codes. Yes, aftermarket intakes have been known to throw codes on certain vehicles. Also, the EZX has also been known to throw engine codes when ran on the higher hp settings. The engine codes from these parts are symptoms, the main issue lies within your stock tune file. To take advantage of any increase in air flow you will need to tune your truck accordingly.... reprogram your computer and you will not have issues with CAI's.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
It is the intake, it’s well documented. I experienced it with two trucks.
I've got about 25k on my intake and never had any overboost codes until I installed the edge and it kept doing it repeatedly until I took it off and haven't had any issues since.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got about 25k on my intake and never had any overboost codes until I installed the edge and it kept doing it repeatedly until I took it off and haven't had any issues since.

So if you break your leg and the doc finds cancer, did the broken leg cause the cancer? Or was the cancer there all along, and it just hadn’t made itself known?

That’s what your intake codes are likely from. There are always exceptions, but intakes without programming (not modules) have been an issue in the 6.7 forever.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
HO'a seem to be less finnicky about it, based on my unscientific discussions and observations. We have an SO that finally stopped throwing the P0402 codes with the Banks CAI, but once its hooked up to my folks small 5ver I'm thinking it has 50/50 odds of coming back as soon as they pull a grade.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
So if you break your leg and the doc finds cancer, did the broken leg cause the cancer? Or was the cancer there all along, and it just hadn’t made itself known?

That’s what your intake codes are likely from. There are always exceptions, but intakes without programming (not modules) have been an issue in the 6.7 forever.
What kind of screwed up logic is this? If I drive 25,000 miles with zero codes except for the 750 miles the edge was installed it's the intakes fault?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of screwed up logic is this? If I drive 25,000 miles with zero codes except for the 750 miles the edge was installed it's the intakes fault?

It’s all about what engine parameters get you out of the standard airflow tables. You could drive 100K miles without getting out of the standard airflow table, but that doesn’t mean the aftermarket CAI is compatible with the stock tables. It simply means your driving masks the issue. The edge simply put you out of the standard airflow tables by changing other parameters.

Proximate vs ultimate cause. You realized the intake issues due to the edge, nothing more or less.

Enve46

Reaction score
I took my first one to my dealer when I lived in Florida cause they were awesome. They adjusted my intake, reset something with the EGR code I was getting as well as the over boost code and it never came back. Their exact words, “These new trucks hate intakes. One of our techs knows how to get the code from coming back but we get a handful every week.”

Not every truck will throw a code and I have not heard a reason why that is. The amount of intakes installed FAR exceeds the mounts of EZX modules installed and these codes were a problem before these modules were even a thing. Again, Google it or don’t but it’s well documented

doct

Reaction score
It’s all about what engine parameters get you out of the standard airflow tables. You could drive 100K miles without getting out of the standard airflow table, but that doesn’t mean the aftermarket CAI is compatible with the stock tables. It simply means your driving masks the issue. The edge simply put you out of the standard airflow tables by changing other parameters.

Proximate vs ultimate cause. You realized the intake issues due to the edge, nothing more or less.
What you're saying makes sense. I too had everything banks had to offer on my 2022 HO. Never once threw a code in thousands of miles. I installed the edge and got an over boost code within first 100 miles. So while I am scratching my head wondering why I got that code considering I didn't even really get on the truck hard and never even reached max boost I called edge tech support. The guy I spoke to said no one has called saying they have that issue so he suggested I remove the kit and reinstall. Well considering I was on the start of a road trip and getting to the frp sensor is a real pain I didn't do that just cleared the code and it didn't come back the rest of the way to my destination nor on my way home.

The funny thing is I drive the truck only when going on trips and that code seems to pop up whenever I leave after it's been sitting for weeks or a month within the first 100 miles of a trip. The handful of times I did drive it around town for a quick errand the code never pops up only on the highway. The other thing is how can you get an over boost error from an aftermarket intake when the truck actually isn't over boosting? Anyhow not the end of the world, light will come on while I am driving and I keep driving to my destination and clear it then. There was a calibration update I did also but that didn't seem to fix the problem.

SpeyRam

Reaction score
I've also had the same EGR code with the Banks CAI off and on when I had my 21. But as others have said its not a major issue and I just cleared the code.

Sold my 21 and Picked up a new 24 and am wondering if I should re-install the CAI. On the fence about it.

Users who are viewing this thread