Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge EZX info.. good or bad?

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Hey guys I’ve got a 2022 6.7 2500. I’ve been wanting to tune this since the day i got it.. as you may already know the ECM has yet to be hacked due to different security parameters. I know very little about this stuff (I chase and catch fish for a living) so the world of diesel tuning is new to me..I’m more familiar with older marine mechanical diesels.. I’m not looking to build a race truck, i just want to get a little more out of what I’ve got for my daily drive and occasional tow.

Hopping i can get some information about this newer inline module Edge EZX. It does everything i need.. calibrates tire size, adjust TPMS thresholds, adjusts pedal response, read and clear codes, manual regens, plus they claim up to a 60hp gain running it on the highest setting.. all controls can be adjusted with your smartphone or steering wheel.. supposedly it’s ‘warranty friendly’ if you remove before service.

I’m almost in this for just for the TPMS, tire size, and pedal sensitivity.. if i were to get the AEV procal snap for tire size calibration/TPMS and Banks Pedal Monster the cost of those two is close to the Edge EZX. The Edge monitors and adjusts the MAF, MAP, FRP, unlike Stealth and Dr Performance who just add ‘fuel rail pressure’

It’s too new so i know very few people have used it.. but how is their history with tuning? Is an in-line tuner like this a bad idea? Will i clogg up my DPF? Cause more regens? Run hotter EGTs? (actually seems quite similar to the Banks Derringer that’s hasn’t been released yet)

Again, I’m a newb to the diesel tuning world.. I’ve ran marine mechanical diesels for quite awhile. I’m basically a Neanderthal when it comes to stuff like this.. anyway let me know

Thanks

Last edited:

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
You can buy a Pedal Commander for 200.00. Works well. Also the Alpha App along with an OBD Mx around 100.00. Does everything you want.

Riddick

Reaction score
This video provides a pretty good overview for the inline tuner boxes:

Alpha OBD can adjust your TPMS and tire size plus a ton of other things. I think you can get the program, cable, and security gateway bypass cable all in for around 100 dollars or so. However, you cannot adjust pedal sensitivity and increase performance with Alpha OBD. Alpha OBD enables you to access the trucks BCM and you can adjust certain parameters.

I do like the features the Edge EZX offers but at the end of the day its still an inline tuner that's manipulating your stock signals....... essentially tricking your truck. If you get a chance download the manual for the interface and read up on how to use it. The interface is pretty nifty and I really like how you can use the steering wheel controls and gauge cluster to change tune settings.

So, not that it matters but my opinion on this tuner is I am not a fan of any inline tuner since they trick your truck but I do love the way the Edge EZX interfaces with the vehicle.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
This video provides a pretty good overview for the inline tuner boxes:

Alpha OBD can adjust your TPMS and tire size plus a ton of other things. I think you can get the program, cable, and security gateway bypass cable all in for around 100 dollars or so. However, you cannot adjust pedal sensitivity and increase performance with Alpha OBD. Alpha OBD enables you to access the trucks BCM and you can adjust certain parameters.

I do like the features the Edge EZX offers but at the end of the day its still an inline tuner that's manipulating your stock signals....... essentially tricking your truck. If you get a chance download the manual for the interface and read up on how to use it. The interface is pretty nifty and I really like how you can use the steering wheel controls and gauge cluster to change tune settings.

So, not that it matters but my opinion on this tuner is I am not a fan of any inline tuner since they trick your truck but I do love the way the Edge EZX interfaces with the vehicle.
Can you explain why an inline tuner is a bad idea compared to a flash tune? Banks Derringer (not available for 22’) is essentially an in-line tuner that manipulates the same MAF, MAP, FRP, and COM ports.. what i see about this ‘tuner’ is that it works with more of the systems and ‘works within the factory safety parameters’ yeah i see how it’s tricking the computer.. damn i wish i knew more about this stuff.
Edit: (watching the video now)

hookedup2407

Reaction score
You can buy a Pedal Commander for 200.00. Works well. Also the Alpha App along with an OBD Mx around 100.00. Does everything you want.
Last time i looked AlfaOBDMX+ with the bypass cable was @150$ plus the app is another 50 or so.. and i don’t own an adroid device.. so yeah it adds up when you consider that this is only a couple hundred more.. seems too good to be true and it probably is..

Last edited:

g00fy

Reaction score
Settings adjustments aside, I'm interested in peoples real world experience with the performance enhancements. I've been waiting for the Banks version for over 2 years now, and no joy on that so far.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Settings adjustments aside, I'm interested in peoples real world experience with the performance enhancements. I've been waiting for the Banks version for over 2 years now, and no joy on that so far.
Yup I’ve been waiting for the banks derringer as well. I think the edge monitors the same systems as derringer.. i have to do more digging to see how they differ. As of now I’m on the fence. Keeping it stock for now until more is revealed

Riddick

Reaction score
Can you explain why an inline tuner is a bad idea compared to a flash tune? Banks Derringer (not available for 22’) is essentially an in-line tuner that manipulates the same MAF, MAP, FRP, and COM ports.. what i see about this ‘tuner’ is that it works with more of the systems and ‘works within the factory safety parameters’ yeah i see how it’s tricking the computer.. damn i wish i knew more about this stuff.
Edit: (watching the video now)

Your ECM is programmed with certain parameters which control how your truck performs. These inline tuners manipulate specific signals (mainly MAF and fuel flow) making your truck think its doing less than it actually is. Surely this increases performance but I personally would much rather have my ECU in FULL control, meaning all sensors are reporting true and accurate data to the ECM. These do not retune your stock ECM file, it manipulates the data the ECU is seeing. When you reflash your ECM it reprograms all of the parameters allowing it to make more power...... its commanding more timing, fuel , etc........ vs. what a stock ECM does.

I would expect Banks to release their Derringer very soon now that Edge has figured out the engineering piece. The Derringer and EZX operate under the same exact principles. The only difference is Banks will post a video by a great salesman slamming the Edge and how the Derringer is far superior to any piggy back controller in the world.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Inline modules have never Really been favored over ECM tunes by anyone who has researched and/or used both. Inline is more prone to failure and causing weird issues.

I can’t speak directly to the EZX, but generally speaking Edge is known for running hot on HPCR’s.

With manipulated signals none of the OEM safeties are functional.

The only way it keeps your warranty is by removing it and tricking the dealer, who will likely be able to tell that cannon plugs have been removed and reinstalled.

Riddick

Reaction score
Last time i looked AlfaOBDMX+ with the bypass cable was @150$ plus the app is another 50 or so.. and i don’t own an adroid device.. so yeah it adds up when you consider that this is only a couple hundred more.. seems too good to be true and it probably is..

I personally run the OBD LINK EX cable and this runs between 50-60 dollars, SGM bypass cables run between 15-50, and then you would need the actual program for 50 or so. I was a little off but you could do it for 115-150 for everything. Also, you dont need a phone for the interface, I use my Windows based laptop. The OBD LINK cable connects from my OBD port to my laptop.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ideally I'd do the same thing I did with my Ecodiesel, which is run a spare bench flashed ECU by GDE. Unfortunately GDE doesn't tune the Cummins, and it seems they're not allowed to sell the bench flashed ECU's anymore, so piggyback is the best we can do to keep our warranties intact, and with the 2022+ trucks being locked down like the GM's, piggy back modules are probably going to be making a big comeback.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a $26 adapter and it works perfectly.

BAFX Products Wireless WiFi (OBDII) OBD2 Code Reader & Scan Tool / Wireless Check Engine Light Diagnostic Scan Tool for Cars & Trucks / for iOS. iPhone & Android Devices (1) https://a.co/d/7tVGDJZ

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Your ECM is programmed with certain parameters which control how your truck performs. These inline tuners manipulate specific signals (mainly MAF and fuel flow) making your truck think its doing less than it actually is. Surely this increases performance but I personally would much rather have my ECU in FULL control, meaning all sensors are reporting true and accurate data to the ECM. These do not retune your stock ECM file, it manipulates the data the ECU is seeing. When you reflash your ECM it reprograms all of the parameters allowing it to make more power...... its commanding more timing, fuel , etc........ vs. what a stock ECM does.

I would expect Banks to release their Derringer very soon now that Edge has figured out the engineering piece. The Derringer and EZX operate under the same exact principles. The only difference is Banks will post a video by a great salesman slamming the Edge and how the Derringer is far superior to any piggy back controller in the world.
Flash my ECM and my warranty is subject to being denied.. use an inline tuner and my warranty is subjected as well.. seems like there’s a pucker factor on both.. still have yet to see how the banks is any safer than the EZX and i don’t think derringer has pedal response built into it like EZX so another point goes toward Edge.

seems the best thing to do is go to Canada and lose a few parts once they can finally crack these ECMs.. (if they ever do) I’m trying to gather as much information as i can about these things and make an informed decision.. my last diesel was a 2001 7.3 manual powerstroke. Things have come a long way since then..

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Ideally I'd do the same thing I did with my Ecodiesel, which is run a spare bench flashed ECU by GDE. Unfortunately GDE doesn't tune the Cummins, and it seems they're not allowed to sell the bench flashed ECU's anymore, so piggyback is the best we can do to keep our warranties intact, and with the 2022+ trucks being locked down like the GM's, piggy back modules are probably going to be making a big comeback.
Do you think they are as locked as GM? They seem to be making some headway in that department although everything is shrouded in secrecy.

tchur1

Reaction score
I thought I read there were a few places that could tune them now. ECM must be mailed in and it’s $4K+ just for tuning.
There is at least one tuner that has been mentioned on here in other threads that is doing exactly this, and its very expensive but if you're desperate to delete a 22 it can be done.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
There are emission compliant flash tunes available for 19-21 that seem to yield some great results.. personally I can’t testify but I’ve heard good things..

hookedup2407

Reaction score
There is at least one tuner that has been mentioned on here in other threads that is doing exactly this, and its very expensive but if you're desperate to delete a 22 it can be done.
Definitely not ‘desperate’ as everything is running as it should for now.. i had one ‘Service DEF See Dealer’ notification pop up at 3k miles with no CEL.. (it went away on its own and dealer said they didn’t find any codes) my DPF was 50% full.. I may have interrupted the regen process a few times as i was doing a lot of city driving that week..

Keeping it stock for now until more is revealed for 22’s. If the only tuning option is swapping ECMs it ends up costing quite a bit more than i want to spend.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Inline modules have never Really been favored over ECM tunes by anyone who has researched and/or used both. Inline is more prone to failure and causing weird issues.

I can’t speak directly to the EZX, but generally speaking Edge is known for running hot on HPCR’s.

With manipulated signals none of the OEM safeties are functional.

The only way it keeps your warranty is by removing it and tricking the dealer, who will likely be able to tell that cannon plugs have been removed and reinstalled.
What is hot HPCR’s? Sorry I’m growing accustomed to the lingo but that’s alien to me.. is it a richer tune? hotter EGT?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What is hot HPCR’s? Sorry I’m growing accustomed to the lingo but that’s alien to me.. is it a richer tune? hotter EGT?

Hotter EGT’s, hotter than needed for the power they make.

High Pressure Common Rail, all Cummins in a Dodge/Ram since 2003.

Richer/leaner isn’t a thing like it is in gas engines, since diesels vary their air:fuel ratio all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread