Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge EZX info.. good or bad?

flashman252

Reaction score
I am just going to live with the pedal monster for now. Maybe if the derringer ever comes out, Ill go that route and play with that some.

If they ever make it to where they can just flash these trucks without fully replacing, ill think about a full delete. I sure do like the way my buddies 2020 drives that is fully deleted. Just not in a hurry to get there, especially since I have another couple years worth of warranty left.

DesertRacer

Reaction score
I had the pedal monster already and compared to other pedal boosters/adjusters I've used on other vehicles I really do like its adjust-ability as well as other features like reverse mode (pedal back to stock when backing up). It helps a lot with the pedal on these trucks and if that's all you're after then I'd say only go that route. I ended up buying the EZX for a little more power and to play around with since tuning for '22s is still a meh situation. I was going to play with the derringer since it can plug into the Pedal Monster as an extension of the banks canbus system(I also have some iDash gauges), but as it has been "coming soon" for an eternity I gave up on that route lol. I have also played with the pedal boosting in the EZX, but I just don't like it compared to the pedal monster. This being the case I have the EZX setup to leave the pedal stock and handle pedal adjustments via the pedal monster. So far as power I run the truck on lvl 3 which has given me a small increase in hwy mpg, a bit more get up and go, and doesn't seem to adversely affecting anything other than mildly increased DEF consumption.

The other features of the EZX are going to be achievable through AlfaOBD like disabling the foglight dropout, changing tire size/gear ratio, and enabling the current gear display in the instrument cluster. I had already done all of these things via AlfaOBD so I'm only using it as a box tuner adding a little bit of power.

Eventually once tuning is in a better place for the '22s I'll be ripping the EZX out and going with proper SOTF tuning. I've been talking to a few folks who work with some folks that are actively working on being able to bench flash a '22 PCM so that we don't have to do a PCM swap. Once that process is worked out I'll get some SOTF tuning for mine.
Have you towed with it yet? I’m curious how much of a difference the power increase makes when towing, especially with maintaining speed on long grades when loaded heavy. There’s a few hills I pull with my fifth wheel where the throttle is buried for a couple miles at a time.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Have you towed with it yet? I’m curious how much of a difference the power increase makes when towing, especially with maintaining speed on long grades when loaded heavy. There’s a few hills I pull with my fifth wheel where the throttle is buried for a couple miles at a time.
I’ve only pulled about 8k lbs with another 600 or so in the bed when we went camping over the 4th. My gauges all looked good staying in power level 3, but that’s not really a big load to be pulling. Going up a 8% grade I buried it to see how she did and it quickly went from 60-70 where I got out of it. If I was pulling more id prolly back it down further and want real tuning with trans tuning just for me to be comfortable with it and still be watching my egts, etc.

Last edited:

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
Any updates after a few more weeks of use?

Up about 2mpg to 16.5 and it’s definitely got more pep off the red light. Pedal lag is gone. Plan on taking the tent and racks off the top next week and hope to show even bigger improvement in mileage

doct

Reaction score
Well after sitting on my tool box for months I finally installed mine. Install wasn't bad, the Frp Sensor was a kind of a pain to get to. After I installed everything it required updates out of the gate which I did. I drove it around town for about 20 min and everything was fine. A couple of days later I left on a 300 mile road trip. After pulling off the highway for quick food stop I got back on the highway and while cruising around 78mph check engine light comes on, p2034 overboost. I found it odd because I haven't really beat on the truck nor seen any crazy boost spikes. I called Edge while I was on the road and asked if they had anyone else report that issue in which they said no. I got to my destination and cleared the code and have been driving around town for a few days and hasn't come back on but well see once I get back on the highway going home tomorrow.

So on level 5 and pedal on kill mode yea you notice it for sure. Going to play with the settings some more and see how lower ones feel.

The features on the app are nice if you don't have or want to mess with Alfaodb. I think the list of things you can modify via the app are more then enough for most people. The turbo timer is a nice feature that I use but I guess you need to have a cts3 monitor and have egt1 displayed for it to actually work.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Well after sitting on my tool box for months I finally installed mine. Install wasn't bad, the Frp Sensor was a kind of a pain to get to. After I installed everything it required updates out of the gate which I did. I drove it around town for about 20 min and everything was fine. A couple of days later I left on a 300 mile road trip. After pulling off the highway for quick food stop I got back on the highway and while cruising around 78mph check engine light comes on, p2034 overboost. I found it odd because I haven't really beat on the truck nor seen any crazy boost spikes. I called Edge while I was on the road and asked if they had anyone else report that issue in which they said no. I got to my destination and cleared the code and have been driving around town for a few days and hasn't come back on but well see once I get back on the highway going home tomorrow.

So on level 5 and pedal on kill mode yea you notice it for sure. Going to play with the settings some more and see how lower ones feel.

The features on the app are nice if you don't have or want to mess with Alfaodb. I think the list of things you can modify via the app are more then enough for most people. The turbo timer is a nice feature that I use but I guess you need to have a cts3 monitor and have egt1 displayed for it to actually work.
Interesting, that's the 1st I've heard of that particular code happening. HO or SO truck ? Lvl5 on my SO truck mirrors what happens with the Banks CAI in that it throws a P0402 EGR code after a while, lvl4 less frequently. I've found that lvl3 doesn't give me any issues with a wide range of driving conditions to include some towing so the truck just stays there now.

doct

Reaction score
Interesting, that's the 1st I've heard of that particular code happening. HO or SO truck ? Lvl5 on my SO truck mirrors what happens with the Banks CAI in that it throws a P0402 EGR code after a while, lvl4 less frequently. I've found that lvl3 doesn't give me any issues with a wide range of driving conditions to include some towing so the truck just stays there now.
Truck is a HO.

I'm guessing you've updated the module?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Truck is a HO.

I'm guessing you've updated the module?
Yup. I check it for updates every two weeks or so, but as I've mentioned before I'm not a big fan of box tuners in general. They can serve a purpose, but they're nowhere near as good as proper tuning. I never really planned to run mine hotter than level3 so running in 4/5 was more so to play with/test it and watch my gauges. Being that I have a '22 I'm just waiting on the tuning situation to stabilize to see if they'll be able to at-least bench unlock '22 PCM's without requiring a PCM swap. My normal diesel mechanic seems to be confident some of the folks he works with will get it figured out, but he is doing PCM swaps today so I can at-least have him do the labor for me if I end up getting impatient enough to PCM swap.

Not really concerned with warranty as my sig already has plenty of mods that would give a dealer reason to fight a claim with many more planned.

doct

Reaction score
Yup. I check it for updates every two weeks or so, but as I've mentioned before I'm not a big fan of box tuners in general. They can serve a purpose, but they're nowhere near as good as proper tuning. I never really planned to run mine hotter than level3 so running in 4/5 was more so to play with/test it and watch my gauges. Being that I have a '22 I'm just waiting on the tuning situation to stabilize to see if they'll be able to at-least bench unlock '22 PCM's without requiring a PCM swap. My normal diesel mechanic seems to be confident some of the folks he works with will get it figured out, but he is doing PCM swaps today so I can at-least have him do the labor for me if I end up getting impatient enough to PCM swap.

Not really concerned with warranty as my sig already has plenty of mods that would give a dealer reason to fight a claim with many more planned.
Gotcha, yea I agree box tuners don't compare but they have come along way comparing to 10 years ago. I would also wait till they can flash factory pcm without having to swap them out. I paid almost 5k to flash my duramax and while I was completely happy I would wait till it costs less to do again in the future.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Good info guys… I’m planning an EZX install on a HO ‘21 dually. Really want it for some of the things AOBD can do along with a small power bump.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
No codes on my return trip.

I don’t daily drive my truck but drove it around town for 3 days on my trip before the haul home and no issues.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger today on the EZX.. can't wait to get it installed.

@joshuaeb09 @doct @Shadowboxin20 are you guys still enjoying the box? Any issues?

I'm still running it in level 3 daily as 4/5 will eventually cause the P0402 code to set. Other than that I've been happy with it for what it is until I do real tuning on the truck at some point in the future. I imagine the P0402 is a being caused by those higher levels pulling down the MAF enough in conjunction with the S&B CAI to trip up the PCM - that said I had no plans to daily it on 4/5 since there's nothing to help out the RFE like there is with proper tuning.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I'm still running it in level 3 daily as 4/5 will eventually cause the P0402 code to set. Other than that I've been happy with it for what it is until I do real tuning on the truck at some point in the future. I imagine the P0402 is a being caused by those higher levels pulling down the MAF enough in conjunction with the S&B CAI to trip up the PCM - that said I had no plans to daily it on 4/5 since there's nothing to help out the RFE like there is with proper tuning.

Interesting.. i was reading the EZX manual online and it made mention of disconnecting the MAF plug on the EZX harness and plugging it into itself if you have a CAI and get codes. Have you seen that bit in the manual?

doct

Reaction score
You think the S&B doesn't flow enough thus tripping the code?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Interesting.. i was reading the EZX manual online and it made mention of disconnecting the MAF plug on the EZX harness and plugging it into itself if you have a CAI and get codes. Have you seen that bit in the manual?

Hmm that's actually new info on the website, not the owners manual that I could find. I'll have to play with that when I get some free time. Interestingly enough its not under load with the S&B intake, but rather certain transient conditions where it'll pop cruising up/down a small grade. When it gets cooler I might play with the Banks intake and looping it around to see if EZX can actually fix the Banks CAI.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
You think the S&B doesn't flow enough thus tripping the code?

No that issue is from the MAF not seeing enough flow compared to EGR flow. The Banks CAI is real bad about it due to the position of the MAF sensor and cross section area of the part of the tube its in compared to stock. The S&B is closer to stock, but it does appear to have slightly more cross sectional area compared to stock so the MAF would read lower compared to the stock box. Based on how all these box tuners work they're likely pulling down the MAF sensor when they pull down the MAP and FRP to get more air and fuel into the engine without tripping a code for too much MAF flow.

doct

Reaction score
No that issue is from the MAF not seeing enough flow compared to EGR flow. The Banks CAI is real bad about it due to the position of the MAF sensor and cross section area of the part of the tube its in compared to stock. The S&B is closer to stock, but it does appear to have slightly more cross sectional area compared to stock so the MAF would read lower compared to the stock box. Based on how all these box tuners work they're likely pulling down the MAF sensor when they pull down the MAP and FRP to get more air and fuel into the engine without tripping a code for too much MAF flow.
Gotcha, makes a lot of sense. I am running the Banks CAI didn't have that issue (yet) lol. Maybe an update possible fixed it?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Gotcha, makes a lot of sense. I am running the Banks CAI didn't have that issue (yet) lol. Maybe an update possible fixed it?

Hmm seems to be another one of those SO vs HO things or luck of the draw things. I know some folks who haven't had an issue with the Banks CAI, but both of our '22 SOs have thrown P0402 codes with them on. Down here I've noticed the P0402 situation is really bad when we get a high humidity spike along with moderately warm temps.

Users who are viewing this thread