Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge EZX info.. good or bad?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Hmm that's actually new info on the website, not the owners manual that I could find. I'll have to play with that when I get some free time. Interestingly enough its not under load with the S&B intake, but rather certain transient conditions where it'll pop cruising up/down a small grade. When it gets cooler I might play with the Banks intake and looping it around to see if EZX can actually fix the Banks CAI.

Stupid idea with the S&B at-least. Sure it can run down the HWY on level 5 without popping the P0402, but holy hell it runs so rich I've never seen the DPF fill so fast on my truck. EGT's were also up by over 200 degrees just doing 75 MPH so yea truck wasn't happy. After I do my lawn I'll be swapping it back and happy with it on level 3 without messing with it until real tuning time. On level 3 with everything connected and my combo of parts it runs great, don't have any DPF issues even doing the occasional short trips, and really just consumes a lil too much DEF for my liking - probably because its a bit leaned out going down the hwy, but lean is safe with an oil burner so no big deal.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
So I've had one installed for about 2.5 weeks now. My only goal was for better fuel economy, especially while towing. I ran on level 2 the week before leaving to make sure all is well and while the evic said I was getting amazing mileage the actual mileage was worse than normal. I read somewhere that the best fuel mileage gains would be on level 5 so I set it at level 5 economy and started my trip. I noticed maybe a 1 mpg gain, I really can't statistically tell if I gained anything or not. Not having the truck downshift all the time was really nice so I was thinking of just leaving it there and all would be well. About 400 miles into the trip I threw a P0234 just like the poster above. I cleared the code when I stopped for fuel and kept going. The code came back though so I took it back to level 2 to see if there were any gains while towing and I can't actually tell any difference at all on level 2 in power or fuel economy. So I'll be trying their 30 day money back guarantee that they advertise on the box for the tuner. I'd rather void the warranty completely with an actual tune than probably void it with the box tuner.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
So I've had one installed for about 2.5 weeks now. My only goal was for better fuel economy, especially while towing. I ran on level 2 the week before leaving to make sure all is well and while the evic said I was getting amazing mileage the actual mileage was worse than normal. I read somewhere that the best fuel mileage gains would be on level 5 so I set it at level 5 economy and started my trip. I noticed maybe a 1 mpg gain, I really can't statistically tell if I gained anything or not. Not having the truck downshift all the time was really nice so I was thinking of just leaving it there and all would be well. About 400 miles into the trip I threw a P0234 just like the poster above. I cleared the code when I stopped for fuel and kept going. The code came back though so I took it back to level 2 to see if there were any gains while towing and I can't actually tell any difference at all on level 2 in power or fuel economy. So I'll be trying their 30 day money back guarantee that they advertise on the box for the tuner. I'd rather void the warranty completely with an actual tune than probably void it with the box tuner.

Disappointing to hear, but I appreciate the honest review!

Riddick

Reaction score
I'm convinced the box tuners provide little gains...... There are gains but they are minimal at best.

There are other options out there, you can swap in an unlocked ECU and tune it with emissions on, up to 100hp gains. Only negative is it will set you back 3-4k. I actually installed an unlocked ECU over the weekend and am waiting on my new tune file. I'll post a review once I get it back up and running but it will basically be like any 19-21 truck with emissions on. Feel free to send a PM if you have any questions..

SpeyRam

Reaction score
Hmm seems to be another one of those SO vs HO things or luck of the draw things. I know some folks who haven't had an issue with the Banks CAI, but both of our '22 SOs have thrown P0402 codes with them on. Down here I've noticed the P0402 situation is really bad when we get a high humidity spike along with moderately warm temps.
I installed the Banks CAI and I've logged the P0402 code quite regularly since installing it about 2 months ago. Sort of a PITA but it's easy enough to clear the code. I called Banks to complain and they logged a case as they're very aware of the codes being reported in the Field. We'll see if they're able to provide an Engineering fix for it.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
I installed the Banks CAI and I've logged the P0402 code quite regularly since installing it about 2 months ago. Sort of a PITA but it's easy enough to clear the code. I called Banks to complain and they logged a case as they're very aware of the codes being reported in the Field. We'll see if they're able to provide an Engineering fix for it.
I had the same code pop up on my truck with a banks intake last year while towing my camper. They didn't seem to care too much about it then and if it is still happening I wouldn't plan on a fix coming out.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I had the same code pop up on my truck with a banks intake last year while towing my camper. They didn't seem to care too much about it then and if it is still happening I wouldn't plan on a fix coming out.
Thats why I picked up the S&B intake. Another benefit of the S&B is the easy to remove cover so I can vacuum out all the bugs and debris that end up in there - One of the reasons I've always run some flavor of after market CAI with a dry filter and a filter wrap.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Thats why I picked up the S&B intake. Another benefit of the S&B is the easy to remove cover so I can vacuum out all the bugs and debris that end up in there - One of the reasons I've always run some flavor of after market CAI with a dry filter and a filter wrap.

S/B is on my short list too. Im hoping it goes good with the EZX.

bustedgrills

Reaction score
I'm convinced the box tuners provide little gains...... There are gains but they are minimal at best.

There are other options out there, you can swap in an unlocked ECU and tune it with emissions on, up to 100hp gains. Only negative is it will set you back 3-4k. I actually installed an unlocked ECU over the weekend and am waiting on my new tune file. I'll post a review once I get it back up and running but it will basically be like any 19-21 truck with emissions on. Feel free to send a PM if you have any questions..
I'm in the market for a 19-21 ecu...where did you get it from?

Riddick

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 19-21 ecu...where did you get it from.

Mine came in a tuning package I purchased from Calibrated Power, package came with a brand new ECU.

Read my thread below this one for more info on tuning as there is an issue with bricking ECUs with HP Tuners and EFI Live.... not sure about other devices.

bustedgrills

Reaction score
Mine came in a tuning package I purchased from Calibrated Power, package came with a brand new ECU.

Read my thread below this one for more info on tuning as there is an issue with bricking ECUs with HP Tuners and EFI Live.... not sure about other devices.
Thanks...I'll check them out

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I ripped mine off today. As the weather changes I've noticed the P0402 frequently on any power level, even just lvl1. Setting it back to stock zero codes with my configuration of parts and I'll just suck it up and tune it for reals later (was always the plan anyways). I checked it for updates and nothing so eh I'll call it a failed experiment for me.

doct

Reaction score
So I don't daily my truck just use it for road trips. I took it back out a couple of weeks ago and got the p0234 overboost code again on the way out of town. I am guessing it has to do with cooler weather because it happens only when I leave town which is around 5am ish in the morning. I clear it put another 500 miles on it getting to destination driving around town and coming. back home. I don't leave nearly as early in the am coming back so outside temps are a lot higher. The funny part is I know for a fact the truck never overboosts, sure does it spool harder because of the the tune and peddle sensitivity being aggressive sure.

I also have banks cai and every other mod they currently offer and I have not pulled a p0402 code as of yet.

I still rather go with someone like calibrated tuner but don't want to spend 4k at the moment. Worst case if this continues I'll pull the edge off reinstall my banks peddle monster and be done. Truck makes plenty of power for me to be honest but like most in here just like messing with it.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I ripped mine off today. As the weather changes I've noticed the P0402 frequently on any power level, even just lvl1. Setting it back to stock zero codes with my configuration of parts and I'll just suck it up and tune it for reals later (was always the plan anyways). I checked it for updates and nothing so eh I'll call it a failed experiment for me.

Well thats a bummer. I haven't gotten that code yet, but being an HO, I don't run on anything over level 1 or 2... really no need.n. Then again, your CAI could be causing the code according to these guys... https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/cai-throws-p0402.8683/

The main reason I bought the box was for the tire size correction and button recall features.. which I love.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Well thats a bummer. I haven't gotten that code yet, but being an HO, I don't run on anything over level 1 or 2... really no need.

The main reason I bought the box was for the tire size correction and button recall features.. which I love.

How are you liking that S/B CAI? I might pick one up soon.

The S&B is awesome IMO. When its butterfly season, like now, I just pull the quick access cover and vacuum out the box. If I was running the stock filter or a non wrapped filter I'd be picking butterflies out of pleats.

Number 7

Reaction score
Been running an Edge EZx for about 30,000 miles now. Only code I have gotten is a low reductant code. I run on level 1 90% of the time. I’m at 84,000 miles and truck runs perfectly. She does seem to pull better especially when load heavy I can tell. Run the throttle on level 1 all the time. Anything higher just doesn’t feel right to me.

alexboy08

Reaction score
So I just got a new 2024 Ram 3500 and installed the Banks CAI, monster ram and boost tubes along with the Edge mostly to correct tire size. Every 50-60 miles I got the po234 code to pop up. Yesterday I removed the CAI and put the stock back on now 100 miles in no code yet. Is there any CAI THAT DOESNT TRIGGER THE PO234 out there? Loved the sound of the exhaust brake and turbo. Very disappointing in the Banks Engineering that this is not disclosed.

doct

Reaction score
So I just got a new 2024 Ram 3500 and installed the Banks CAI, monster ram and boost tubes along with the Edge mostly to correct tire size. Every 50-60 miles I got the po234 code to pop up. Yesterday I removed the CAI and put the stock back on now 100 miles in no code yet. Is there any CAI THAT DOESNT TRIGGER THE PO234 out there? Loved the sound of the exhaust brake and turbo. Very disappointing in the Banks Engineering that this is not disclosed.
So I've learned to live with it lol. I get that code about 90% of the time I use the truck. When it pops up I don't even concern myself I just clear the code via my Edge or Idash when I make a stop and don't see it for another few hundred miles. I did call Edge tech support when it first happened and they recommended I remove and reinstall their kit which I didn't do. I let them know of the problem and hope they have a fix via software update in the future.

That code is an overboost code which I know didn't happen and doesn't put the truck into a limp mode so I don't worry about it like I said. I just clear it whenever I stop and go on my merry way. I do agree, the banks cai does sound good and I wish they would release their derringer tuner for it but don't hold your breath.

alexboy08

Reaction score
So I've learned to live with it lol. I get that code about 90% of the time I use the truck. When it pops up I don't even concern myself I just clear the code via my Edge or Idash when I make a stop and don't see it for another few hundred miles. I did call Edge tech support when it first happened and they recommended I remove and reinstall their kit which I didn't do. I let them know of the problem and hope they have a fix via software update in the future.

That code is an overboost code which I know didn't happen and doesn't put the truck into a limp mode so I don't worry about it like I said. I just clear it whenever I stop and go on my merry way. I do agree, the banks cai does sound good and I wish they would release their derringer tuner for it but don't hold your breath.
I know. My last three Cummins trucks were in diet mode so I didn’t have to deal with it. I just traded my 2020 F450 for this and now I gotta deal with this. I hate lights on dashes plus I’m headed for a long trip this weekend so I don’t want to stare at this for 1600 miles.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
It isn't the intake it is the edge.

Users who are viewing this thread