Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge EZX info.. good or bad?

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Hotter EGT’s, hotter than needed for the power they make.

High Pressure Common Rail, all Cummins in a Dodge/Ram since 2003.

Richer/leaner isn’t a thing like it is in gas engines, since diesels vary their air:fuel ratio all the time.
Ahhh gotcha.. thanks. Also confused i thought all the factory safety parameters were still intact? Now that i think about it,
I guess if the in-line box is not relaying accurate info the ECM that it can be beyond those lines?? See I’m learning something.. i think.. lol

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhh gotcha.. thanks. Also confused i thought all the factory safety parameters were still intact? Now that i think about it,
I guess if the in-line box is not relaying accurate info the ECM that it can be beyond those lines?? See I’m learning something.. i think.. lol

Exactly, the ECM will still work the same but the data it sees may not be accurate. Garbage in = garbage out.

Riddick

Reaction score
Two companies offer tuning for the 22 models. NRE Performance and Performance Calibrations, both require you to send in your ECU to be modified...... So warranty is definitely gone if you do this. Also, as previously mentioned it will cost over 4k to do this.

Good point on mentioning the Edge features over the Derringer. It definitely has more features. Out of those two units the Edge seems like the better option. However, after reading your post above I think you are understanding some of the negatives associated with piggy back controllers.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Two companies offer tuning for the 22 models. NRE Performance and Performance Calibrations, both require you to send in your ECU to be modified...... So warranty is definitely gone if you do this. Also, as previously mentioned it will cost over 4k to do this.

Good point on mentioning the Edge features over the Derringer. It definitely has more features. Out of those two units the Edge seems like the better option. However, after reading your post above I think you are understanding some of the negatives associated with piggy back controllers.
4k damn.. yes Duramaxtuners didn’t specify how they were able to tune a 22’ for compliant tunes. Swap or bench flash ect.. only that it would be more expensive than a 19-21 but not by how much.. 4k is too much

Riddick

Reaction score
4k damn.. yes Duramaxtuners didn’t specify how they were able to tune a 22’ for compliant tunes. Swap or bench flash ect.. only that it would be more expensive than a 19-21 but not by how much.. 4k is too much
Duramaxtuners is Calibrated Performance and cannot tune the 22. Performance Calibrations is based out of Canada. The going rate is 3750 which includes modifying your ECU and the tune file. Then you also need to purchase an ezylynk device to load the file on your modified ecm.

Enve46

Reaction score
I have used piggyback tuners on 3 different vehicles with little to no issues. Are they the best option? Absolutely not. But they do function when installed correctly and used correctly. I say this cause JB4 on BMWs is a well known and used piggyback but it WILL cause issues to certain stock parts like the HPFP but so will an actual tune. Understand what you're buying and go in with the expectation you MAY have some issues. There is no tuning device that doesn't have its risks. I have an EDGE EZX waiting to go in and will report back but I have yet to read on anyone who hasn't liked it or had issues. There's more people with experience on the FB groups, OP Id check there if you're on FB.

By no means am I saying its perfect and without fault. Don't think it deserves the negative image that's being portrayed here. You hear horror stories of actual tunes but people still do them. If you don't want ANY issues, keep it stock and let your warranty fix any issues that arise

hookedup2407

Reaction score

Good point on mentioning the Edge features over the Derringer. It definitely has more features. Out of those two units the Edge seems like the better option. However, after reading your post above I think you are understanding some of the negatives
Duramaxtuners is Calibrated Performance and cannot tune the 22. Performance Calibrations is based out of Canada. The going rate is 3750 which includes modifying your ECU and the tune file. Then you also need to purchase an ezylynk device to load the file on your modified ecm.
5CA09D28-C16F-40F3-83BF-30BD1897AC07.png
Coming soon they say.. no specification on how the tuned it.. swapped or bench flashed i have no idea.. however they are going to be ready soon.. they wouldn’t disclose any details other than it will be more expensive than a 19-21. So yea they can’t just yet but soon.. it’s what got my gears turning. They posted this on their Facebook page on Friday.. hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel but i suspect that light is going to be costly

hookedup2407

Reaction score
I have used piggyback tuners on 3 different vehicles with little to no issues. Are they the best option? Absolutely not. But they do function when installed correctly and used correctly. I say this cause JB4 on BMWs is a well known and used piggyback but it WILL cause issues to certain stock parts like the HPFP but so will an actual tune. Understand what you're buying and go in with the expectation you MAY have some issues. There is no tuning device that doesn't have its risks. I have an EDGE EZX waiting to go in and will report back but I have yet to read on anyone who hasn't liked it or had issues. There's more people with experience on the FB groups, OP Id check there if you're on FB.

By no means am I saying its perfect and without fault. Don't think it deserves the negative image that's being portrayed here. You hear horror stories of actual tunes but people still do them. If you don't want ANY issues, keep it stock and let your warranty fix any issues that arise
Yes please report back. I haven’t ruled it out. Thanks for your input

Riddick

Reaction score
@hookedup2407

Thanks for sharing the information from Calibrated Power, I am very intrigued with what they have in store. If you are on the fence hold off a little while as this is your best option. On his facebook post they mentioned a Beta 64 unit which I am betting is a box we will need in order to flash the ECM, just a guess though.

I am heavily interested in emissions off tuning which this company does not support. However, if they have a means to reprogram, the technology should trickle down to other tuners in the future.

jkempken

Reaction score
@hookedup2407

Thanks for sharing the information from Calibrated Power, I am very intrigued with what they have in store. If you are on the fence hold off a little while as this is your best option. On his facebook post they mentioned a Beta 64 unit which I am betting is a box we will need in order to flash the ECM, just a guess though.

I am heavily interested in emissions off tuning which this company does not support. However, if they have a means to reprogram, the technology should trickle down to other tuners in the future.
The Beta 64 unit is probably a stealth turbo for the 19+ Cummins Rams. I talked to them a while ago and they said it was in development.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
@hookedup2407

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for the insight. Yeah i have no idea what a beta 64 is lol.. If I’m going to do it, I’m going to do it right.. I’ve waited this long. Might as well continue to wait and see what becomes available!!

doct

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Thanks for the insight. Yeah i have no idea what a beta 64 is lol.. If I’m going to do it, I’m going to do it right.. I’ve waited this long. Might as well continue to wait and see what becomes available!!
Responded to the other thread.

If Calibrated Tuners comes out with something for the 22 it will be good. I ran 2 Duramaxes with their tunes and never had an issue and their customer service was always top notch.

Enve46

Reaction score
Yes please report back. I haven’t ruled it out. Thanks for your input
I will certainly let you know. I really want to get it on and see but let's just say a good "friend" who may or may not have the means to tune 22s opened my mind to the differences between my experiences and this box. Not enough to completely sway me but enough to go on the side of caution.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
I will certainly let you know. I really want to get it on and see but let's just say a good "friend" who may or may not have the means to tune 22s opened my mind to the differences between my experiences and this box. Not enough to completely sway me but enough to go on the side of caution.
Can you elaborate on why you chose this route?

doct

Reaction score
Edge also has a bad rap from the "Insight" days like others have stated. They were bought out by Holly Performance and it seems like they have been throwing some serious money into that company via products and tuning. I wouldn't compare old edge vs new edge personally. Hopefully like someone else said maybe edge releasing before Banks will light a fire under them to get something out to the public to those that just want to use inline tuners.

On another note Kory posted up some videos today of a Ram with some good gains stock. I am hoping its for 22+ as he already has 21 and under tuning available on his site for purchase.

g00fy

Reaction score
With manipulated signals none of the OEM safeties are functional.

I was thinking about this the other night, and I don't think this is entirely true anymore. I can definitely see that being the case with old school spliced in piggy back units that worked totally independent of the stock ECU.

These newer piggy backs that also hook up to the obd-ii, if I understand correctly, are supposed to monitor data from the ECU so that a lot of those safeties still function. I think banks claimed in one of their sales videos that the derringer will disable itself and let the stock signals pass through if it detects any issues.

I'd imagine the ezx has a similar feature.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other night, and I don't think this is entirely true anymore. I can definitely see that being the case with old school spliced in piggy back units that worked totally independent of the stock ECU.

These newer piggy backs that also hook up to the obd-ii, if I understand correctly, are supposed to monitor data from the ECU so that a lot of those safeties still function. I think banks claimed in one of their sales videos that the derringer will disable itself and let the stock signals pass through if it detects any issues.

I'd imagine the ezx has a similar feature.

These new units also work 100% independently of the ECM, that’s why they are inline. They have to do that when you don’t program the ECM.

OBDII is mainly used for the monitor, even some of the programmers use OBDII for monitors and on the fly tuning of tuned ECMs. But the ECM isn’t seeing real data from the sensors so it doesn’t matter, you see what the ECM sees not what’s actually happening.

Also, the EZX doesn’t connect to the OBDII port on these trucks. It does connect to the bus for PCM changes, but not sure how much data it can pull from that anyhow. To monitor a EZX you need to add a CTS, which likely will only show what the ECM sees. The EZX appears to manipulate rail pressure (usually not good, the 19+ already runs a lot of pressure) and airflow data. Nothing is hooked to the injector harness for manipulated duration.

I wouldn’t assume anything on how it works or detects issues, especially not based on how other companies products work.

g00fy

Reaction score
These new units also work 100% independently of the ECM, that’s why they are inline. They have to do that when you don’t program the ECM.

OBDII is mainly used for the monitor, even some of the programmers use OBDII for monitors and on the fly tuning of tuned ECMs. But the ECM isn’t seeing real data from the sensors so it doesn’t matter, you see what the ECM sees not what’s actually happening.

Also, the EZX doesn’t connect to the OBDII port on these trucks. It does connect to the bus for PCM changes, but not sure how much data it can pull from that anyhow. To monitor a EZX you need to add a CTS, which likely will only show what the ECM sees. The EZX appears to manipulate rail pressure (usually not good, the 19+ already runs a lot of pressure) and airflow data. Nothing is hooked to the injector harness for manipulated duration.

I wouldn’t assume anything on how it works or detects issues, especially not based on how other companies products work.
You're right, I looked back at the EZX and it doesn't hook to the OBD-II.

The banks will however monitor the status of the truck, I'm assuming through the OBD-II according to the features list:

"ActiveSafety health monitoring circuitry its health 100 times a second. It keeps an eye on the vehicle and the module itself to protect both the engine and powertrain. If it detects an issue, the Derringer saves a diagnostic code and seamlessly bypasses itself via electro-mechanical relays returning you to stock power."

I'll probably continue to wait for the banks which at this rate may never come.

Enve46

Reaction score
If I remember everything clearly, he expanded on EGTs and how they differ on diesel vs let's say a turbo BMW. Diesel has a more complete combustion process than gas engines so the heat you're seeing in EGTs is more indicative of the heat in the combustion chamber. Also, gas engines are turning much quicker so the EGTs are from the gas still being burnt off in the exhaust so they're not nearly as concerning to the temps in the combustion chamber. If this piggyback tuner causes higher EGTs on an otherwise stock engine, more issues can arise. I'm sure someone more educated in this area will either expand or correct my mistakes here but this has me hesitant. Im not as worried about my warranty here but if Im going to put it at risk why wouldn't I just spend the money and do it right?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember everything clearly, he expanded on EGTs and how they differ on diesel vs let's say a turbo BMW. Diesel has a more complete combustion process than gas engines so the heat you're seeing in EGTs is more indicative of the heat in the combustion chamber. Also, gas engines are turning much quicker so the EGTs are from the gas still being burnt off in the exhaust so they're not nearly as concerning to the temps in the combustion chamber. If this piggyback tuner causes higher EGTs on an otherwise stock engine, more issues can arise. I'm sure someone more educated in this area will either expand or correct my mistakes here but this has me hesitant. Im not as worried about my warranty here but if Im going to put it at risk why wouldn't I just spend the money and do it right?

There is a lot more to EGT's relative to combustion temp than just being diesel. For example the stock 04.5-07 5.9 would run 1450° pre-turbos with stock timing and was fine, but crank the timing up and the cylinder temps at 1250° pre-turbo EGT's were higher. Post injection events also have an effect on EGT's but not on cylinder temps.

Timing and EGT's are very important to one another in terms of cylinder temps. Good tunes adjust the timing to be better for power/efficiency than for emissions, but that places more heat in the cylinder (why they make more power/efficiency) so you can use the same EGT limits as pre-tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread