Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don’t tell me it’s a Hemi tick

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Ehhhh it is what it is. But Ram is definitely leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I could care less that the engine is knocking it happens . My problem I have is they know it’s not normal and don’t want to do anything till it leaves me on the side of the road. They didn’t even bother to cut the filter open to see if the motor is eating it self and I even told them to change the oil.

Couldnt agree more. Engines fail from time to time, that's not the big concern. Im shocked they arent yanking the motor and installing a new one until it "breaks". Watching your video, its broken already IMO.

jerome32

Reaction score
Probably not applicable because it's still running, but read through your states lemon law. Many have wording that suggests if the vehicle is defective or not operating as it should, you may be able to put in a lemon law complaint.
I have it’s the standard stuff they have to have hag the vehicle over 20 consecutive days. Been back for the same complaint 3 times amd not resolved.

jerome32

Reaction score
Couldnt agree more. Engines fail from time to time, that's not the big concern. Im shocked they arent yanking the motor and installing a new one until it "breaks". Watching your video, its broken already IMO.
It does casting material gets stuck an oil passage gets clogged it happens these motors are massed produced and no matter how much quality control you put in things just happen. I’m just taken back by the Ram reps response all they did was a compression test and check for DTCs. They had the truck for 12 days and didn’t even do a oil inspection

Last edited:

guesscrazy

Reaction score
Watched your video and that is horrible. You need a new engine. Maybe I wont buy a new Ram now.

PCT 6.4

Reaction score
I still would it’s just a fluke it happens. If I had a choice I’d still get the truck. It’s a lot of truck for the money. I’d probably get a Cummins next time though.

The 6.4 is a really good engine, seems you got a lemon. Have you tried asking ram cares? They are obnoxious on the forums and kinda annoying, but they have helped me on my 13 when I has transmission issues and the dealer kept saying it’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerome32

Reaction score
The 6.4 is a really good engine, seems you got a lemon. Have you tried asking ram cares? They are obnoxious on the forums and kinda annoying, but they have helped me on my 13 when I has transmission issues and the dealer kept saying it’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So here’s an update. I filed a complaint with Ram customer care A few weeks ago. They emailed me back the next day apologizing about the service. They directed me to take it to another dealership and have them look at it. The service advisor said he’s heard this noise before and said they get about 1 or 2 of these a year. Right now it’s still at the dealership they are pulling the MDS solenoid and oil to check for metal shavings in them. If they find any it will be an engine change. If they don’t I’m sure there will be more diagnostic steps they will need to do.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Boo. Sorry for your frustration! Seems almost 3 weeks for that update is excessive!

jerome32

Reaction score
Well two of those weeks was me fuming over dealing with the first dealership giving me the truck back and telling me to wait till it breaks. It’s been at the current dealership for a week now. They just called me about 20 mins ago. Ram is telling them to remove the motor and tear it down now instead of just dropping the MDS.

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
That sucks but could work out in the end. You get to put a year or two of miles then get a new ending. Glass is half full or something

jerome32

Reaction score
So got an update today. The dealership called me saying they are changing all the lifters. They didn’t say that’s what is causing the noise though. I wrote a email to my case manager on Friday at Ram saying it’s ridiculous that the truck has now been at the dealership for almost 30 days and nothing has been done. Today the dealership calls me to tell me they are changing the lifters and I’ll have it back Thursday. Kinda fishy but hopefully it’s fixed.

jerome32

Reaction score
So didn’t get the truck back that Thursday. I got an email today from Ram saying they are now changing the engine. I’m guessing they changed the lifters and the noise was still present.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Geez... did they give you an updated ETA to get your truck back?

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Glad to hear they are taking care of the issue, makes me feel better about ordering a Ram :D

Users who are viewing this thread