Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don’t tell me it’s a Hemi tick

jerome32

Reaction score
So my truck is a 2021 bighorn 6.4 Hemi and it has 2104 on the odometer. The last two weeks I’ve noticed the sound in the video. This happens after the truck is warmed up and it’s definitely coming from the lower end. My 2019 Scat pack did not do this. Strange thing is it goes away then comes back. It’s not there on start up only starts knocking after it’s warmed up then goes away later.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
It’s hard to tell from cell phone video audio. Where are you located? Compare against another members truck?

jerome32

Reaction score
So here’s an update. Took the the truck in this morning. They had to reach out to Chrysler for help and they are being told to replace the motor. Not sure what is coming apart inside the motor cause Chrysler doesn’t want them to take it apart, but they do say it’s not normal. The truck has 5200 miles on it and started doing the knocking around 2k.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
So here’s an update. Took the the truck in this morning. They had to reach out to Chrysler for help and they are being told to replace the motor. Not sure what is coming apart inside the motor cause Chrysler doesn’t want them to take it apart, but they do say it’s not normal. The truck has 5200 miles on it and started doing the knocking around 2k.
Wow, at least they aren't skirting around the issue and are dealing with it relatively quickly.

jerome32

Reaction score
Yeah this is the first time I’ve had to deal with warranty work and I’ve been surprised so far. I’ve heard all the horror stories of people trying to get warranty work done.

1964PW

Reaction score
Took my 2020 PW with 14k to the dealer today, same sound as yours just a little more subdued. They said the same thing, had to get with Chrysler about the issue as they had never seen it before. No word on what they think it is or what they may do yet. They do have a TRX on the lot. Gonna push for that to be my loaner.

Nova

Reaction score
I think they sold you a diesel and called it a hemi lol. Wow, sorry to hear that noise

jerome32

Reaction score
Took my 2020 PW with 14k to the dealer today, same sound as yours just a little more subdued. They said the same thing, had to get with Chrysler about the issue as they had never seen it before. No word on what they think it is or what they may do yet. They do have a TRX on the lot. Gonna push for that to be my loaner.
Any word on your truck?

jerome32

Reaction score
So here’s an update in case anyone is following. Initially Ram had told them to replace the engine. The dealership and Ram both acknowledge that the knock is not normal. I went by Friday to put on my permanent tags, the truck still had its 30 day tag on it when I dropped it off. The service advisor told me that since the truck is still running fine and there are no performance issues Ram told them to return the vehicle to me and wait for it to fail even though they both admit the engine is knocking and not normal.

Last edited:

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I'd fight that...who wants to drop this kind of cash on a brand new vehicle, have the mfg admit the engine is defective and then just sit on a time bomb waiting for it to fail? Who knows where you'll be when it fails.

They admitted it's a dud, they should do the right thing and fix it. It's one of those things you'll constantly be worrying about until it's fixed.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So what happens if you are traveling in the truck, far away from any dealer with no cell service?
How do you get it replaced then?

I'm being serious here. I do trips down into Baja, Mexico, often camping in the middle of nowhere with no cell service.

1964PW

Reaction score
Any word on your truck?
Same story, it's like they have read the posts about the tick and regurgitate the same Corp response. "They listened to 3 other 6.4L on the lot and all sound the same. That just tells me there are 4 trucks now with something wrong. It's documented so we will see.

jerome32

Reaction score
Yeah supposedly the service advisor said that to Ram about it stranding me. And this is not the normal “hemi tick” it’s a low end knock. Sounds like piston slap or a wrist pin. When I pick the truck up tomorrow I’m going to try to get what Ram instructed them to do as far as troubleshooting this.

Last edited:

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Probably not applicable because it's still running, but read through your states lemon law. Many have wording that suggests if the vehicle is defective or not operating as it should, you may be able to put in a lemon law complaint.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Holy cow, what a mess! Sorry you are going through this.

jerome32

Reaction score
Holy cow, what a mess! Sorry you are going through this.
Ehhhh it is what it is. But Ram is definitely leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I could care less that the engine is knocking it happens . My problem I have is they know it’s not normal and don’t want to do anything till it leaves me on the side of the road. They didn’t even bother to cut the filter open to see if the motor is eating it self and I even told them to change the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread