Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don’t tell me it’s a Hemi tick

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
They should have to at least make a couple of truck payments for you.

jerome32

Reaction score
I would think at some point days in the shop trump times in the shop. seems like 60 days in the shop would trump 4X's and 20 days.
I’m sure if I got a lemon law lawyer they would get it done. But the law says 20 days and 4x to the shop for the same issue and has been unresolved. The and is what gets ya. I’m sure the dealership would sell me another truck no problem but inventory is so low now. Plus I’ve done some stuff to the truck and I kinda want it back.

jerome32

Reaction score
So finally got my truck back last Wednesday. When they pulled the motor the tech took the old engine apart and found oil the cooling jets had fallen out and where laying in the oil pan. The jets squirt oil onto the underside of the piston and cool it. Since they had fallen out the pistons where overheating and chattering in the cylinder. Also this apparently elevated the cylinder temps and it was cooking the valves as well.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
So finally got my truck back last Wednesday. When they pulled the motor the tech took the old engine apart and found oil the cooling jets had fallen out and where laying in the oil pan. The jets squirt oil onto the underside of the piston and cool it. Since they had fallen out the pistons where overheating and chattering in the cylinder. Also this apparently elevated the cylinder temps and it was cooking the valves as well.
Awesome that they fixed it and gave you an autopsy report. Hopefully smooth sailing for you now.

whitexc

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up. I still don't like this other "normal" Hemi sound.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

RednBlack

Reaction score
So did they replace the motor or just rebuild your old one?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

JALOPYJUNK

Reaction score
So my truck is a 2021 bighorn 6.4 Hemi and it has 2104 on the odometer. The last two weeks I’ve noticed the sound in the video. This happens after the truck is warmed up and it’s definitely coming from the lower end. My 2019 Scat pack did not do this. Strange thing is it goes away then comes back. It’s not there on start up only starts knocking after it’s warmed up then goes away later.
I know what you went through. I have a 2021 2500 Tradesman 6.4 Hemi that I used to love. I was getting 11 mpg in town and 17 on the highway. At around 3000 miles it started getting a rough idle and my city mileage dropped to around 6 mpg. It also started getting a backfire noise at startup. I took it in at 4423 miles and they determined it needed a motor. As per Star Case S1709000010 RevA which is where a lifter roller seized and took out the camshaft. It sent metal shavings through the oil. My truck was in the shop for exactly one month. Still not happy with the truck. The day I picked it up it still didn't feel right. Now after 1400 miles on the new engine I still have rough idle, lack of power, popping noise when starting and six miles per gallon in town. I checked the oil yesterday and it has metal shavings in it. It is going back in the shop as soon as they fix my Ram 1500 that has a warped exhaust manifold. I hope your truck is doing good for you now.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I know what you went through. I have a 2021 2500 Tradesman 6.4 Hemi that I used to love. I was getting 11 mpg in town and 17 on the highway. At around 3000 miles it started getting a rough idle and my city mileage dropped to around 6 mpg. It also started getting a backfire noise at startup. I took it in at 4423 miles and they determined it needed a motor. As per Star Case S1709000010 RevA which is where a lifter roller seized and took out the camshaft. It sent metal shavings through the oil. My truck was in the shop for exactly one month. Still not happy with the truck. The day I picked it up it still didn't feel right. Now after 1400 miles on the new engine I still have rough idle, lack of power, popping noise when starting and six miles per gallon in town. I checked the oil yesterday and it has metal shavings in it. It is going back in the shop as soon as they fix my Ram 1500 that has a warped exhaust manifold. I hope your truck is doing good for you now.

Holy cow that is terrible. Sorry to hear! Maybe try a different dealer this time?

Users who are viewing this thread