Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY: Add Aux Switches to 19+ Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L

Florotory

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to tackle this and the write up was hugely helpful. My wiring experience has only been small electronics, mostly used indoors, so this will be new for me.

Is there a recommendation of brand of wire, or place to get wire? I'm not sure how much the quality of wire varies from brand to brand. Can I just snag whatever off amazon or should I be looking for a specific brand or buying from a specific website?

I just got some off Amazon. Just make sure to get correct size or close as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrevorSmoove

Reaction score
Does Last State work for you guys? 1-6 will not remember no matter what I do, changes through the cluster and AlfaObd do save.

oregonsteelhead

Reaction score
@Florotory

Question... By going through the task of utilizing the factory Grey plugs mounted on the side of the Aux PDC as you did, I assume a large benefit is you could use the OEM Aux Switch Wirking Kit (2019-2020 kit part Mopar 68398184, below) to wire up your accessories, is that what you plan to do?

View attachment 60565

Last, my assumption is that trucks that did not come with factory Aux switches would not have the pass-thru wiring mentioned in the youtube video below, nor would utilizing the grey plug in the above pictured OEM wiring kit bee of use, is that a correct assumption?

Thanks!

Florotory

Reaction score
@Florotory

Question... By going through the task of utilizing the factory Grey plugs mounted on the side of the Aux PDC as you did, I assume a large benefit is you could use the OEM Aux Switch Wirking Kit (2019-2020 kit part Mopar 68398184, below) to wire up your accessories, is that what you plan to do?

View attachment 60565

Last, my assumption is that trucks that did not come with factory Aux switches would not have the pass-thru wiring mentioned in the youtube video below, nor would utilizing the grey plug in the above pictured OEM wiring kit bee of use, is that a correct assumption?

Thanks!
The reason I got the plugs for the side of the AUX PDC is I wanted a factory look and honestly they are in a good spot. If you just buy the plugs you don’t need anything from Mopar. Just pin them and leave the other side of the plug empty till you add an ACC. The plugs are pretty cheap so you can save a ton just by doing it yourself.

As far as pass through your correct. The way I did it you don’t have the pass through although I don’t believe it would be hard to add them if needed/wanted.

In my setup everything functions as OEM. I just didn’t wire in the pass thru wires cause I didn’t need them. I may add them later if needed though. Hope that answers your question.

44Dan44

Reaction score
The reason I got the plugs for the side of the AUX PDC is I wanted a factory look and honestly they are in a good spot. If you just buy the plugs you don’t need anything from Mopar. Just pin them and leave the other side of the plug empty till you add an ACC. The plugs are pretty cheap so you can save a ton just by doing it yourself.

As far as pass through your correct. The way I did it you don’t have the pass through although I don’t believe it would be hard to add them if needed/wanted.

In my setup everything functions as OEM. I just didn’t wire in the pass thru wires cause I didn’t need them. I may add them later if needed though. Hope that answers your question.
Adding to this I would 100% make the effort for the pass throughs, unlocks the available battery and ignition power at rear of truck and provides for great in cab ignition, battery and ground connections. https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/dans-2023-2500-tradesman-unlimited.14060/post-264522
1691160337736.png

Florotory

Reaction score
For those that need that it’s for sure worth doing while you’re adding the switches. I may go back at some point and add this. Thanks for the info

oregonsteelhead

Reaction score
Here’s all the current aux switches part numbers. 19-21 part numbers have a top row of switches that are glossy:
View attachment 51555
22+ part numbers have a top row of switches that are matte.
View attachment 51556

Gas trucks, top row of switches called out, bottom row is 6 aux switches:
Tow/haul, traction control:
19-21: 68476018AB
22+: 68578987AA
Tow/haul, traction control, rear park assist:
19-21: 68476044AB
22+: 68579000AA
Tow/haul, traction control, front and rear park assist:
19-21: 68476024AB
22+: 68578990AA
Air suspension, tow/haul, traction control, front and rear park assist:
19-21: 68476025AB
22+: 68578991AA

Diesel trucks, top row called out, bottom row is 6 aux switches:
Tow/haul, exhaust brake:
19-21: 68376642AE
22+: 68578992AA
Tow/haul, exhaust brake, rear park assist:
19-21: 68476053AB
22+: 68579002AA
Tow/haul, exhaust brake, front and rear park assist:
19-21: 68476031AA (now replaced by 2022 part number)
22+: 68578994AA
Air suspension, tow/haul, exhaust brake, front and rear park assist:
19-21: 68476035AB
22+: 68578995AA

@Jimmy07 Thanks for this, super helpful. Question: I've got a 2020 3500 HO (w/Air suspension, tow/haul, exhaust brake, front and rear park assist switches). I'm doing the Aux switch addition mod, I tried ordering PN 68476035AB, however according to Moparpartsgiant, this has been discontinued. Should I be able to use the 22+ part (PN 68578995AA) w/o issue? Only difference would be switches will be matte black, rather than gloss. Am I correct in this thinking?

ZFORCE

Reaction score
Here’s all the current aux switches part numbers. 19-21 part numbers have a top row of switches that are glossy:
View attachment 51555
22+ part numbers have a top row of switches that are matte.
View attachment 51556

Gas trucks, top row of switches called out, bottom row is 6 aux switches:
Tow/haul, traction control:
19-21: 68476018AB
22+: 68578987AA
Tow/haul, traction control, rear park assist:
19-21: 68476044AB
22+: 68579000AA
Tow/haul, traction control, front and rear park assist:
19-21: 68476024AB
22+: 68578990AA
Air suspension, tow/haul, traction control, front and rear park assist:
19-21: 68476025AB
22+: 68578991AA

Diesel trucks, top row called out, bottom row is 6 aux switches:
Tow/haul, exhaust brake:
19-21: 68376642AE
22+: 68578992AA
Tow/haul, exhaust brake, rear park assist:
19-21: 68476053AB
22+: 68579002AA
Tow/haul, exhaust brake, front and rear park assist:
19-21: 68476031AA (now replaced by 2022 part number)
22+: 68578994AA
Air suspension, tow/haul, exhaust brake, front and rear park assist:
19-21: 68476035AB
22+: 68578995AA
Jimmy as you know I am in the middle of adding a 12.1” screen, and so I have a 2020 and a 2019 center stack, both have the aux switches are they functionally the same? Can I use either one on my 2021 Tradesman Cummins? Both have the 12.1” screen. Also one has the Lane assist button, should I keep that button in case I want to ad Lane assist later? Thanks

Florotory

Reaction score
Jimmy as you know I am in the middle of adding a 12.1” screen, and so I have a 2020 and a 2019 center stack, both have the aux switches are they functionally the same? Can I use either one on my 2021 Tradesman Cummins? Both have the 12.1” screen. Also one has the Lane assist button, should I keep that button in case I want to ad Lane assist later? Thanks
If your referring to the aux switches working, as long at the other functions (exhaust brake, park sensors ect) are the same everything should work just fine.

Look up the upfitter diagram on previous page and you can verify the wiring is all the same as what you have.

ZFORCE

Reaction score
If your referring to the aux switches working, as long at the other functions (exhaust brake, park sensors ect) are the same everything should work just fine.

Look up the upfitter diagram on previous page and you can verify the wiring is all the same as what you have.
Thanks, all I have is 2 12.1” center stacks, complete. My truck didn’t come with the aux. switches but the center stacks both have them. So it really doesn’t matter which aux switches I use, thanks Florotory! I am planning on wiring them per factory.

I have another question for the forum, I noticed that the aux switches have Large fuses as in 40 amp, 25 amp etc the smallest being 20 amp. Fog lights only require 10 amp at most but no one is talking about using smaller fuses in the aux switch system, what gives?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Thanks, all I have is 2 12.1” center stacks, complete. My truck didn’t come with the aux. switches but the center stacks both have them. So it really doesn’t matter which aux switches I use, thanks Florotory! I am planning on wiring them per factory.

I have another question for the forum, I noticed that the aux switches have Large fuses as in 40 amp, 25 amp etc the smallest being 20 amp. Fog lights only require 10 amp at most but no one is talking about using smaller fuses in the aux switch system, what gives?
Since you have a Cummins, the only important thing is that you use a display screen and aux switch bank that came from a Cummins. This is because a Cummins display screen has the traction control button up top. The aux switch banks for Cummins do not have a traction control button, but have the exhaust brake button. The aux switch banks for Hemis have a traction control button, but no exhaust brake button. Having extra buttons for features your truck isn’t equipped with won’t matter, they will just stay illuminated orange (off position).

Florotory

Reaction score

As far as fuses just stay with correct amp rating for what you’re powering. I did mine how OE had theirs, but if I need something higher/lower I’ll swap it if needed.

Florotory

Reaction score
Ive had quite a few messages about building a Harness "kit" to add the AUX switches to yalls trucks. If anyone else is interested feel free to PM me. Not looking to make a ton of money on them, just helping out the community.
Kit would include:
-jumper harness from back of Centerstack to the OE harness
-harness from centerstack to AUX PDC to control the Accessories (in the same wire loom as above)
-Wiring for PDC
-Gray OE plugs for side of PDC (only PDC side pinned)
-pins to wire the Acc side of whatever you add later to the truck
-Fuses for PDC except the 25A fuse because they don't come in the pack, I buy so I provide a 30A fuse
-1 extra pin of each connection just in case something happens while hooking everything up. The PDC connections can be a pain so it's easier and cheaper to just provide an extra set of pins.
-Wire diagrams printed out and shipped with the kit. Same ones posted in the thread.

Then shipped to you.. Once again not looking to become Bill Gates on these things. Just know that when I did mine it would save me a ton of time if I had a premade harness.

Only thing you would have to source is the relays. You can get them on Ebay. If you really want me to get them, I can you would just have to pay for the actual cost of them/shipping.

v30

Reaction score
Jumper Wire in PDC:
For this you will need 6 pieces of 12ga wire (red) cut to approx 6in in length; 6 terminal PN:180351-2; 6 terminal PN:42475-2 and 12 ~1/2" cut pieces of heat shrink.
One end of the wire gets the Male terminal, and the other gets the Female Terminal.
Heat shrink the bare piece of the terminal
Jumper wires should now be done and look like this:
View attachment 51168
This will end up going from post 30 on the relay to the Fuse. 1 per aux switch
@Florotory
I have a question about part number 42475-2. This part number seems to be for a maximum wire size of 18 gauge. But the red 6 inch pigtails in the description are made with 12 gauge wire. I’m having a hard time crimping the 18 gauge connector on the 12 gauge wire. Was this also the case for you or did I somehow order the wrong part number 42475-2?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR WRITE UP!!

@Jimmy07

If I order the diesel pn for the air,Jake,front,and rear sensors, but I do not have factory air, can I use the air switch in this pn to simply turn my air rig on/off? This would save using one of my aux switches for my bags and gives me a branded button to use to trigger it. It’s essentially 7 aux switches, for me anyways.

Florotory

Reaction score
They were deff challenging. However the couple harnesses I’ve built for others lately I’ve used different pins. However if you already have those they will work. You can order the pins that are used for the big grey plugs on the side of the pdc. They should work as well.

886168634df5e7b46bcc68f9c748b094.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v30

Reaction score
Thank you I I ordered double everything so I will use my extras of the other part.

Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread