Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY: Add Aux Switches to 19+ Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L

Florotory

Reaction score
I was thinking about making some security bypass cables as well as the aux harness to help people out a little more. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct connector? Thanks
IMG_6319.png

Rabbo

Reaction score
I will take possession of a new 2023 megacab 2500 in two weeks, one of the options I was after was the factory aux switches, unfortunately, this truck didn't check that box. I was going to order the Mopar auxiliary kit https://www.moparamerica.com/oem-parts/mopar-auxiliary-switch-kit-82216450ab then I stumbled on to this thread. From reading it sounds like this would be somewhat of a waste of money since the truck comes with a PDC, it's just not wired and missing the grey connectors. Is that correct?
also with this kit, it looks like I would be splicing into wires and I prefer not to do that.

@Florotory are you still offering the premade harnesses? I'm sure I could do it with the nice writeup you put together but It sounds like you have had practice..... lol

v30

Reaction score
This can be done, but it’s truly a pain in the ass (it’s been at the bottom of my to do list for the better part of a year). Something no one addresses here is the distinct possibility of warranty claims being denied on the truck. In my case, I’m most concerned about the aux pdc work than anything else. The relays I found came from china, and while not awful, they are sitting in a fuse bank with mopar relays sitting right beside them. The same relays recalled about 3 years ago. So for anyone that hasn’t had the recalls done yet, might be best to do those before you start tearing into your aux pdc and making wiring modifications. That’s just my two cents.

I’m not saying ram will deny any warranty on a post aux switch install, but it’s safe to assume they will. If I was in your seat and about to take possession of a truck that didn’t have them, I’d seriously consider ordering a truck that comes with them. If I was in your seat, I would.

Florotory

Reaction score
I will take possession of a new 2023 megacab 2500 in two weeks, one of the options I was after was the factory aux switches, unfortunately, this truck didn't check that box. I was going to order the Mopar auxiliary kit https://www.moparamerica.com/oem-parts/mopar-auxiliary-switch-kit-82216450ab then I stumbled on to this thread. From reading it sounds like this would be somewhat of a waste of money since the truck comes with a PDC, it's just not wired and missing the grey connectors. Is that correct?
also with this kit, it looks like I would be splicing into wires and I prefer not to do that.

@Florotory are you still offering the premade harnesses? I'm sure I could do it with the nice writeup you put together but It sounds like you have had practice..... lol
Sent Dm

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This can be done, but it’s truly a pain in the ass (it’s been at the bottom of my to do list for the better part of a year). Something no one addresses here is the distinct possibility of warranty claims being denied on the truck. In my case, I’m most concerned about the aux pdc work than anything else. The relays I found came from china, and while not awful, they are sitting in a fuse bank with mopar relays sitting right beside them. The same relays recalled about 3 years ago. So for anyone that hasn’t had the recalls done yet, might be best to do those before you start tearing into your aux pdc and making wiring modifications. That’s just my two cents.

I’m not saying ram will deny any warranty on a post aux switch install, but it’s safe to assume they will. If I was in your seat and about to take possession of a truck that didn’t have them, I’d seriously consider ordering a truck that comes with them. If I was in your seat, I would.

PDC relay recall? Don't recall such a thing. FWIW, the OE relays are made by SONG CHUAN.

There was a Grid Heater relay recall.

Please clarify. Provide a link if you have something.

Florotary can assemble a kit that's plug and play if you have the skill and fortitude to insert wires into the BCM connectors, etc. and an AlfaOBD setup. He has a great DIY writeup that's been stickied.

You can also source the OE relays (~$100 for all 6). Current PN: 68603769AA.

$3.50 each if you get them from ebay.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

If the truck has the Trailer reverse steering, not only does that have to come out, but the radio bezel would need to also be swapped as the traction control button is on the lower switch panel instead of the top of the radio.

If you don't have the trailer steering, then the question that nobody has appeared to have ever answered is, "What is already present for the "AUX prep kit that comes on the 23+ trucks?"

Are there already 6 micro relays and 6 fuses populated in the Aux PDC locations (in addition to the 3 diesel cabin heater fuses)?

1704095542497.png

v30

Reaction score
Correct, the relay was for the heater grid relay. Rumors of trucks burning up in driveways with an oem relay is scary enough. lol.

Whether or not a dealer will be able to tell if the aftermarket work was done will depend on the professionalism of the wiring and the potential need to reflash the computer to stock each time you have to take it in.

Great point about the trailer steering.

And I’m not downplaying the ability to upfit the switches. It can be done, and for those of us ‘stuck’ with the trucks that don’t already have them, this thread is a true lifesaver. So thank you all for that. However if I were to purchase the truck now, having installed them, I’d order them next time 100%.

Many thanks to all the contributors to this thread for allowing me and others to install these aftermarket.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct, the relay was for the heater grid relay. Rumors of trucks burning up in driveways with an oem relay is scary enough. lol.

Whether or not a dealer will be able to tell if the aftermarket work was done will depend on the professionalism of the wiring and the potential need to reflash the computer to stock each time you have to take it in.

Great point about the trailer steering.

And I’m not downplaying the ability to upfit the switches. It can be done, and for those of us ‘stuck’ with the trucks that don’t already have them, this thread is a true lifesaver. So thank you all for that. However if I were to purchase the truck now, having installed them, I’d order them next time 100%.

Many thanks to all the contributors to this thread for allowing me and others to install these aftermarket.

The warranty concern is certainly a valid one.

"the potential need to reflash the computer to stock each time you have to take it in."

Literally nobody that has done DIY sales feature addons does this. PCM and other module flash updates don't disturb the settings in the BCM. Only if they reset and flashed the BCM would one have to redo them, I think I've even had the BCM flashed and the settings stuck so as long as it's not factory reset.

Also, technically it's not "flashing" when you add or change options, it's just altering settings in the BCM. Flashing to stock might be something an owner with an engine or trans tune might do.

v30

Reaction score
@Florotory
For the jumper harness, it takes six gold female connectors, and one male connector, correct? It seems that the part number indicated for the connection to the relay is a female terminal and not the male terminal, needed for the relay?

Florotory

Reaction score
@Florotory
For the jumper harness, it takes six gold female connectors, and one male connector, correct? It seems that the part number indicated for the connection to the relay is a female terminal and not the male terminal, needed for the relay?
Yes 6 gold and 1 male part number CID100-6.3-MS3 from connector ID. If you’re referring to the daisy chain in the PDC.

thunder63cs

Reaction score
I might have a new switch bank and the aux power distribution center kit coming in as I ordered them a while ago and they never shipped and went unavailable and I found one at a dealer near me lol . once in hand will know it truly shipped after I was told the order wans cancelled by the dealer that the mopar estore put it through . it would be the part numbers
68596339AA​
Instrument Panel Switch​
68512072AA​
Auxiliary Power Distribution Center Kit

I bought @Florotory kit he made and it is very well done and a very good price. I still need to pull the pdc box apart and finish my install but been bad weather here lately. On my 23 2500 rebel diesel when I swapped the panel switch out I already had the grey connector with the extra wiring there taht see to go to the aux switches but need to double check inside the PDC to see if they terminated them in there. I know part of the wiring inside the PDC is missing as I only have 1 blade for the fuses showing. I might be able to get to it int he morning before I go to my job interview .

ZFORCE

Reaction score

Ram cannot deny a warranty claim unless they can prove that whatever failure they have is due to the modification. The Magnussen Moss act applies.

Cinder2023

Reaction score
Researching this for my 2023 2500 Hemi, and I am seeing the following part available as a "kit" that is good for '21 through '23. Any reason why this wouldn't work instead of having to create all of the wiring harnesses myself? It looks like it may just need some of the fuses (possibly moved over from the existing PDC) and then t-taps into the existing wiring harness behind the dash. Only big issue I see is that it appears to come with the switch panel, but there are no options for getting the correct panel for my VIN. Anyone try anything like this? Is there an option somewhere to get it without the switch panel, and just swap in the correct one?

Auxiliary Switch Kit - Mopar (82216450AB)​

tojo

Reaction score
Researching this for my 2023 2500 Hemi, and I am seeing the following part available as a "kit" that is good for '21 through '23. Any reason why this wouldn't work instead of having to create all of the wiring harnesses myself? It looks like it may just need some of the fuses (possibly moved over from the existing PDC) and then t-taps into the existing wiring harness behind the dash. Only big issue I see is that it appears to come with the switch panel, but there are no options for getting the correct panel for my VIN. Anyone try anything like this? Is there an option somewhere to get it without the switch panel, and just swap in the correct one?

Auxiliary Switch Kit - Mopar (82216450AB)​

I ordered this a while ago from BAM Warehouse and just installed. I still need to activate with AlfaOBD. If I remember correctly when I bought it they asked for my VIN and I got the appropriate switch panel.

glastron

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone; Thank you so much for having this forum; it has been awesome. I am stuck in a bit of the same situation...new truck did not have the aux switch but dealer thought it could add without problem. I was and they were confident with the kit available from the VIN / Ram computer catalogue... We are now at 2 kits that came is and still not a match...The issue: My truck has 5 functions on it current panel (2 park sensors, 1 Air susp, 1 traction control and 1 Tow/haul). The Aux switch kits have all arrived without one function. Looking at the part numbers provided by you guys above, it seems it also lacks the features I have. Would you guys have any guidance on proper part number for the issue? Thank you!

Attachments

• Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 16

glastron

Reaction score
Here’s all the current aux switches part numbers. 19-21 part numbers have a top row of switches that are glossy:
View attachment 51555
22+ part numbers have a top row of switches that are matte.
View attachment 51556

Gas trucks, top row of switches called out, bottom row is 6 aux switches:
Tow/haul, traction control:
19-21: 68476018AB
22+: 68578987AA
Tow/haul, traction control, rear park assist:
19-21: 68476044AB
22+: 68579000AA
Tow/haul, traction control, front and rear park assist:
19-21: 68476024AB
22+: 68578990AA
Air suspension, tow/haul, traction control, front and rear park assist:
19-21: 68476025AB
22+: 68578991AA

Diesel trucks, top row called out, bottom row is 6 aux switches:
Tow/haul, exhaust brake:
19-21: 68376642AE
22+: 68578992AA
Tow/haul, exhaust brake, rear park assist:
19-21: 68476053AB
22+: 68579002AA
Tow/haul, exhaust brake, front and rear park assist:
19-21: 68476031AA (now replaced by 2022 part number)
22+: 68578994AA
Air suspension, tow/haul, exhaust brake, front and rear park assist:
19-21: 68476035AB
22+: 68578995AA
This is awesome, thank you very much.

tojo

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone; Thank you so much for having this forum; it has been awesome. I am stuck in a bit of the same situation...new truck did not have the aux switch but dealer thought it could add without problem. I was and they were confident with the kit available from the VIN / Ram computer catalogue... We are now at 2 kits that came is and still not a match...The issue: My truck has 5 functions on it current panel (2 park sensors, 1 Air susp, 1 traction control and 1 Tow/haul). The Aux switch kits have all arrived without one function. Looking at the part numbers provided by you guys above, it seems it also lacks the features I have. Would you guys have any guidance on proper part number for the issue? Thank you!
What I ordered (not sure if numbers have changed). Picture is of the switch panel they sent.

Attachments

• 20240112_150355.jpg
    20240112_150355.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240104_111658.jpg
    20240104_111658.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 30

twmallett

Reaction score
@Florotory I picked up my 2023 this past weekend and it didn't come with the Aux switches. If you still have a wiring harness available I would like to see about getting one. I'm ordering the switch bank now and the relays and fuses. Let me know if you have another one available. Thanks, Tim

Rabbo

Reaction score
Hello, I am finally getting around to sorting out the aux switches as well as the led bed lights. I want to get the Security Gateway Module Bypass, what product are you guys using? From what I have researched there are several ways to go about it. There is the harness from kaodtech https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass that connects to canbus blocks up behind the parking brake area (Currently not available). And there is the bypass module from infotainment https://infotainment.com/shop/interior-accessories/obd-genie-programmers/c-modbyp/ that requires the removal of the cluster.
And third one similar to the infotainment https://ecri.app/products/ecri-security-module-bypass-2018-jeep-ram also requires the removal of the cluster.
Also what setting using alfaobd need to be changed to make the aux switches functional? I believe there are two settings?
Any help would be appreciated, this is the nerve-racking part...

Thanks...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I am finally getting around to sorting out the aux switches as well as the led bed lights. I want to get the Security Gateway Module Bypass, what product are you guys using? From what I have researched there are several ways to go about it. There is the harness from kaodtech https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass that connects to canbus blocks up behind the parking brake area (Currently not available). And there is the bypass module from infotainment https://infotainment.com/shop/interior-accessories/obd-genie-programmers/c-modbyp/ that requires the removal of the cluster.
And third one similar to the infotainment https://ecri.app/products/ecri-security-module-bypass-2018-jeep-ram also requires the removal of the cluster.
Also what setting using alfaobd need to be changed to make the aux switches functional? I believe there are two settings?
Any help would be appreciated, this is the nerve-racking part...

Thanks...

Do NOT get a bypass cable/brick that connects directly to the SGM behind the cluster. Major PITA.

If the KAoDTECH cables are OOS, reach out to Jimmy07 here. If he has parts and bandwidth, he can hook you up.

Thre's only one setting to enable AUX switch bank.

Link takes you to POST #1 in this thread. Read the posts Florotory went to a lot a time and effort to make for the benefit of everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread