Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Ya'll Get This Letter Too? - PARTICULATE MATTER SENSOR

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Got the recall yesterday, as OLEJOE stated I got the same story, inspect first then order as needed. I havent had repeated regens as others and am leary about having this done soon. More smog stuff is never a good thing for performance and mileage.
I live in Ca. and had to have my 22 2500 diesel smogged for registraton ??!!!!$$$$ Called the DMV to make sure this was correct only being a year old, and they stated the diesels have to be smogged EACH year.

50$ a ^%$# year for a visual inspection, the smog guy said his machine would be ruined if he stuck the exhaust probe in the exhaust pipe to determine if it smog compliant?!? He stated that diesel guys tweek their trucks more than gassers for performance, now if you do tweek your rig you will have to return the engine to stock performance/parts each year.

Idaho is looking better every day now.
Idaho is full. Maybe Texas :D

Two Rivers

Reaction score
I had the Y43 recall done on Monday. I have been having the frequent regen problem for about 1.5 months now (started around 10k on odometer). Regens are occurring every other day when DPF filter hits 35-40% full (approx. 40-45 miles driving). After regen the DPF shows 0%. It bumps up to 20% after driving approx. 15-20 miles (doesn't matter if hwy or city). This past weekend On a 60 mile round trip the regen started around 3 miles from home and was complete around mile 30. Drove around town approx. 20 miles and headed home when began 2nd regen which lasted for about 25 miles. Since completing the recall on Monday I had one regen on Tuesday afternoon. The DPF was close to 30% when I picked up the truck from the dealership. As of this morning my DPF is showing 25% with approx. 20 miles driving since last regen. The service guy seemed to think the recall would stop the regen frequency problem, however I'm expecting a regen to occur again this afternoon on the way home from work. We shall see!!!
I just got the recall letter. I’m curious since it’s been a month since this comment, are you still having the frequency issue with regen?

RonWagnon

Reaction score
I just got the recall letter. I’m curious since it’s been a month since this comment, are you still having the frequency issue with regen?
Yes, still having excessive Regens. I actually dropped it off at the dealership this morning. They called me yesterday afternoon and asked could I bring it in as RAM had contacted them and gave them a list of things to check. Regens are occurring every 35 to 50 miles of travel. Doesn't matter what speed I'm traveling. I've been watching the EVIC and my I-Dash and as soon as a Regen completes the gages immediately start climbing back up. EVIC Regens begin when gage is between 45-50% and I-Dash is at 100%. Not sure why gages are different, maybe something to do with different method of calculating soot % between RAM and Banks. Hopefully they figure something out but I'm not holding my breath.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I called yesterday and still no parts for recall on my truck. Initiated on 8/24.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, still having excessive Regens. I actually dropped it off at the dealership this morning. They called me yesterday afternoon and asked could I bring it in as RAM had contacted them and gave them a list of things to check. Regens are occurring every 35 to 50 miles of travel. Doesn't matter what speed I'm traveling. I've been watching the EVIC and my I-Dash and as soon as a Regen completes the gages immediately start climbing back up. EVIC Regens begin when gage is between 45-50% and I-Dash is at 100%. Not sure why gages are different, maybe something to do with different method of calculating soot % between RAM and Banks. Hopefully they figure something out but I'm not holding my breath.

I wonder if they damaged another sensor while making the repair.

The I-Dash is reading the PID for regen to start, it will always start at 100%. That 100% can be from time, 24 hours, or soot loading. With a properly operating system the DPF will trigger a regen at approx 45-50% soot loading. So 24 hours since last regen = 100% and 45-50% soot loading = 100%. The PID reports whichever is higher. If its based on soot loading you will see it bouncing around often, if it's time based you will see it increase 0.4% every 5:45 or 1% every 14:24. On average I see soot loading being the higher percentage until about 12 hours since the last regen, and then hours takes over. That's when driving that is conducive to 24 hour regens.

The EVIC only shows soot loading, so that's why the regen starts at 45-50%.

RonWagnon

Reaction score
I wonder if they damaged another sensor while making the repair.

The I-Dash is reading the PID for regen to start, it will always start at 100%. That 100% can be from time, 24 hours, or soot loading. With a properly operating system the DPF will trigger a regen at approx 45-50% soot loading. So 24 hours since last regen = 100% and 45-50% soot loading = 100%. The PID reports whichever is higher. If its based on soot loading you will see it bouncing around often, if it's time based you will see it increase 0.4% every 5:45 or 1% every 14:24. On average I see soot loading being the higher percentage until about 12 hours since the last regen, and then hours takes over. That's when driving that is conducive to 24 hour regens.

The EVIC only shows soot loading, so that's why the regen starts at 45-50%.
Thank You for the explanation. That makes more sense. Now if they can figure out what's wrong I'll be good to go.

RonWagnon

Reaction score
Thank You for the explanation. That makes more sense. Now if they can figure out what's wrong I'll be good to go.
Also, should the I-Dash ever go to 0? The lowest I've seen it go after a Regen is 35-40%.

Clarence007

Reaction score
In Northern B.C. I'm on a 8 week waiting list for the PM sensor. There are 7 customers ahead of me and the parts guy is only allowed to order 1 per week. Quite the system Ram has....

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Good luck with them figuring it out. If they do, let us know. There are trucks all over this country that are having problems after having these numerous recalls done. Jenny Craig program is looking better and better.

And my truck is 4 months old.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, should the I-Dash ever go to 0? The lowest I've seen it go after a Regen is 35-40%.

It's doubtful it will ever go to 0%. I have only seen under 10% twice, once after towing 7 hours and then going into a 24 hour regen. I also shut the truck off within minutes of the regen completion (it showed ~35% until shutdown), and the second time was after a stationary regen. It normally goes to ~35% at the completion of a regen, but will be lower at the next restart.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Anyone know how long we can go without having this recall done? Is there a time limit for a “free” fix?

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
Anyone know how long we can go without having this recall done? Is there a time limit for a “free” fix?
Depends where you are. Here in California we need proof that it was complete for registration. The dealer will give paper showing it’s done and submit with registration.

It’s a emission recall so it will stay open until complete….free.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Depends where you are. Here in California we need proof that it was complete for registration. The dealer will give paper showing it’s done and submit with registration.

It’s a emission recall so it will stay open until complete….free.
Thanks, good to know.

wpgram

Reaction score
I have a 22 with 13,000 KM and mine is the opposite, it never regens. I know it did twice when it was a few months old but the last 6 months it hasn't, the particle filter is always at 0%. Would this be due to the sensor?
I have not received a recall in the mail yet.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 22 with 13,000 KM and mine is the opposite, it never regens. I know it did twice when it was a few months old but the last 6 months it hasn't, the particle filter is always at 0%. Would this be due to the sensor?
I have not received a recall in the mail yet.

Your truck does regen, every 24 hours of engine rune time at most. If the DPF gauge shows 0% then you’ll still regen every 24 hours.

The sensor has no bearing on regen frequency from what I can tell.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Your truck does regen, every 24 hours of engine rune time at most. If the DPF gauge shows 0% then you’ll still regen every 24 hours.

The sensor has no bearing on regen frequency from what I can tell.

It’s a “particulate matter” (soot) sensor. If it senses particulate matter as being too high at the outlet of the exhaust, will it throw a code indicating a problem with the DPF or, maybe, cause a regen? With the associated software module, the tie-in to the ECM, and the fact that CARB requires it, if available, it has to do something, most likely undesireable.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s a “particulate matter” (soot) sensor. If it senses particulate matter as being too high at the outlet of the exhaust, will it throw a code indicating a problem with the DPF or, maybe, cause a regen?

My understanding is that it is there to monitor the health of the DPF, not the soot loading. So it won’t trigger a regen, but should trigger a DPF fault if the DPF isn’t working like it should.

Users who are viewing this thread