Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Ya'll Get This Letter Too? - PARTICULATE MATTER SENSOR

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Question, my DPF filter gauge has never come off of zero. Is that due to lack of a sensor and the recall is going to address that ? If that’s the case would my truck just be doing the 24 hour regen ? Thanks

OLEJOE

Reaction score
That would be a different sensor than the one in the recall. The sensor in the recall is there to detect a failed or damaged DPF and check the amount of particulate getting through the DPF.

Wholeo

Reaction score
Any pros/cons to not having the sensor installed? My truck is 15 months with 3,200 miles, it has not done a regen or at least
I don't think it has. I drive a Powersrtoke for work, so I am all too familiar with that smelly event.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Any pros/cons to not having the sensor installed? My truck is 15 months with 3,200 miles, it has not done a regen or at least
I don't think it has. I drive a Powersrtoke for work, so I am all too familiar with that smelly event.

Your truck has certainly regened in 3200 miles, probably a few times. Take a look at you total hours and divide that by 24 and that’s the minimum number of times your truck has done a regen.

It’s haven’t seen anything definitively negative from the recall, there are some suspect programming issues but nothing concrete and they are rare. Biggest thing I’ve seen is improper routing of the sensors wiring harness, but the dealerships are likely more experienced by now.

The sensor is completely passive in day to day operations, but can help identify a failing DPF.

I haven’t seen any real pro’s to not having it done, and it’s not going to hurt anything to get it installed.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you monitor pretty closely, have you noted a particular highway speed / rpm that seems to generate the best conditions for passive regeneration to occur when operating the truck unloaded at highway speed?

Sorry, little late to answer this question.

Speed really varies, but what I have seen is that at 22+ mpg there isn't any passive regen, 18-22 mpg is more of a net neutral, and anything less than 18 mpg will have continious passive regen. Below 12 mpg and you're cleaning it failry quickly.

If I want to jump on the interstate and try to reduce the DPF gauge it takes 10-15 miles at 85 mph empty to reduce it.

I do get some passive regen at 35-45 mph, despite the mpgs, due to the extremely low rpms causing a higher EGT and thus a hotter DPF.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, little late to answer this question.

Speed really varies, but what I have seen is that at 22+ mpg there isn't any passive regen, 18-22 mpg is more of a net neutral, and anything less than 18 mpg will have continious passive regen. Below 12 mpg and you're cleaning it failry quickly.

If I want to jump on the interstate and try to reduce the DPF gauge it takes 10-15 miles at 85 mph empty to reduce it.

I do get some passive regen at 35-45 mph, despite the mpgs, due to the extremely low rpms causing a higher EGT and thus a hotter DPF.
I really appreciate that. This would track with what I’ve been seeing in my 2022 DRW HO. I have to keep in the fuel to see passive regen on the highway. I’m usually running 72-75 and that seems to be getting fairly good results, but that only seems to be the case since I switched fuel stations. Whatever fuel I was getting prior, it seemed like passive regeneration just didn’t happen unless I ran for over an hour at 72-75 and even then, we’re talking marginal decreases.

CurtJ

Reaction score
Well, went to my dealer last week with a CEL on and it’s another Diesel Particulate Matter sensor…ugh. This is the second one to go bad on my 2019. First one was covered by warranty at 20k and I’m sure this one WONT BE at 61k…grrrrr. I wish they would just shut the CEL off permanently for this code so I don’t have to look at it for 6 months and add to that with a CEL your remote start will NOT work.
Due to the strike the dealer said no idea how long it’s gonna take to get one; said National backorder. Good grief!

CurtJ

Reaction score
Toyota needs to come up with an HD.
Sadly there is a lot of truth to that…:-/ Toyota builds a good product but I think Rams engineers are better than this and so are Cummins’.
They all need to tell the EPA to take a flying leap and take this DPF and DEF crapolla off of these trucks OR make the Govt warranty our trucks for as long as the original owner owns it!

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Finally got my first regen on the 24 hour mark. Has been regening every 10-12 hours except when towing. Regened at the 24 hour mark with DPF gauge on 0 percent but I ran it for the previous 300 miles at 75 mph and sometimes a little higher. Road trip seemed to help a lot. DPF gauge was up about 1/16 (halfway to the first mark) when we left and pretty quickly fell to zero. 24 hours and 1003 miles since last regen. 1250 miles on new FleetGuard AF 27684 air filter.

Dfdlamson52

Reaction score
Not sure if this is related but my engine light came on at around 750 miles so I called the dealer right away. I was able to get the truck looked at today 1075 miles on and within 25 min or so they said I need a DPF. Is there a string of bad DPFs or luck of the draw?

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Not sure if this is related but my engine light came on at around 750 miles so I called the dealer right away. I was able to get the truck looked at today 1075 miles on and within 25 min or so they said I need a DPF. Is there a string of bad DPFs or luck of the draw?
Not sure. It could be coolant from a leaking EGR cooler or oil from a leaking turbo seal killing the DPF. Looks like it was diagnosed really fast though. Keep us updated.

KCWildGuy

Reaction score
So I have a fun one with the recall. I went in for an oil change, grid heater relay, and the Particulate Matter Sensor recall on my 22. They did the oil change, and he flashed the computer for Y43 at the same time. Then he went to parts to find that they didn't have any of them in stock. Didn't tell me until I picked up the truck and had a CEL on, and I had to ask. "Lost communication with particulate matter sensor". I am at 8k miles, and haven't had a single issue. Since they did this, I have been getting the frequent regens, about 50 miles apart, I can watch the gauge climb until it regens. Made an appointment to get it installed because they had one, showed up, no sensor in stock. Finally got them to tell me this morning that it is on order, and it will be in "in a few weeks, you're number 2 on the list". I had a 1500 mile road trip planned, but not if my mileage is going to suck, we'll take the wife's car. I get 20 MPG, but only 16 when it is in a regen.

Does anyone have any idea if the missing sensor may cause the frequent regens, or did I just luck out and it started happening at the same time? Trying to decide if I need to involve @RamCares or give them one more chance.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I can’t say for sure but I’ve heard that some of their update programs have corrupted software. I feel your pain and frustration. I have 7900 miles on my 22 and it’s running great. I made 4 or 5 attempts to get the Y43 update done. I called. I left voicemails. I emailed. Crickets. There is no incentive for me to get this done.
On the regen issue, check the air filter and make sure it has the 53034051ab filter in it without the glue strips. Try getting fuel at a different vendor. I have to run mine 75+ mph for 30-40 minutes to get it to passive regen or hook to my travel trailer and take a drive. I changed my air filter at 6300 miles and it made a world of difference in my regens and the way it runs. Just saying.

Last edited:

KCWildGuy

Reaction score
Yeah, I had no incentive until he decided to start without looking to see if they had the part in stock.
There is no incentive for me to get this done.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I don’t think the problem starting when they started diddle sticking your ECM is coincidence. Is your luck really that bad?

KCWildGuy

Reaction score
Usually, yes it is. It would be just my luck that it started at the same time by coincidence. But I do not pretend to be a mechanic, I only play one on TV. I am hoping that someday, I will get a PM Sensor, and all will be right in my world.

Is your luck really that bad?

baker01

Reaction score
So I have a fun one with the recall. I went in for an oil change, grid heater relay, and the Particulate Matter Sensor recall on my 22. They did the oil change, and he flashed the computer for Y43 at the same time. Then he went to parts to find that they didn't have any of them in stock. Didn't tell me until I picked up the truck and had a CEL on, and I had to ask. "Lost communication with particulate matter sensor". I am at 8k miles, and haven't had a single issue. Since they did this, I have been getting the frequent regens, about 50 miles apart, I can watch the gauge climb until it regens. Made an appointment to get it installed because they had one, showed up, no sensor in stock. Finally got them to tell me this morning that it is on order, and it will be in "in a few weeks, you're number 2 on the list". I had a 1500 mile road trip planned, but not if my mileage is going to suck, we'll take the wife's car. I get 20 MPG, but only 16 when it is in a regen.

Does anyone have any idea if the missing sensor may cause the frequent regens, or did I just luck out and it started happening at the same time? Trying to decide if I need to involve @RamCares or give them one more chance.
I had this issue. went in to get the recall, flashed my computer and told me I already had the sensor. I had to show them that it was in fact not installed. The dealer did not want me to drive the truck with the flash done and the sensor missing. They gave me a rental and somehow found a sensor within a couple of days. Did they do this to someone else to put you number two on the list? If not you should be number one.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Usually, yes it is. It would be just my luck that it started at the same time by coincidence. But I do not pretend to be a mechanic, I only play one on TV. I am hoping that someday, I will get a PM Sensor, and all will be right in my world.
I’m sorry. If it was me, I’d put half a bottle (13 oz) of Diesel Kleen Power Service and a full tank of fuel and run it 75-80 mph on the trip you had planned. The cruise probably won’t work with the CEL but I would try to make it passively regen. See if you can borrow a trailer with a heavy load and pull it. That will make it clean itself out.

KCWildGuy

Reaction score
I’m sorry. If it was me, I’d put half a bottle (13 oz) of Diesel Kleen Power Service and a full tank of fuel and run it 75-80 mph on the trip you had planned. The cruise probably won’t work with the CEL but I would try to make it passively regen. See if you can borrow a trailer with a heavy load and pull it. That will make it clean itself out.
Not a bad idea. I have an 8K toy hauler, I could hook up and just drive for an afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread